Vinnie Colaiuta

Re: Vinnie Colauita

For those of you questioning Vinnie's versatility, in my opinion, the Gadd-Weckl-Vinnie battle highlights each drummer's trademark sound/approach, and not necessarily showing everything they're capable of. Keep in mind, they all have to sound good together. So in that sense, I think it was perfect. Vinnie has shown us in many other projects how diverse his playing can be.

I can sort of understanding bashing on some of the more famous drummers who lack the some of the basics that make for jaw dropping drumming...Ie Meg White and Nicco from the Velvet Undergroud. But seriously... People have the gall to talk smack about Vinnie. The guy is a monster and his resume shows it. He was one of the lucky guys to have gotten the opportunity to play with Frank Zappa and Sting and although they are not my favorite artists, they happen to be some of the most demanding guys when it come to having a talented drummer backing the band. I know you are free to voice your opinion but it's very plain to see that Vinnie is an incredible drummer. He can adapt to any style of music seemlessly. He plays with an engery, power, and finesse that most professionals don't even come close to. It's OK to dislike someones drumming, but to put an argument against his drumming watching a 20 year old drum battle with your opinions is arrogant. You're reaching for straws at this point.

Superlow said:
I can sort of understanding bashing on some of the more famous drummers who lack the some of the basics that make for jaw dropping drumming...Ie Meg White and Nicco from the Velvet Undergroud. But seriously... People have the gall to talk smack about Vinnie. The guy is a monster and his resume shows it. He was one of the lucky guys to have gotten the opportunity to play with Frank Zappa and Sting and although they are not my favorite artists, they happen to be some of the most demanding guys when it come to having a talented drummer backing the band. I know you are free to voice your opinion but it's very plain to see that Vinnie is an incredible drummer. He can adapt to any style of music seemlessly. He plays with an engery, power, and finesse that most professionals don't even come close to. It's OK to dislike someones drumming, but to put an argument against his drumming watching a 20 year old drum battle with your opinions is arrogant. You're reaching for straws at this point.

I'm not arguing his resume, his ability to back a band or his ability to play with energy and power. I admit that I havent watched or listend to as much of Vinnie playing as most of you, but i've listened enough to get some kind of understanding of what his solo's are like, which I was critisizing.

"That whole show was layed out that way: Gadd as the groovemaster, the rest playing over it with Weckl beeing the one for the flow and dynamics and Vinnie beeing the one for the crazyness and pure energy. And all of them do their job just right!"

I wouldnt disagree with that.

Vinnie is like a pure energy man, yes, but that wich impress me with that guy, is that he is a master at MANY music genres. He can almost play everething, because he has that sort of jazz feel, and a lot of energy and power to rock/heavy etc.

Here's what the bassist in this band that I'm playing said after watching part three of the video:

That was the most boring, gay and retarded thing I've ever seen.

Though I do dig the use of the buddy rich grip.

What a weirdo.

Where to begin with Vinnie? Seriously, this guy's resume reads like a novelette!
The first time I heard Vinnie was when I saw tape 2 from the Buddy Rich Memorial Scholarship concert. The drum battle was indeed excellent. That video was one of the most important things in my development. The really compelling thing was the sound of Vinnie's drums; they were really tight. The toms almost had a wet, slap sound to them.
2 words: Joe's Garage. That's all that needs to be said, and drummers all over understand. But in the spirit of message boards, I'll kiss Vinnie's butt, but try to keep it brief.
Joe's garage, to me, was the epitome of a drummer's album. An equal amount of crazy soloing and sexy grooving cemented Vinnie's place in my list of favorites. I really loved the odd-time breakdown in "Catholic Girls", the drum/xylophone duet in "Fembot in a wet tshirt", the groove in "Token of my extreme", and of course the whole "Keep it Greasey".

Oh, the footage from the baked potato, on this website, is insane! but the cymbals are really piercing. Still, it rocked.

the skin man said:
Here's what the bassist in this band that I'm playing said after watching part three of the video:

That was the most boring, gay and retarded thing I've ever seen.

Though I do dig the use of the buddy rich grip.

What a weirdo.

LMAO -this is something i've come across with non drummers experiencing Vinnie; inevitably they don't dig it, whereas a performance by Buddy Rich, Keith Moon or (this smarts) Joey Jordison gets the eyes lighting up. This is an interesting thing - is it that the listener needs to have attained a level of rhythmic ability and drum technique to understaand and appreciate it, or is it simply that Vinnie's soloing is too esoteric and unmusical? ( sorely doubt the latter). Maybe it's that more often than not, those that love and appreciate vinnie's solos the most are those with more technical and musical understanding and experience; i remember thinking Chad Smith's playing was the donnest - years down the line i can't imagine anyone being able to put together a more dynamic slick and satisfying solo than Vinnie.
The Word just doesn't seem to be spreading like it should.

Hey chaps, just a question about the Vinnie Baked Potato video, what ride is he using there? The site says he uses a 22" A Custom, looks like that might be it, but i'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to Zildjian.

Cheers

Buddha said:
I'm not arguing his resume, his ability to back a band or his ability to play with energy and power. I admit that I havent watched or listend to as much of Vinnie playing as most of you, but i've listened enough to get some kind of understanding of what his solo's are like, which I was critisizing.

