Favorite bass player? Only one allowed

Jaco Pastorius

True great - he has phenomenal rhythm and melodic genius. The combination is sublime.

I've been playing bass for 30 years and drums for 5 years. I saw Jaco three times with Weather Report in the late 70's early 80's.

Davo

Les Claypool.

However, honorable mentions go to Alex Webster from Cannibal Corpse and Ryan from Mudvayne.

Electric bass - Victor Wooten
Upright - John Patitucci

As an average bassist (drums are my first instrument), I have come to appreciate those musicians who can play the stuff that I can't...

A few days ago I probably would have said Les Claypool but I feel like I'm going to give my vote to:

(Bass roll?)

Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane. Just started truly paying attention to his bass lines and... god damn.... I'm astounded. Perfect for the music.

No Joe Osborn he was a session musician his playing can be heard on records by groups such as the Mamas & the Papas, The Association, and The 5th Dimension to name a few. Osborn can be heard on Simon & Garfunkel's "Bridge over Troubled Water" and the 5th Dimension's version of "Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In." and many many more

@RogerLudwig: I don't find that too special.
Maybe you should check out Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, might be your thing:)! Flea's playing is hot!

Yup, the Chili Peppers are from my home town, Fairfax High School if I'm not mistaken. Flea is a good bassist and can be quite melodic in his playing, but personally I'm not a big Chili Peppers fan

Knowing that, I still feel the same about Casady. I still believe that he is one of the most melodic bass players IMHO

Steve Harris ....the guy could have an extra 10 fingers,and I bet hed still use every one of them....amazing.

Tom Kennedy, I love how he combines his bass with weckl

Back