V-Drum Setup specifics/rules ?

Metorosun

I recently picked up a used V-Drum kit (Roland TD3), and when i packed it up i lost the configuration that the guy originally had. So i set it up to the best of my ability, trying to compare with some kit pics from around the net. Now, i feel that the setup is OK at best but i still feel like something is off with the snare/hihat/tom setup, and after speaking to a drummer buddy of mine he said that the snare and hihat should be set up so that your wrists are sort of aligned (when crossed) so the sticks don’t hit.

And since most v-drum setups online consist of pretty much one pic, its hard to get a good idea of precise distance and hight setups between pads. For example.. i set up my snare and toms to sort of resemble a trapezoid, but i see some other setups where the pads seem spread out more and not bunched together. My ideal setup would be something that is versatile among styles and idea for a beginner/intermediate. I just want to make it clear that i don’t wanna make things easy for myself and then have to re-learn or make major adjustments when moving to a acoustic kit. I realized my setup was a bit odd when i had trouble with some of my practice regiments on the toms/snare (2 hits on tom 1, then 2 on snare, then 2 hits on tom 2 then back to snare etc..).

I know that over time, a lot of this stuff boils down to personal preference, but i would like to have a good idea of what would be best for me at this point in time, as i really don’t know what is right.

I will post pics of my setup when i get home.

Feedback would be appreciated, thanks guys!

Have your drummer friend set it up for you. That'll get you in the ball park. Then you can tweak things and make slight adjustments for your own comfort as you go.

Have your drummer friend set it up for you. That'll get you in the ball park. Then you can tweak things and make slight adjustments for your own comfort as you go.

I agree with this.

Although set it pretty much however feels comfortable for you, there are no 'rules' or 'specifics' this includes the 'wrist rule' your drummer friend has, its a comfort thing, some like their hats at 12 'o'clock, some at 10, I personally like mine at 9 s my wrist are no were near each other.

you've pretty much got it right by looking at pics and setting it up, from here I would just say play it and if something feels too far away, bring it closer, if it feels to close, move it away, basically if it doesnt feel 'right' then it isn't, every set up is different.

Just set it up and keep tweeking it until it fits.

I must have adjusted mine a hundred times in the 1.5 years I've had it.

I tried to keep the snare and stool height the same as my acoustics. The Edrum HH is 100 times easier to place because there is no tripod stand to get in the way.

You may want them spread out like acoustics but I prefer to keep them tight.

HH is the generally the left pad, sometimes the top right is I want to play open handed.

Top pads are accessories like cowbell, tambourine or whatever the song/kit requires.

Right pad is ride cymbal

And, sticks are going to get crossed up and hung up until you adjust to the smaller targets.

2012-09-29_10-15-28_724.jpg

I recently added 4 pads to trigger my SPD right handed.

2013-03-17_16-36-15_728_zps6e06e6df.jpg

Wow, thanks NewTricks, your setup is amazing. I will eventually get around to having my buddy come by, but in the meantime i will keep checking out peoples setups. At the current moment, when i'm playing hihat and snare my sticks are not crossed.. my snare hand is far back enough so that when i raise the stick it will be just below my hihat stick that is coming across from the right. It seems fine tho, but i will continue to adjust it.

Thanks again guys!

Back