Regardless of your criticism of Vinnie's playing, you made yourself look like an ass by criticizing the people cheering for Vinnie in the video clip, assuming they must have no musical knowledge because they only cheered for Vinnie. Ignoring the obvious impossibility that you might know EVERYBODY who was cheering in that audience (and even, know them well enough to know how deep their understanding of music is), you still go so far as to impose your own assumptions as to why they were cheering. Taste is taste, and we all like and dislike things for our own reasons. Some people probably dug the speed, others may have liked his phrasing, who knows? You can't dismiss those cheering fans as ignorant because they didn't cheer OUT LOUD when YOU thought they should have. Also, you have no clue what was going on in their heads, so how could you possibly know whether or not they were appreciating Gadd's and Weckl's performances?

shall i bother checking out his recent recordings like Backstreet Boys and Pussycat Dolls? i really hate artificial pop bands, but do you think it's worth getting just for Vinnie Colaiuta? or does he never do the good stuff on pop albums?

I'm planning on gettin Joe's Garage soon. are there any good albums you could recommend with Vinnie on it? (I might be seeing Jeff Beck soon just to see Vinnie)

raymond90 said:
Vinnie is like a pure energy man, yes, but that wich impress me with that guy, is that he is a master at MANY music genres. He can almost play everething, because he has that sort of jazz feel, and a lot of energy and power to rock/heavy etc.

EXACTLLYY!! That's it right there. He's pure energy, and technique, and musicality, all in one! What a combination! He's got it all. Its insane!!!

Vinnie is a monster on drums, he can do just about anything, and play in any time signature, in any style. Plus his playing is tight, powerful, groovy and has just about everything you'd want in a drummer.
P.S Has anybody heard Vinnies peformace on Megadeths The System Has Failed? It's just plain out awesome, one of my favorite megadeth albums as far as drums go.

HardRockDrummer said:
shall i bother checking out his recent recordings like Backstreet Boys and Pussycat Dolls? i really hate artificial pop bands, but do you think it's worth getting just for Vinnie Colaiuta? or does he never do the good stuff on pop albums?

I'm planning on gettin Joe's Garage soon. are there any good albums you could recommend with Vinnie on it? (I might be seeing Jeff Beck soon just to see Vinnie)

Thats not of importance. Vinnie is payed to play what the producer wants him to play. Yes hes fantastically talented but hes paid to play whatever suits those songs. The producer wants to sell as many records as he can. He cannot do that with say one of Vinnie's 7:8 time signatures which u can't dance to. things are simple with Pop and Dance acts because people need to be able to dance to them. Thats why most things are based in 4:4 because you can dance to the simple 1-2-3-4 rhythm.

Check out Vinnie's Solo albums for pure drumming talent as well as all his drum solo videos on drummerworld.com

He is still by far the best, most diverse and most rhythmically complex drummer on the planet!

DiP said:
i'm not impressed with his dumming.. i can't say he is the best! he is talented but i don't like him
What have you heard him play on and who do you really is better than him?

Hi there, I'm new to this long and frequently changing thread about Vinnie Colaiuta.

But to pick up the last point about not liking Vinnie, well that's fair enough. I remember once talking to a younger drummer about a tune Vinnie played on Eric Marienthal's CD: Crossroads. I think the track is called U"pside Down". I told the guy to listen to the solo and the phrasing etc, but also how it sits with the hi-hat rhythm being played throughout. Suffice to say he wasn't that interested. So I thought, we I liked it, he didn't.

So for me, Vinnie Colaiuta has always been a major inspiration. I'm certainly not frightened of what he does. You either love it or have to look away. Me - I want some of that ! I have Marc Atkinsons book "Unreel" and can do a lot of the stuff (am still working on the rest ! - long way to go yet). Te charts by the way are especially good.

Vinnie plays with fire on that track and also with great sensitivity on Joni Mitchell's "Two Grey Rooms" from Night Ride Home.

I suppose all the people he's played with can't be wrong. I've never met him and have heard through this thread that he might not be a fun guy. But maybe he is a nice guy, you never know. He seems to take his work very seriously and I have heard that he can be kind of "goofy", so maybe he is just one of those talented guys that doesn't realise how great he really is.

I also heard terrible things about Buddy Rich (one of my all time drumming faves) until I read something on his website by one of his writers who told a different side.

Anyway, I think Vinnie is as Neil Stubenhaus said on the Modern Drummer DVD, "the innovative drummer of our time". You either like his stuff or you don't. But I love him. I wish I could come up with som of the stuff he does. Phew.....

I love vinnies style of play. It is relaxed, yet on the nose, and very rhythmically accurate. I also love the fact that he is a christian. My favorite vinnie song is I'm Tweaked. IT is such a great song yet it kills me everytime i listen to it because I can never figur out how he does it. Eventually it will come...

Everytime I see that Rich Video , a LOL at Weckl's mullet .

If I can remember correctly , I think it was after that show that Weckl was considering chaging his technical approach , because of what he saw of Vinnie . If you take a close look and listen , Weckl seems to be taking ideas off Vinnie . Vinnie was the most impressive out of all three , because his idea's seemed to come out of nowhere . It seems like all Vinnie does is throw his hands anywhere around the kit , and magic just happens . It's pure creative bombast . Outside of Gadd's cowbell intro to cue in all 3 players , Vinnie got the biggest cheers from the audience , especially during his one-handed fills ( combined with the bass drum ) , which was musically impressive , as well as techincally impressive .

Back