Gavin Harrison here!

Hi again Gavin! You may rembember that I earlier mentioned my broken left wrist? Well the cast has been taken of! I'm so stoked to be back on the drumchair. It's like drumming is much more fun than before! I spend a lot more time practising than before. Just great.. Well back the questioning:

1. I'm wondering if you have ever injured yourself so that you couldn't play for a period of time? Anyway, if you did how did you deal with getting back on drums? Maybe it was no problem at all?

2. My drumteacher in school gave me homework yesterday. We sat down and he showed me how to play "50 ways to leave your lover" by Steve Gadd. I have only played for about 1 year more or less, and I think it fits my skill. Well, my question is what you think about the song from a drum point of view. Is it (the verse groove) a good groove practising for coordination and such? I personally think that it was a bit tricky at first playing with my left hand (the previously broken) on the hi-hat. And i normaly don't work the hi-hat pedal in that way.. Well to sum it up I basicly just wanted to tell you that I think it's a very fun groove and wanted to hear your thoughts on that Gadd classic. :)

Good luck with the new PT album! Can´t barely wait! And keep on inspiring guys like me! Bye!

Hello Mr. Harrison,

I was introduced to Porcupine Tree, and your drumming, back in 2002 with the release of "In Absentia." I've been a huge fan of the band's music ever since, have seen you live three times (New York and Los Angeles) and am always impressed with your playing.

You've also had a tremendous influence on my nephew Aaron, who continues to play drums everyday, using PT's music as a guide, along with a variety of other bands and musicians.

I wanted to thank you for your contributions to the landscape of drumming. You've had a great impact on people you don't even know. Please consider yourself very blessed!

I also owe you an apology. In 2005, I had the pleasure of attending a show at Irving Plaza in New York City, (the "Deadwing" tour). I attended the show with a friend of mine at the time, PT's then mastering engineer Andy VanDette.

We were able to go backstage before the show to meet the band - an experience I've never forgotten. On the way in, I tripped over a pair of shoes, and turned back to see someone picking them up from the floor, looking a bit displeased. To make matters worse, I didn't have the courtesy to apologize, and went into another room to meet the band. I had the pleasure of meeting Steven Wilson, Richard Barbieri, and had a really nice conversation with Colin Edwin. I was looking around for you however, as you were the one I was most anxious to meet (and frankly, really didn't know what you looked like at the time).

It occurred to me, as the band went up on the stage, that it was your shoes that I tripped over, and it was you I was looking at picking them up.

As I've no way to personally apologize for my rudeness, I felt it would be best posted here. With that sir, I humbly apologize for that unfortunate event back in 2005. You guys played an awesome set that night, and I left the show on a real natural high. It, strangely, has always been hampered with the remembrance of tripping over your shoes, and my impoliteness thereafter. I humbly apologize to you for that.

You remain a true inspiration to me as a musician, playing in one of the greatest bands I've had the pleasure of listening to. I hope you continue on a successful career with PT, and I look forward to hearing more music from PT in the future.

To the other members of this forum, please excuse my rambling. Thanks for reading.

Kindest Regards,

Dave

Hi drumbumhamza

I'l be conducting a Polyrhythm workshop in a week and would like any drummer's comments on my notes (especially Mr. Harrison's).
If you find any mistakes please let me know.

I had a quick look through - but I haven't got the time to read it all carefully - also I find it very hard to read tabs. Nothing jumped out at me as wrong - but as I said I didn't spend a long time studying it.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

1. I'm wondering if you have ever injured yourself so that you couldn't play for a period of time? Anyway, if you did how did you deal with getting back on drums? Maybe it was no problem at all?

No (touch wood) I haven't injured myself so much that I couldn't play.

2. My drumteacher in school gave me homework yesterday. We sat down and he showed me how to play "50 ways to leave your lover" by Steve Gadd.

