Looking for the cheapest acceptable beginner e-set.

Markery

So, I've had a few years experience with an actual set, but I had to sell it a couple years back. Now I'm trying to find a good electronic set for noise reasons. I would qualify myself as a beginner because I was self-taught and haven't sat down and practiced in over a year. My budget is sub-$500, and I'm looking for the cheapest possible set that would serve me well as a beginner-novice. Recommendations could be greatly appreciated.

Less than $500?! Really?
I guess Alesis and Kat is about it as far as new. I wouldn't look for them to "serve you well" however. Those kits are very entry level and may not be suitable for a serious drummer even one just learning. They would be a step up from paint cans and pots and pans though.
Check out used also but be careful about working condition.
If you start out with very low quality you might lose interest quickly in an otherwise fantastic experience.
Good Luck

Yes, under $500 is going to be almost impossible. The closest you might come is this one at $799. Comes with sticks, throne, and headphones and a beaterless kick. Note that even if you find a kit, say a used one, for $500, you might not get the throne, headphones, and beater since these are almost always sold separately. Most people will be paying at least $300 just to get fairly basic throne, headphones, and beater, so that's going to be up around $800 quite quickly to get you playing. You can also get this kit at places like Amazon and Sweetwater for the same price, but I think it will have no phones or throne, so a good deal at Costco + free delivery (you might even use a borrowed Costco membership if you don't have one yourself). Even has a mesh snare. Never played one myself, though.

http://www.costco.com/Roland-HD-3-V-Drums-Lite-Electronic-Drum-Set-Bundle.product.100003188.html

$499 including throne, headphones and sticks: http://www.kraftmusic.com/yamaha-dtx400k-electronic-drum-set-bonus-pak.html

Of course, it GREATLY depends on your definition of 'acceptable'. I wouldn't want this one. I spent over 3x that amount to get a real hi-hat, real bass pedal, better pads, better module, etc. Personally, I find my kit barely acceptable. Someday, when I have more room and less noise concerns, I can't wait to get a real kit.
Also, if money is really tight, you'll probably do better buying used, but you will have to be careful that everything works.

Okay, so I've taken what you guys have to say into consideration, but that still doesn't change the fact that I can't invest much more than around 400. I'm not looking for a kit to last me a lifetime or serve me when I'm a seasoned drummer, I want a kit get some good practice on for a year until I can sell it and make a more substantial investment.

I've looked on Craigslist, and found one potential candidate within driving distance. Other than this I'll probably be trying to find a Yamaha DTX400 on eBay.

http://littlerock.craigslist.org/msg/4476994417.html
As you can see the list price is $500, however I messaged him asking if he'd take $300, and he went down to $400. I'm thinking of trying to haggle a little bit more to cover the gas money, but I was wanting some second opinions on this. It does get fairly good reviews and retails at $600-$800.

Craigslist.

I saw a low end Ion brand rubber pad kit for $125 today.

I see used mesh snare/rubber pad Rolands for $300-$500

Okay, so let me reiterate my question and ask a couple more specific ones. After reading a bunch of reviews I'm fairly convinced that this Alesis DM8 is the right kit for my budget. The main opinion I'm looking for is, if you wanted to buy the best e-kit for $400, would a 1 1/2 year old Alesis DM8 Pro in "excellent" condition be a logical choice?

If your answer is yes, I was also wondering about the expand-ability of this kit. Granted, I don't plan on having this kit forever, and I would like to get a much better one in the future. But I was curious about things like eventually doing a mesh conversion if I find it necessary, and couldn't really find a straight answer online or anyone who's converted their DM8 to mesh heads, only DM10. Also, what is your overall opinion on buying used? Have any of you had good experience buying used e-kits, or is there usually a reason they want to get rid of it?

Thanks.

Okay, so let me reiterate my question and ask a couple more specific ones. After reading a bunch of reviews I'm fairly convinced that this Alesis DM8 is the right kit for my budget. The main opinion I'm looking for is, if you wanted to buy the best e-kit for $400, would a 1 1/2 year old Alesis DM8 Pro in "excellent" condition be a logical choice?

I suggest you head over to the DMdrummer forum if you haven't already, as they have a variety of Q&As about the DM8. It should help you find out more about what to expect buying used.

I don't have any experience with Alesis gear, apart from checking out the DM10 kits, but a mesh head conversion would be well worth factoring into your overall choice.

Don't laugh.

Your looking for a basically an electronic practice pad set. Right? Something to enhance your practice and get your motor skills and muscle memory back in shape?

Have you checked out the Wii technology?

https://www.google.com/#q=wii+drum+set

Last edited:
Typically the reason someone sells their E-drums is to upgrade it meaning they found out they made a mistake and should have bought a better kit the first time. Of course there are other one off reasons like need to eat, support some other habit, etc.
But think about it if 1.5 years ago this guy spent $800 on a set and now has to sell for half price was that a good purchase? He rented the kit for $400 for 1.5 years?

There also seems to be different DM8 models "real head" and "rubber" which one is this?
The DM8 can be expanded with 2 more pads maybe more if you can use splitters.
You probably can do a conversion to mesh but the question would be why would you?
Buying used should not be any different than buying a used car. Ask questions and take a long test drive and maybe a mechanic if you know one.

The "best $400 e-kit" would be the $5000 one sold by the crack head on the corner (it might be hot) or the pissed-off ex-wife (the ex-husband might be really hot!).

