Phil Collins

Re: Music like Phil Collins' drum solos - recommendations?

Phil Collins was an amazing drummer/musician. I read recently he had a spine injury that stops him from even sitting behind a drum kit. Anyone heard similar?

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

Re: Music like Phil Collins' drum solos - recommendations?

Phil Collins was an amazing drummer/musician. I read recently he had a spine injury that stops him from even sitting behind a drum kit. Anyone heard similar?

TJ @ www.britchops.co.uk

Yes, Phil has retired from everything since last year. It's even a bit worse then that, he's dealing with depressions…

It struck me today how young Phil actually was. He was 19 when he joined Genesis in '70. On Genesis Live he is 22, at the Lamb tour he was 24/25. Simply amazing…

Yes Phils drumming on the 4 Tops tunes is memorable for sure. I liked his drumming on Finger Tips Part 1, you could tell its Phil right away, being a lefty and all.
Honestly has the meaning for the word "Great" changed over the years? Phil Collins is a better drummer than most musicians would give him credit to be. He has strength and drive and is a strong pocket player too. A drummer who can sing and accompany other vocals is a rare musician however GREAT I'm sorry that word has been watered down to the point of no return. Buddy Rich, Chick Webb, Elvin Jones are a few others that are/were Great! Phil Collins is not Great and sometimes opinions need to have some knowledge and experience to bare them out. Theirs actually people who think Sting is a Great bassists but they also have never heard of Ray Brown or Stanley Clarke so go figure that. Can't he be "really good" "a perfect fit for genesis" "extremely tastey" most of his unque style is that hes a lefty so strokes do have a sound and feel different for right handed players. I like Phils style and his approach to drumming I also like his use of cymbals but the word Great means exceptional and inventive and eminent. Sorry to rant on this but it gets ridiculous to keep hearing how every popular pop drummer are Great. Try hes my favorite or I really like his approach to the drums but Great is a word for exceptional and in pop music theres really very few musicians who are Great. Popular Yes!!! Charlie & Ringo & Keith & whoever are Unique to their audiances and those fellows fit their bands very well but Great? Com on, Really. Doc

Phil is great. You are a snob.

Lets just say everyones Great!! Everyone who plays in a rock band that sold millions of recordings must have Great musicians in the band, right? I mean how can you sell so many records and become millionaires if your not great? Imposible ofcourse their Great Charlie Watts and Ringo are Great Drummers aren't they? Is Keith Moon a great drummer ofcourse he was he was a tremendous showman so he had to be Great, right? How come the Devo guy isn't Great oh thats right not enough Sales?? Or was he in a project years later were he showed his Greatness, I forgot. As to listening to Buddy spout out compliments my guess was there was some money floating his way cause the man didn't do much unless he would be heavily compensated for his time. Ofcourse Mr. Collins was Buddy's equal, hell if you paid Rich enough he'd say so just to retract it once the check cleared HA! Well I feel better to hell with the word GREAT it has little to NO meaning anymore. The new meaning is slightly to well above average and I won't forget it either.
Some think the jazz guys are a bit snobby when it comes to talking down about rock drummers but I know theres very talented players in the land of rock but not every guy is Great its ridiculous to hear this every other day. Theres so much hero worshiping on this forum I sometimes think I'm at a fan club meeting. Between swearing to the world that the drums they own are the sliced bread of drum companies to the exhaulting of a good rock drummer as a Great one starts to get a little juvenile. Again the children of the Rock Gods have spoken so let it be known the genre known as Rock only has Great Drummers. Doc

Sorry, what I meant to say is that you are a jealous sarcastic bitter snob.

Phil Collins is beyond great, he is an incredible drummer with an immediately identifiable touch/sound. I've seen him perform many times with Genesis as well as Brand X. I've been playing the drums for over 35 years, and I think I know a thing or two about music and drumming in particular. Anyone who doesn't think Phil is a great drummer, either hasn't heard enough of him, or doesn't really understand the instrument.

Phil is gifted in a way that allows him to drum, write, sing and act at a high standard.

Versatile. Great feel. Great chops. Influential. His playing has loads of personality and attitude, epitomised by his famous In the Air fill and maniacal playing with Brand X, eg. Nuclear Burn. He can sing complex lyrics and melodies while playing difficult drum passages.

His drumming speaks for itself. The man is legendary.

Excellent drummer and great songwriter. While I kind of put him in the pigeon hole of prog rock drummers (say with Bruford, Mike giles) it's interesting how his original influences are in Motown.

Immensely talented, but that aside he's one bloke who I can easily turn off the radio when I hear a Phil Collins song start. In fact more often than not, I find myself reaching for the dial to get rid of him as quickly and painlessly as I can.

I do quite like some of the Genesis stuff I've been exposed to and have no issue at all with his drumming. No doubt he can make some very interesting musical and stylistic choices behind a drum kit. But as a solo songwriter/lyricist, he doesn't do a lot for me at all and for that reason I've never really felt the need to delve much deeper into his body of work, including his drumming. Dunno, maybe the Zeppelin spot at Live Aid has tarnished him for me forever.

All in all, I have much respect for him. Just very little appreciation.

Brilliant musician. His stuff with 70s Genesis ranks among the best prog rock ever created.

Listen to Seconds Out and prepare to be blow away. The double drumming with Chester Thompson on Afterglow is a personal favorite.

It's easy to bag on Phil's solo stuff, as it was so prevalent in the 80s, but he created some great tracks as well with brilliant drumming moments. Other than the obvious in the air tonight, check out I don't care anymore, I wish it would rain down, inside out, take me home....

Saw him drumming with Genesis around 1972. Great drummer. It was a drum lesson to watch him play that progressive rock material!
Years later and on a Separate note I am sure Chester Thomson showed him a thing or two with respect to deep groove drumming. Agree the two together produce some great dual drumming tracks!
Always amazed me how Phil step out from behind the drums to replace Peter as the front man in Genesis.
Denis

Love his drumming. Dislike his voice. I did buy his first solo album Face Value and enjoyed most of those tracks. In 1987 I saw him live but by then his vocals annoyed me. I prefer him behind the kit.

Outrageously talented, in everything he does as a musician.

But only modestly influenced me, I suppose.

Back