Elvin Jones

i think elvin's rolling triplets was his calling card. and i'd bet that bonham heard a lot of elvin coming up.

i think elvin's rolling triplets was his calling card. and i'd bet that bonham heard a lot of elvin coming up.

Don't forget Mitch Mitchell in that, obviously he's influenced by many aspects of Elvin's playing, but his hand and foot triplets had that beautiful rubbery feel like Elvin's

Don't forget Mitch Mitchell in that, obviously he's influenced by many aspects of Elvin's playing, but his hand and foot triplets had that beautiful rubbery feel like Elvin's

Yeah, it probably would have been pretty hard to come up as a drummer during that time and not be checking out Elvin Jones and Max Roach and Clyde Stubblefield and Blakey and guys like that.

Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil pretty much embodies jazz drumming for me. Best jazz cymbal sound ever. Some great instances...
roll..roll...ROLL..ROLL...FLAMCRASH!

That CD come with me if I'm stranded on an island.

i really like Juju too
it's pretty much a toss up for me between that and Speak No Evil when it comes to Wayne Shorter and Elvin Jones

Am I the only one who thinks that Elvin overplayed, particularly on "A Love Supreme"? The stuff he did sounds amazingly difficult, but it really sounds like too much, especialy for a jazz record. Honestly, I don't think a drum solo has a place on a jazz record at all. Granted, he was clearly talented, and far better than I could ever hope to be, but I don't think he played well within the context of the song.

Sorry if I upset anyone. That was certainly not my goal. Also, if I came off as condescending, I apologize. In fact, on the contrary, I will be the first to admit that I am largely ignorant to jazz music and jazz drumming. This is precisely why I would like to why know no one else has mentioned this.

Am I the only one who thinks that Elvin overplayed, particularly on "A Love Supreme"? The stuff he did sounds amazingly difficult, but it really sounds like too much, especialy for a jazz record. Honestly, I don't think a drum solo has a place on a jazz record at all. Granted, he was clearly talented, and far better than I could ever hope to be, but I don't think he played well within the context of the song.

Sorry if I upset anyone. That was certainly not my goal. Also, if I came off as condescending, I apologize. In fact, on the contrary, I will be the first to admit that I am largely ignorant to jazz music and jazz drumming. This is precisely why I would like to why know no one else has mentioned this.

Are you sure you're a drummer?

You've answered your own question there. It's because, as you say, you are ignorant to jazz that you're not getting his drum part.

That said, even if you were informed and you still felt the same way, then fair enough. An opinion is to be respected.

As you'll learn more about jazz drumming, and the importance of the drums as a solo instrument you'll understand the 'mechanics' behind what makes an Elvin or Tony solo initially sound so intimidating. Elvin for example favoured using three beat phrases, but could start these phrases anywhere on the 4/4 bar, amongst many other transformations.

You kind of made my heart drop ... Obviously a tear has never left your eye after listening to it. I read some of the book A Love Supreme. If you knew what it all meant you would not have said that. Those statements sometimes make me want to stop what i do and get a desk job. But it's ok go back and listen to it some more. See if you can feel the aurora coming out of your player. Its really strong man real strong.

Sorry if i got dark, just that piece means a lot to me.

You kind of made my heart drop ... Obviously a tear has never left your eye after listening to it. I read some of the book A Love Supreme. If you knew what it all meant you would not have said that. Those statements sometimes make me want to stop what i do and get a desk job. But it's ok go back and listen to it some more. See if you can feel the aurora coming out of your player. Its really strong man real strong.

Sorry if i got dark, just that piece means a lot to me.

I'm definatly with you on that. I can understand why someone would think that Elvin overplayed, but the piece was Coltrane's gift to God and it's meant to be epic in every sense. Without Elvin's thundering cymbals, intense snare work and his solos of pure energy and passion A Love Supreme wouldn't be A Love Supreme.

Besides jazz isn't all about playing softly. Jazz can be louder and more intense than metal when it wants to be.

I'm definatly with you on that. I can understand why someone would think that Elvin overplayed, but the piece was Coltrane's gift to God and it's meant to be epic in every sense. Without Elvin's thundering cymbals, intense snare work and his solos of pure energy and passion A Love Supreme wouldn't be A Love Supreme.

Besides jazz isn't all about playing softly. Jazz can be louder and more intense than metal when it wants to be.

Sorry to get to both you guys. Like I said, I'm pretty ignorant to jazz music in general right now. Don't get me wrong, the music is excellent, but like Jones said, I just need to listen to more jazz as to understand his drumming, and the music he drums to.

Two words for you guys: SUN SHIP

Oh sweet cymbals of Elvin - that album is something else. Elvin is as if someone's injected him with pure energy - it's like listening to an lcd trip. He absolutely kills, I mean everything he does is pure genius, but this is truly him on top form. Especially Amen and Sun Ship and like someone earlier mentioned - he's EXPLODING.
It's one of the last recordings that quartet ever did together, and you can see how Coltrane's moving into a more free style and how that quartet were so perfect together. I mean they (according to McCoy Tyner) were able to make a whole composition out of just two notes. It's unreal. I can't recommend this album enough, even if you're not into the 'free' thing it's worth it purely for Elvin.

Two words for you guys: SUN SHIP

Oh sweet cymbals of Elvin - that album is something else. Elvin is as if someone's injected him with pure energy - it's like listening to an lcd trip. He absolutely kills, I mean everything he does is pure genius, but this is truly him on top form. Especially Amen and Sun Ship and like someone earlier mentioned - he's EXPLODING.
It's one of the last recordings that quartet ever did together, and you can see how Coltrane's moving into a more free style and how that quartet were so perfect together. I mean they (according to McCoy Tyner) were able to make a whole composition out of just two notes. It's unreal. I can't recommend this album enough, even if you're not into the 'free' thing it's worth it purely for Elvin.

Is that the name of the album?

Lol - tell me what you think once you get it, I'm in awe of this album. Also, anyone heard Rip, Rig And Panic by Rahsaan Roland Kirk? Elvin on drums - brilliant album epecially title track and From Bechet, Byas and Fats.

Back