It's a great fun pattern to play - but bear in mind that it's really hard to play it accurately and really in time. The way to check that would be to play it and record it. When you listen back to it - just play along to your recording with hand to hand 16ths on the hi hat - and see if it feels ok to you. Of course it's also really worth practising it to a metronome.

Cheers
Gavin

Thanks a ton for your time...I'l be playing and explaining some of your parts (hope you dont mind).

I was wondering if you've had a chance to play the new Pearl Demondrive Pedals and if you've seen or heard about the new Danny Carey Signature 14x8 Bronze snare

Hello Mr Harrison it's a great pleasure to have the chance to chat directly with you. i(unfortunately) only discover PT just 2 months ago and i have to say that you rock my world!!!!!!. I've been playing drums on and off for about 17 years and for the last 14 years(i'm 35 now) i've been listening progressive kind of music but lately(5 years i think) i felt that something was missing. i started hearing Toto in my teens and then i heard a lot of music: trash, death, speed, power, etc and one day in a forum i heard about you and PT. of course Modern Drummer's award (i'm a portnoy fan but...) made my head turn toward you but was in december when i listened in Absentia and you turn on the light inside of me, you make practice again, and i have some questios for you.
How do you aproach your hi hat?(there's so much in your hi hat work than meets the ears!!!!)
What hi hat cymbals do you use?
any advice for timming? (i feel you precise but no mechanical at all!!!!!!!)
how do you develop your groove? it's insane my friend!!!(sorry to everybody but you bring Jeff Porcaro to my mind and i really love Mr Porcaro's playing)
i'm in awe with your chops to play ballads, rock, progressive, jazz. How do you acomplish that???
How do tou tune your drums (they sound completely amazing to me!!!)
After hear a lot of PT albums(specially those in which you play drums) my drum mates hear about you(of course i did that jeje) and they are charmed with your playing too.
Thanks for your playing and for be an inspirational player and person in other people's life!!!
I live in Colombia any chance of a live gig with PT?
thanks four your kindness(and sorry for my english), and thanks for make me love drums again and for show me a different aproach to them!!!! thanks for your music
atte
Richard

Hi Gavin, Sorry to bother, but I have a question again. :)

I really love "no twilight between the courts of the sun" from Wilson's Inurgentes. It's probably my favourite on the entire album. One big reason I love it so much is the wicked groove in the intro and in all the other more mellow parts. I know I don't have chops enough to actually play it, but maybe if you could point out a few specific things about it maybe I could at least play along a little bit. So.. I'm not very good att counting odd times.. What time-signature is it in? Or do you have any other way of making it more clear how to play it?

Anyways, I reeeally love the drums in that song! Keep on inspiring, Gavin!
Thanks in advance!

Hi drumbumhamza

I was wondering if you've had a chance to play the new Pearl Demondrive Pedals and if you've seen or heard about the new Danny Carey Signature 14x8 Bronze snare

I haven't played or seen the Pearl pedals up close. I'm sure they feel good as the direct link (instead of a chain or strap) is the same kind of thing that Axis have been doing for years. I saw a photo of the Sonor Danny Carey snare drum - I haven't played one.

Hi rickpero

How do you aproach your hi hat?(there's so much in your hi hat work than meets the ears!!!!) What hi hat cymbals do you use?

I don't really know - it's obviously a very expressive part of the drumset and certainly one that can really define your sound and style. I spent a lot of time listening to Steve Gadd and Jeff Porcaro - and would try to emulate some of the things I heard them do with it.

any advice for timming? (i feel you precise but no mechanical at all!!!!!!!)
how do you develop your groove?

Yes - just spend your whole life working on it until it starts to sound good to you.

i'm in awe with your chops to play ballads, rock, progressive, jazz. How do you acomplish that???How do tou tune your drums (they sound completely amazing to me!!!)

I know you have a lot of questions and I don't want to bore other readers with the same old answers - so I suggest you have a search through this thread. When you are logged in - a new "search this thread" tool appears at the top of this page.

I live in Colombia any chance of a live gig with PT?

