cowbell muffling...

tbmills

Gold Member
i just bought a used cowbell from guitar center today for $15
it appears to be an lp salsa es-7. i like its tone but id like to kill some of the overtones and give it more os a stick sound.
what is the best way to muffle a cowbell? ive seen people wrap em in duct tape but i dont really want to change the surface of it. can i put tape inside?

Hmmm... sounds like you didn't really get the particular sound you were looking for. There's a world of different cowbell models, out there is the one you want without any muffling....

MOONGEL.
Do it.

Seriously, I think that Moongel would probably be your best bet, seeing how it removes not all overtones and it's just so god damn magical. If not, socks could definitely work. Potentially just duct taping the bottom/ not-hitting-with-stick surface..?

try MoonGel.

good thing my cowbell sound perfect without any muffling at all. LP Black Beauty cowbell. The greatest all-around cowbell ever IMO. it sounds like the cowbells on the songs 'Lowrider' by War and 'Don't Fear the Reaper' by Blue Öyster Cult.

Great option is too but some gafer tape round the rim of it. Works a charm imo , and also protects it!

Another vote for moongel. Experiment with the placement, too. I use one on my LP mambo cowbell, and I noticed it sounds just a little different depending where you place the moongel inside the cowbell (closer to the mouth, farther away from the mouth etc.) You can use more than one moongel too if needed.

A piece of chamois stuffed inside is ideal. Old drummers' trick.

Guys guys guys! Its even easier than all of the suggestions above,

Simply wrap a stretchy wristband (the type the tennis players use) around the back of the cowbell. No mess no fuss and keeps the inside chamber of the cowbell clear.

Back