Anyone here play violin?

TheSunScientist

I have a feeling I will be one of a small number of people, or even the only one, but it's worth a try.

Does anyone here play the violin as I do? I have been playing a year now, self-taught too, and I play pretty OK.

Funny you should ask...I was just thinking out loud with my 11 year old daughter over ice cream the other night. We were talking about music and she is starting 6th grade and is going to play flute in beginner band. I mentioned casually I'd like to learn to play another instrument besides drums.

I wrote off guitar since there are 10 times the number of guitar players as drummers. And EVERYONE is an expert, LOL.

Same with Keys. There are plenty of folks around who play keys. I then mentioned Violin, since most good violin players are rare and very hard to find. Also, it' a cool instrument that has tons of different playing sytles. Rock, symphonic and classical, c and w, bluegrass. And I believe there is a HUGE difference (please correct me if I am wrong) between violin playing nad "fiddle" playing.

Can you make any recommendations on a decent type of violin to buy as a second instrument, reasonably priced I could get? And some good beginning or instructional videos? Understand, I know nothing about the violin but would love to learn it. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I used to play a lot, 14 or so years of classical before I found drums. Violin has fallen by the wayside, but I still whip it out every once and a while. My dad is a really killer Jazz violinist so that's why I played for so long. Good instrument.

I play more of a fiddle, and have for about six or seven years, i have great fun with it. Alot of times its a toss up about what i like more fiddle or drums, which just makes more practice. Anyways good to hear im not the only one.

Sometimes ill sit on my throne and keep time with the bass drum, when i play the fiddle, kinda of a weird mix.

I play more of a fiddle, and have for about six or seven years, i have great fun with it. Alot of times its a toss up about what i like more fiddle or drums, which just makes more practice. Anyways good to hear im not the only one.

Sometimes ill sit on my throne and keep time with the bass drum, when i play the fiddle, kinda of a weird mix.

Could make for a good accompaniment. singer w/acoustic guitar and you with a kick and violin. Maybe something for your left foot too, something percussive.

Back