Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

Upright, most definitely Charles Mingus. Never heard any bass player whip up a band (and, of course, the drummer) like Mingus did.

Electric, might be Bona or Pastorius... Pastorius.

Paul McCartney
James Jamerson
Roger Waters
Louis Johnson
Bill Wyman

everybody knows about the first 4, but check out Wyman sometime.

McCartney period end of story that's all finis.

I've listened to PM for 45 years and been amazed. Versatility, melody, beat -- and he sings while doing it. Watching/listening to his playing on Wii Rock Band transcripts amazes even more. The transcripts aren't perfect, but wow.

Incidentally, some may laugh but Ringo's up there on drumming, too. Strawberry Fields is a classic. Listen to Lennon's acoustic startup version on Anthology and appreciate what Ringo's drums added to it.

McCartney period end of story that's all finis.

I've listened to PM for 45 years and been amazed. Versatility, melody, beat -- and he sings while doing it. Watching/listening to his playing on Wii Rock Band transcripts amazes even more. The transcripts aren't perfect, but wow.

Incidentally, some may laugh but Ringo's up there on drumming, too. Strawberry Fields is a classic. Listen to Lennon's acoustic startup version on Anthology and appreciate what Ringo's drums added to it.

ditto on both.

Ringo's tom tuning is perfect too. i prefer my own snare, but don't we all ?

John Entwistle of The Who, no contest.

Second favorite is Berry Oakley (RIP)

Oteil Burbridge, Jack Bruce, JPJ, Noel Redding, Jeff Ament, and Geezer Butler are also beasts

And look who Anthony's playing with here. The ultimate rhythm section? To some, maybe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evhn3l-ci8Q

Certainly the heaviest rhythm section, and I'm not talking volume ... well, I am, but in a geometric sense :)

Never seen Bernard P playing ja ... mmmph before. Straight backbeat but swings like mad. I've seen AJ on a few album covers but I never really noticed him because other things in the music were grabbing me. Maybe that says something about his accompaniment skills?

Does anyone remember Prakash John's melodic bass in Lou Reed's band on Rock n Roll Animal? It was a big fave of mine in the 70s. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FdWPeHFAMk. Fantastic rock n roll band.

Back