Sound Proofing

Green_Shoes

Hi Guys,

I want to dampen the reverb i get from the small room i practise and record in but i am unable to attach anything permanent to the walls etc as its a rented place and the owners wouldn't be happy.

I have thought of just putting (standing up again the wall) pillows, would that work? Has anyone else got some good ideas?

Thanks,

I had a regular blanket hanging from my closet shelf for a while, but I dont think it did much. I keep hearing that moving blankets are good. Get some 2x4's and prop the blanket against the wall. The blanket draped over the 2x4s leaning against the wall, might help.

I think tho the key point would be to cover some of the blank wall space with something to absorb and diffuse the sound. Perhaps a spare mattress standing against the wall? Or if you can get some of the soundproofing tiles and just stand them against the wall or use a picture hanger nail to hang them around the room. A few small holes shouldnt bother the owners too much.

I've actually been toying around with the idea of putting up those foam, egg-shell mattress toppers they sell in wal-mart for about $20 each. Depending on the size of the area you want to sound proof this might be a fairly inexpensive option. Also, you shouldn't have too much trouble attaching them without drilling into your wall.

I've actually been toying around with the idea of putting up those foam, egg-shell mattress toppers they sell in wal-mart for about $20 each. Depending on the size of the area you want to sound proof this might be a fairly inexpensive option. Also, you shouldn't have too much trouble attaching them without drilling into your wall.

What are these egg-shell things? Im UK based so cant get to a wal-mart so pictures help.

What are these egg-shell things? Im UK based so cant get to a wal-mart so pictures help.

1880719362_69a0c0a5c9.jpg

They work really well and are fairly inexpensive. Just measure your walls and cut it up.

I don't thinks its memory foam but I could be wrong. Memory foam is quite pricy from wha I recall. This is just plain old foam.

I don't thinks its memory foam but I could be wrong. Memory foam is quite pricy from wha I recall. This is just plain old foam.

Yeah. Your right. Moving blankets work really well. http://www.moverssupplies.com/ I have a 10 x 10 concrete room line all the way around for my son to practice in. It doesn't soundproof it but it absorbs all the reflections and stifles the room.. big time. No reverb.. just a dead flat room.

Just to clear up a technical point for the original poster. Sound Proofing is not allowing sound in or out of the room. Sound treatment is improving the room acoustics with materials, etc.

Trust me to truly soundproof a room requires planning and money. Egg foam isn't going to stop the frequencies that our kits produce. Soundproofing is not an eaay thing to do. Your just wasting your time if it's done half a**.

Trust me to truly soundproof a room requires planning and money. Egg foam isn't going to stop the frequencies that our kits produce. Soundproofing is not an eaay thing to do. Your just wasting your time if it's done half a**.

Read the original post. He's actually got it wrong. He's not sound proofing, he's sound treating. That's easy and can be done cheaply.

Read the original post. He's actually got it wrong. He's not sound proofing, he's sound treating. That's easy and can be done cheaply.

I don't know he mentioned "neighbors" sounds like to me he is trying to soundproof, sound treating would be for recording not to satisfy the neighbors. If he wants to dampen a kit then buy some practice pads for the shells, hanging stuff on the wall doesn't work at all, especially low cost things. Bottom line is it comes across to me he wants to lower the db volume from the kit, there is only a few ways to do that.

I'm reading it differently. No neighbours mentioned at all. If you want to treat a room it's very easy. Large, soft things do the trick.

Your right that he is only talking about conditioning the sound of his drum room. Sound proofing in even the smallest room requires uncoupled double wall construction etc not to mention how to seal up the HVAC and electrical system. Even the smallest room say 12 x 12 to do it properly your looking about 7 or 8 grand.
He is in a rental unit…. It’s just not going to happen.

I own and decided not to Sound Proof but shape the sound in the basement where my son plays. The room has flat hardwood floors and flat painted walls and ceiling. This makes for a very bright room. I added a few area carpets and built 6 of these
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/RCcars/acoustic_panels.htm

They help control the acoustical ring in the room buy absorbing certain frequencies. Foam is also a viable alternative but bead foam has little absorption properties. There are sellers on eBay where you can find purpose built acoustical foam relatively inexpensive that has an appropriate NRC rating.
The best approach really depends on the frequencies your trying to control.

Just to clear up a technical point for the original poster. Sound Proofing is not allowing sound in or out of the room. Sound treatment is improving the room acoustics with materials, etc.

Correct, sound treatment is what I'm on about. Sorry everyone.

Numberonefan, those panels are the ideal solution. I've seen them used in various magazines and locations and there's no more cost/effective, convenient and technically sound solution.

In short, Green_Shoes, I recommend you get yourself some acoustic foam, some wood, glue and a few screws and some way of hanging them. It'll work wonders. And is entirely removable.

Holy C***, I would have sworn I read "neighbors" in his post. Man I must need a nap.

Easy. If you want to keep from disturbing people with your drums, just get rid of the people.

Back