We have no plans to come to Columbia at the moment.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

I really love "no twilight between the courts of the sun" from Wilson's Inurgentes. It's probably my favourite on the entire album. What time-signature is it in? Or do you have any other way of making it more clear how to play it?

It's 21/8 but I was thinking of it as two bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 5/8

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin -

I just picked up Steven Wilson's 'Insurgentes,' excellent work. I particularly like Harmony Korine and No Twilight Within the Courts of the Sun.

I just had a question about the drum tracks. On certain tracks it's obvious that you are playing, but on others it sounds almost like Steven is using samples of your drumkit for drum loops. Do you know if he did this at all or was it all your playing?

Hi Gavin,

I really enjoy how you put one, two or several-beat tom accents and patterns into your grooves.

Often they seem random, but they sound really nice.

I'd like to employ this approach more (when musically suitable), rather than just lay out straight hi-hat/snare and ride cymbal/snare grooves.

Clearly this comes from your fusion background and your interest in Steve Gadd etc.

How do you approach using your toms in grooves?

Cheers

Hi NeuroAxis

I just picked up Steven Wilson's 'Insurgentes,' excellent work. On certain tracks it's obvious that you are playing, but on others it sounds almost like Steven is using samples of your drumkit for drum loops. Do you know if he did this at all or was it all your playing?

Yes Steve does have samples of my drums which I think are on tracks like "Forgiveness" other tracks let "Get All You Deserve" that's me playing. There's quite a lot of straight drumming on the album.

Hi supermac

I really enjoy how you put one, two or several-beat tom accents and patterns into your grooves. Often they seem random, but they sound really nice. How do you approach using your toms in grooves?

Yes I like doing that (as you do) to spice up a drum part or just throw in some random accents. I think you might like my new project with 05Ric - there's some good examples of that.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison said:
Yes I like doing that (as you do) to spice up a drum part or just throw in some random accents. I think you might like my new project with 05Ric - there's some good examples of that.

New demo is awesome! In MD interview you've said the drumming on Drop was the hardest thing you ever did. Are you raising the bar once more? ;))

Are you playing some additional instrument? I mean when you have ideas for new rhythms, do you just record the drum part, or play & write down music as well? I'm considering learning bass guitar, to be able to really get the grooves down. I think being a drummer and a bass guitarist is a golden combo. I just hope I'm not too much of an anti guitar talent... :p

Gavin Harrison said:
Yes Steve does have samples of my drums which I think are on tracks like "Forgiveness" other tracks let "Get All You Deserve" that's me playing. There's quite a lot of straight drumming on the album.

Sorry for my poor English (it's been awhile since my last class ;), you're not drumming to "Get All You Deserve"?

Hi Gavin,how're you?
i have a pair of questions for you.
1 - if i remember well, you usually put coated diplomat heads as tom's (and floor toms) bottom head.
can you explain me your choice?
2 - you bassdrum sound, especially on pasic video, is very hard, lot of attack and a little sustain.Is it an mixing effect?or is it caused by the drum head and something inside the drum?
what drumhead do you put on your bassdrum?

thanks a lot.
cheers from Italy
Riccardo

Hi miha

New demo is awesome! In MD interview you've said the drumming on Drop was the hardest thing you ever did. Are you raising the bar once more? ;))

I hope so!!!

Are you playing some additional instrument? I mean when you have ideas for new rhythms, do you just record the drum part, or play & write down music as well?

Yes I play bass and guitar - but not very well.

you're not drumming to "Get All You Deserve"?

sorry for the confusion - yes I play on that track.

Hi ItalianRicky

1 - if i remember well, you usually put coated diplomat heads as tom's (and floor toms) bottom head. can you explain me your choice?

For the past few years I actually prefer Remo Clear Ambassadors on the bottoms of the toms. I've tried all sorts of heads on the bottom - including snare reso heads - but finally I settled on the Ambassadors.

