Pushing the envelope of this forum, non drum related

The government's two most important roles in my opinion are to

#1 - protect our environment
#2 - protect our health

Without health nothing else matters. You can be poor and still eat healthy. Sad thing is that McDonald's intentionally throws up billboards in poorer communties. Get a $1.00 big mac. Meanwhile, that $1.00 could be a head of lettuce or a few apples, etc.

I don't give a darn what someone does in their own home in private but now you're dealing with stoned drivers on pot, etc., etc. Mix that with an overzealous gun owner and who knows? Legalizing drugs sends a bad message. Healthy body = healthy society. Jsut my rant.

The off-topic lounge has been in violation of Drummerworld's forum rules for so-long that they might as well not even exist.

I agree. I think it's sad, really. The Connecticut Shooting thread has spiraled into a political, name-calling, insulting mess. I think it should be locked and I wish the Off-Topic Lounge wasn't there. I don't check it often, but lately I have, and it's sickening.

Everybody is pointing fingers and acting like hardheads. Nobody's listening to anybody....just spouting political rhetoric, some of it downright frightening.

You know....I come to this place because it's a place to get away and TALK DRUMS. Sadly, that's not happening nearly as much these days.

The holiday season is here. I think I'm going to step away from Drummerworld for awhile. Best wishes and happy holidays to you all.

Even if pot is made legal, it would never be sold in bars like alcohol, people would be complaining about second hand smoke like cigarettes. I use to smoke pot when I was a tennager and have tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.

Pot was just legalized here in Colorado. I never cared for it much, but I think I might invest in a pizza delivery business.

How about a unhealthy snack delivery business.Potato chips,soda,ice cream,snickers bars,White Castle hamburgers(sliders).You could make a fortune.:):):)

Steve B

tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.

I've spoken to many people about this and they seem to separate into two camps - those who find pot stimulates their imaginations and senses and those who find it makes them nauseous and sleepy.

Pretty amazing the millions and millions of tax dollars we spend to enforce a useless law.

...they seem to separate into two camps - those who find pot stimulates their imaginations and senses and those who find it makes them nauseous and sleepy.

I don't fall in in your categories, I'm the third category, yes, it makes me cheerful and stimulates the imagination, but definitely not the senses, I'm not able to play the kit while under the effect, it's a disaster... Painting or drawing is different, however, some good things comes out of it.

Like anything, it has both positive attributes and negative attributes. It affects everyone a little differently. For me alcohol is way too powerful a drug to be taken on a daily basis. Even beer. And forget any other prescription drug, powder or psychedelic drug, they are just too powerful too. I don't understand how anyone could drink alcohol on a daily basis, but I defend their right to do so. Criminalization of these types of things only creates criminals where there once was none. I really don't feel I deserve to be classed with criminals, but I am considered a criminal. I can't legally buy a gun to defend myself now. I'll just have to get a crossbow. I think I'm still allowed to get one of those. Steve?

Like anything, it has both positive attributes and negative attributes. It affects everyone a little differently. For me alcohol is way too powerful a drug to be taken on a daily basis. Even beer. And forget any other prescription drug, powder or psychedelic drug, they are just too powerful too. I don't understand how anyone could drink alcohol on a daily basis, but I defend their right to do so. Criminalization of these types of things only creates criminals where there once was none. I really don't feel I deserve to be classed with criminals, but I am considered a criminal. I can't legally buy a gun to defend myself now. I'll just have to get a crossbow. I think I'm still allowed to get one of those. Steve?

I think the majority of crossbow regulations exist for hunting of game.

Making the posession of something illegal is a way to bolster the profit margin of a smaller number of producers and/or protect competing markets.

Prohibition has never worked to truly keep a product out of the hands of the public.

paid forum?

Do you even know how the internet works?

No way in hell anyone would pay to be a part of a forum, there are tons of other forums almost identical to this one but with less members, everyone would simply migrate there.

The best I can figure out aout the internet is that it works through advertising. And yes, I do belong to a paid forum called Nikonians for Nikon camera users. The atmosphere there is one of collaboration and helpfulness (the way Drummerworld can be at times). However my point still stands that the forum rules here are grossly ignored.

"The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion"

Making the posession of something illegal is a way to bolster the profit margin of a smaller number of producers and/or protect competing markets.

Prohibition has never worked to truly keep a product out of the hands of the public.

The 18th amendment didn't work because the general public wanted to keep drinking.It was passed because of pressure from religious womens groups.Many lives were lost and ruined in the fight to enforce prohibition.And the bad guys still made truck loads of money...including the Kennedys(yes those Kennedys).

