Help - Low Cymbal Stand

skinner

Hello All,
Does anyone know of a cymbal stand that will go very low. I play open-handed (left hand lead on the hats) and I've found the perfect place for my ride. On the left side and just below my hats. It would be in the approximate height and position of a left hand side floor tom. But I need a stand that will go as low as about 2 feet off the ground.

I have rigged it up using the top half of a cymbal stand and a snare stand base, but this is not very sturdy. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Isn't a run of the mill cymbal stand that is fully collapsed, short enough? If you don't extend any of the 'telescopic' sections it should still sit beneath your hats.

Failing that, can you remove the top section from it's base, and clamp it to the stand? You may have a little more control over the height that way.

Agree with pocket full of gold. I have a cymbal stand that would be less than 24" if it was completely retracted.

Mine won't go low enough. The lowest I am able to get the cymbal is about 3 feet. Just the base itself is about 2 feet 4 inches. I guess I'll keep looking.

Yamaha single braced 700 series straight stand. 25".

Get a boom stand, put it as low as it will go, then rotate the boom to where you want the ride to be. The footprint of the thing will be huge as the ride would be next to rather than on top of the stand but I can't think of any other way.

Mine won't go low enough. The lowest I am able to get the cymbal is about 3 feet. Just the base itself is about 2 feet 4 inches. I guess I'll keep looking.
Can you spread the legs further to make it lower?

I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster who said to set a boom stand as low as possible, and then invert the boom so that the ride is hanging from the tilter instead of sitting on it. You could probably get it quite low.

I'm going to have to agree with the previous poster who said to set a boom stand as low as possible, and then invert the boom so that the ride is hanging from the tilter instead of sitting on it. You could probably get it quite low.

Depending on how long the boom arm is, you should be able to fit the cymbal in that space fine. You could probably almost have it touch the floor...

I used a reciprocating saw. I took the lowest collar thing off, (allen screw I believe) cut the main outer tube, filed the cut edge, replaced the collar, and then cut the inner tube(s) down to the proper length.

thats what she said.

:)

woah!!!

Anyways, I thought this would be a good place to ask, I don't want to buy any new hardware. I have a Paiste 2002 24" Ride on a Ludwig Accent Boom/Straight stand. I've tried 'hanging' it but it doesn't really work with a 24". I only need another 2 inches lower, it's all the way collapsed right now. I don't want to modify the stand either. I've considered just tilting the cymbal more vertical so I can hit it easier and still from a relaxed position, but I really like the visual aspect of having it flat. Any thoughts?

On that Ludwig stand you have it's pretty easy to make it shorter.

First, fold the legs up and see how much you can take off before the legs tough the cast piece at the top of the section. Should be at least 2" but measure to be sure.

Take out the screw that's in the leg cast part at the bottom of the base tube.

Then knock off the legs buy using a rubber mallet and something like a block of wood (placed at the leg joints). Knock it a bit at each of the3 sections till it comes off.

*Don't bash the sh*t out of it, or it may screw things up*, you can use some force but don't kill it.

Then, you can take the tube section out completely, cut off the amount you need. I highly recommend a tube cutter for this. No messing around and you get a perfect cut.
They are pretty inexpensive at a good hardware store.

Once it's cut, put the tube back in place with the leg assembly.

The hardest part of the whole project is lining up with the new hole you need to drill to keep it all in place tightly with the screw.

I've done this on several of my stands, and for a few other people.

Other people have knocked the top tightening adjustment cast off (then cut and replace), but it was less messing around to get the legs off and cut from the bottom than to try and get the height adjustment cast off for me.

Back