2 - you bassdrum sound, especially on pasic video, is very hard, lot of attack and a little sustain.Is it an mixing effect?or is it caused by the drum head and something inside the drum? what drumhead do you put on your bassdrum?

I have a large pillow in there - but please remember that you're hearing that PASIC bass drum is from a tiny camera mic about 10 metres away. I use the Remo Clear Powerstroke 3 on the batter side.

cheers
Gavin

Hi miha

I hope so!!!

My favourite track so far is 'Sometime.' I've never heard a piece of music so beautifully written. Such a melodic and sad sounding track, -lovely tom work. Does 05ric do those eerie sounds on his bass? And is it pronounced Osric?

-Trys

My favourite track so far is 'Sometime.' I've never heard a piece of music so beautifully written. Such a melodic and sad sounding track, -lovely tom work. Does 05ric do those eerie sounds on his bass? And is it pronounced Osric?

-Trys

Same here, mate! "Sometime" is my favourite track too, one of the best there is, even. This one is pure emotion. You hardly notice the technical stuff, it's so overwhelming and everything fits so damn well. Just beautiful...

Hi Gavin, just saying hi from Quebec in Canada!!, cant wait to see Porcupine Tree back in Quebec City , it was so nice(September 2007), i hope you'll play again in Quebec for the next north american tour once the next album goes out!

I have 2 questions:

First: On Vic firth website ive watched your whole interview videos and i must say they are very inspiring, on the video where you play Slippin' Away , on the first few seconds of the video what is the pattern your using between your hi hat and snare drum. I might be mistaken but is this a paradiddle didle? or some kind of six stroke roll? and what is the sticking (this remind me the paradiddle groove of Steve Gadd!)

Second: I know you mentioned (somewhere in this forum) that recording yourself while practicing was the best method to show how precise both your arms and legs were, since i cant find any of this type of recorder do you any software that could useful or any machine that could help me out ?

By the way, sorry for any messy grammar , im a french canadian! , and your truly an inspiration for me !

Cheers and Thanks!!!

Hi trysthedrummer,

Does 05ric do those eerie sounds on his bass? And is it pronounced Osric?

Yes he does - and it's pronounced oh-five-Ric.

Hi ProgJazzy(QC)

First: On Vic firth website ive watched your whole interview videos and i must say they are very inspiring, on the video where you play Slippin' Away , on the first few seconds of the video what is the pattern your using between your hi hat and snare drum. I might be mistaken but is this a paradiddle didle? or some kind of six stroke roll? and what is the sticking (this remind me the paradiddle groove of Steve Gadd!)

Yes it's very Gadd inspired - it's triplet 16ths in a pattern of 5/8 (here is the whole pattern repeated twice to make a bar of 5/4)

Slippin Away intro.jpg

the hard part is repeating that pattern over 8 bars of 4/4 and coming out the other side of it.

Second: I know you mentioned (somewhere in this forum) that recording yourself while practicing was the best method to show how precise both your arms and legs were, since i cant find any of this type of recorder do you any software that could useful or any machine that could help me out ?

I use Logic Pro on a Mac computer - but there are lots of computer recording software that (once you've recorded yourself) you can zoom into the wave shapes and see what's going on.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

I don't know if this question has been asked before, but how often/long do you practice, and what does it consist of?

Do you have any songs one where you play things like the bongos or djembes, etc.? I am interested in hearing them.

Thanks!

some pages ago, you gave me a older photo about you with claudio baglioni.
I saw that you're using 4 crashes.
if i'm right you has 18 K crash and a 15" K crash on your right side, and a 17" crash in front\left position.the crash in the most left position was a 16"???
the drums in that photo is an yamaha recording custom?if you have some photos of claudio's era, can you post (or send) me some?I saw on some photos that your cymbal setup have changed many times in that years.Overall the splash position...and i wanna study your setups, and find some good solutions for my set,especially for cymbals. ;)
like always...thanks master!!
good weekend!! ^_^

Last edited:
Back