Actually that's somewhat true.Growers will have to hire additional employees also in order to meet the increased demand for product.This will actually create jobs in a totally new job market,in the US at least,so they will reap some reward from that.........and I have no problem at all with it.Local farmers working hard for their money,getting thier hands dirty is all right with me..

This will also increase revenew on the city,state and federal level.NY state current charges approx.13 dollars per gallon of taxed alcohol,and a slightly lower tax on wine and beer.

In NY City last year alone NY realized 23 million in taxed alcohol products.

Currently,the illegal production and use of "moon shine"dosen't make a dent in the legal production of alcohol.Under US law,you are allowed to make your own beer,wine or licquor.

Growing and selling pot legally should be taxed at the same rate,which will reap billions of dollars in revenue.The cost of law enforcement,prosecution and care of inmates arrested for use/possession and sale,will plummit,adding additional billions to federal,state and city war chests.

All this additional money can now be used to repair our crumbling infrastructure,reduce over crowded prision populations,reinstitute social programs and be put to good use in our education systems.Maybe even bringing back public school music programs.That in and of itself,is good enough for me.

Steve B

Last edited:
How about a unhealthy snack delivery business.Potato chips,soda,ice cream,snickers bars,White Castle hamburgers(sliders).You could make a fortune.:):):)

Steve B

Believe it or not........

There is something called "Medbox" that dispenses different "strains" from a vending machine. Put that in the break area with the chips and Oreo's and you will make a mint.

"The original purpose of the Off Topic forum was to discuss subjects that were musical in nature but not necessarily drum-related. We have allowed a bit of leeway with this definition, but we have discovered through trial and error what fits here and what doesn't. Please do not discuss extremely trivial matters. Do not post jokes or poetry. Do not discuss politics or religion"
fair enough.

The way I've always viewed Off Topic forums and including this one is to be wary of what you get yourself involved in, if it's something you don't want to discuss, don't click on it. You shouldn't complain about people discussing things you don't want to discuss, you aren't obligated to give your opinion on (whatever the topic is).

The government's two most important roles in my opinion are to

#1 - protect our environment
#2 - protect our health

Without health nothing else matters. You can be poor and still eat healthy. Sad thing is that McDonald's intentionally throws up billboards in poorer communties. Get a $1.00 big mac. Meanwhile, that $1.00 could be a head of lettuce or a few apples, etc.

I don't give a darn what someone does in their own home in private but now you're dealing with stoned drivers on pot, etc., etc. Mix that with an overzealous gun owner and who knows? Legalizing drugs sends a bad message. Healthy body = healthy society. Jsut my rant.

The only role the U.S goverment is suppose to have is protect our freedom, the government is not suppose to be your mommy and daddy. Those laws, like not being able to buy a 32 oz. soda in New York is absolute nonsense. Why can a woman have an abortion saying it's her body and no one has a right to tell her what she can do with it, but you can't buy a giant soda? Some people in this country have gone mad.

As far as the guy buying a $1.00 Big Mac instead of lettuce and apples, well, that's his choice.

Even if pot is made legal, it would never be sold in bars like alcohol, people would be complaining about second hand smoke like cigarettes. I use to smoke pot when I was a tennager and have tried it a few times as an adult, from my experience it made me lazy, paronoid and freakin hungry. I've seen people, after smoking a joint, turn into vegetables, sitiing on a couch watching whatever crap was on t.v. I see no use for it, making it legal would only encourage more people to try it, just like alcohol consumption.

I think virtually anyone in favor of banning tobacco smoking in public would be very much in favor of allowing dope smoking in public. Just a hunch.

I agree, keep the laws as they are. All drugs are inherently pernicious and we don't need to allow all just because we allow some.

Don't like something? Ban it. Nanny will protect us.

Do the lessons on history matter at all? Al Capone? Prohibition? Are we human beings with functioning long term memories and the capacity to think abstractly or are we just big, pale chimps who respond to the moment without considering the weight of history?

It's mindlessly stupid to spend millions of dollars achieving nothing - apart from lining the pockets of Mr Bigs and criminalising of otherwise law-abiding people (occasionally ruining their lives and preventing their future productivity).

Regulation rather than prohibition makes sense for soft drugs (and hard drugs like alcohol, which are too loved by ruling classes for legal changes). Prohibition is a destructive and expensive activity, which should be reserved to lethal drugs where the cost of inaction would be greater than the costs of banning.

The war on drugs has been an absolute, utter abject failure and people are still determined to make the main mistakes. Evolution certainly is a slow process.

db051218.jpg

Back