Bill Ward

Absolutely loved it! Bill pounds the *-#*^ out of his drums. His triplets are money. Wonder if BW got any ideas from Bonham who recorded Dazed and Confused a year earlier?

Bill Ward´s influences:

Childhood: Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, Louie Bellson.

Childhood to early years: Larrie London, Bernard Purdie, Joe Morello, Keif Hartley, Hughie Flint, John Bonham, Ringo Starr, Jim Capaldi, Clive Bunker.

From teens, onward: Many, many drummers, some rock, but mainly older jazz players, swing players.

All The Best,

Ian

iwilliams: thanks for make me aware - so i uploaded the movie.

But the best part to come: I took contact with my DVD-Company and they send me the DVD Black Sabbath - part one till 1970. so i can put up then some more and best quality.

Bernhard

Whoa! my dream come true...Thanks.

Ahh, The birth of Metal! I remember it like it was yesterday. I think that I played that song at least five or six times a week way back when. I could only play it when my parents weren't home. I had to hide my Sabbath albums in the shed behind my house along with my Playboy Mags!

The first metal drummer ever, therefore the most influential. I think he deserves to have a thread made about him xP

Anyway, I really like his playing. He sounds almost Bonhamesque on the early Sabbath recordings. Anyone else like him?

Mr. Ward, is my great influence and inspiration.
Both, on drumming and as an humble person and gentleman, check his interviews and writing. I hope, to have the chance to meet the man. He leads his life by good example.

Check it out:

http://www.billward.com/ (Bill Ward on the Kerrang! Video Podcast)

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bill_Ward.html

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/billwardblacksabbath1970.html
(Black Sabbath - War Pigs - Live - Paris - 1970)

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36815&highlight=bill+ward

All The Best,

Attachments

• BILLPRC2.jpg
    BILLPRC2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 13,096
Last edited:
Huge Ward fan! Sometimes I think his amazing good nature and personality eclipse his stature as a drummer. That shouldn't discredit his gift to music.

Always wondered why Bill played a 22" kick. When I'm watching the old Paris 1970 performance I wonder what it would have been like if he was playing at least a 24" or 26". It bums me out that Sabbath was never as documented as Zeppelin, especially in their best years 70-75.

Also wondered how much better his drums (and entire band) would have sounded had Sabbath enjoyed the great engineering that Zeppelin did (although Page would probably discount the role of the engineer to his role of producer).

And then I catch myself and say 'oh right, he's in Black Sabbath and I'm not'. But Bill is the man. His ego couldn't fit into a matchbox he's so down to Earth (no pun intended) and on the level. He is one 'rock god' I wouldn't even hesitate to walk up to and shake hands with.

I am listening to the first Black Sabbath album now, the drumming is astonishing. I am guessing most of this was also first take, no overdubs. Kind of how things were back then.

I agree on "The Wizard" comment, genius piece of work.

Anyone know of sites with information to his equipment ? I have searched around and have not found much.

Fellows,

I want to share this with you, enjoy it.

All-About-Jazz, did an interview to Bill Ward (Black Sabbath, Bill Ward Band). Refers to his influences, set of drums, start to play, recommendations to drummers, mistakes...and so on.
This humble gentleman, drummer, is an honest and sincere man which I respect and admire. He is my root influence and inspiration, besides other drummers.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=19191

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=20215

Cheers,

Bill Ward is an incredible drummer who never seems to get much attention from the drum community. He is my personal favorite drummer. His style is unmatched and incredibly unique in such a heavy band as Black Sabbath. Please people let me know that other people out there respect this guy and his playing as much as I do!

In fact, I do respect him and love his playing style. Bill (Ward) is the mastermind and heart of heavymetal drumming.

Some Colleagues, will say that the foundation of rock drumming began with DJ (Fontana) and set by John (Bonham) - Ian (Paice) - Carmine Appice...and so on, I agree with that comment. For me, William Thomas Ward set it - built it and developed it for heavy rock drumming.

Your thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Last edited:
Huge Ward fan! Sometimes I think his amazing good nature and personality eclipse his stature as a drummer. That shouldn't discredit his gift to music.

Always wondered why Bill played a 22" kick. When I'm watching the old Paris 1970 performance I wonder what it would have been like if he was playing at least a 24" or 26". It bums me out that Sabbath was never as documented as Zeppelin, especially in their best years 70-75.

Also wondered how much better his drums (and entire band) would have sounded had Sabbath enjoyed the great engineering that Zeppelin did (although Page would probably discount the role of the engineer to his role of producer).

And then I catch myself and say 'oh right, he's in Black Sabbath and I'm not'. But Bill is the man. His ego couldn't fit into a matchbox he's so down to Earth (no pun intended) and on the level. He is one 'rock god' I wouldn't even hesitate to walk up to and shake hands with.

I agree Morbid Koala. Nice and accurate comments towards Bill Ward, I am also his fan. Actually, Bill uses 2 - 26" x 14" bass drums since 1998.

Bill Ward is under rated for being in such an influential band I think. His drumming was influential to me even before I started playing drums. I think that there is another topic focused on him somewhere in this board, though.

Ward is my greatest example of the drummer playing for the music. He's not trying to squeeze in unnecessary bits and pieces. He enhances the part, never overplaying.

I don't know if its a backhanded compliment or not but people often refer to him as a 'percussionist' rather than a 'drummer'.

To dumb it down would be to say that he's the perfect mix of Paice and Bonham with a stronger leaning towards Paice.

Back