Dude, I know you want a yes answer to your question but I can't in all honesty give it if you are really serious about your drumming.
I had the same dilemma when I was starting out. I had $1200 bucks and I ended up waiting another 6 months till I had $2400 for a new Roland TD-9 kx2 (which I still have most of). During the wait Roland stopped making the TD9 and came out with a TD9 ver 2 module. I was considering a TD-4 but 6 months wait and I got 4x the kit. If I would of not waited I think I would have been really sorry (knowing and having what I do today). I know my experience would have been very bad to say the least.

You are already thinking expansion and conversion and not having it long. Those are alarms to listen to (fire. get out now!).
If you must spend that $400 now and have something to hit go out today and buy it! (caution be damned) and live with the decision you made. You will not be the first or last to make such a decision. At least you have been informed and that is important.
If you end up waiting think about TD-9ver2 or DTX502 or even DM10x as good starting points. Life can be a drag and you get what you pay for most times OR you get really lucky and hit the lottery. You don't sound like you want to wait for the lottery.

Just another opinion of course. You are the one that has to make the choice!

Typically the reason someone sells their E-drums is to upgrade it meaning they found out they made a mistake and should have bought a better kit the first time. Of course there are other one off reasons like need to eat, support some other habit, etc.
But think about it if 1.5 years ago this guy spent $800 on a set and now has to sell for half price was that a good purchase? He rented the kit for $400 for 1.5 years?

There also seems to be different DM8 models "real head" and "rubber" which one is this?
The DM8 can be expanded with 2 more pads maybe more if you can use splitters.
You probably can do a conversion to mesh but the question would be why would you?
Buying used should not be any different than buying a used car. Ask questions and take a long test drive and maybe a mechanic if you know one.

The "best $400 e-kit" would be the $5000 one sold by the crack head on the corner (it might be hot) or the pissed-off ex-wife (the ex-husband might be really hot!).

Dude, I know you want a yes answer to your question but I can't in all honesty give it if you are really serious about your drumming.
I had the same dilemma when I was starting out. I had $1200 bucks and I ended up waiting another 6 months till I had $2400 for a new Roland TD-9 kx2 (which I still have most of). During the wait Roland stopped making the TD9 and came out with a TD9 ver 2 module. I was considering a TD-4 but 6 months wait and I got 4x the kit. If I would of not waited I think I would have been really sorry (knowing and having what I do today). I know my experience would have been very bad to say the least.

You are already thinking expansion and conversion and not having it long. Those are alarms to listen to (fire. get out now!).
If you must spend that $400 now and have something to hit go out today and buy it! (caution be damned) and live with the decision you made. You will not be the first or last to make such a decision. At least you have been informed and that is important.
If you end up waiting think about TD-9ver2 or DTX502 or even DM10x as good starting points. Life can be a drag and you get what you pay for most times OR you get really lucky and hit the lottery. You don't sound like you want to wait for the lottery.

Just another opinion of course. You are the one that has to make the choice!

I'll definitely take what you're saying into consideration. I notice that you said the DM10x might be a good starting place, and I noticed that on Zzounds they have a DM10 for $799, even offering a monthly 4 payment plan. That's now something I'm also seriously considering. I was wondering if you would recommend the DM10 the same as the DM10x, and why or why not? Extending that to the DM8, what aspects of it make it not so recommendable in comparison with the DM10x? I guess I'm not totally seeing what's so wrong with the DM8 that's not with these slightly higher ones retailing $1000-1500 for a novice. And also, I didn't plan on converting/expanding any time soon, I just wanted the mesh pads as an option if they end up being too loud (which is workable, I know they won't be THAT loud), maybe also eventually incorporate a ride cymbal because that's what I had with my old drum set.

I figure if I decided I did want to invest $400 into the DM8, and end up seeing these fatal flaws in it that make it unplayable or workable, taking it to the bigger town I live in there's no way I couldn't at least get $375 back and use it toward my next kit. I've turned profits on tons of used items I've bought.

I really don't want you guys to think I have the same expectations as you in a kit by any means, I know if you bought or used a DM8 you'd think it's a complete piece of shit in comparison to your pro kits. See, this is more about me dying to get my hands on a set of drums again, it's been much too long and I can feel what I used to know fading with time. However, I was never more than a simple self-taught novice, I had a $450 Pearl Export that I bought used on Craigslist as well, I know it served me very well and I enjoyed the heck out of it. Used it for 3 years, then sold the drums individually on eBay and made over $550 back. Anyway, I think sometimes you have to jump back into something before your interest completely fades, because it'd be hard to have the ambition to save all my extra side money just to stare at kits online for a year until I can finally get one, you know? Saving is slow, in 2 months I'll probably have amassed a grand $75-100 more toward my purchase.

I really know very little about the DM series. I put those modules in order of preference based on what I have read (reviews), personal experience of others and what I remember looking at when I was looking for my first kit.
I have only owned Roland kits.
I really could care less what anybody else buys for themselves! I am not a paid spokesperson for any brand.
I just remember when I was looking to buy I got very useful info from a group of folks that saved me time, money, frustration, etc.
Just trying to return the favor.

Look at craigs list and you can see many more listings for lower end models than the good stuff there are reasons for that.
All these companies make lower, mid and higher end models. I would guess there is more profit in the lower end stuff cause people buy more lower end stuff to save $ then either up grade or never buy again due to disappointment either way these companies make big $$ with that sales model and human nature.

Good luck with your purchase whatever it is. Above all have fun with it.

Thanks for your advice Intruder, I really do appreciate it.
Above all I'm just looking for a general consensus as to whether or not I'm making a logical choice given my budget, because I know I'm never going to find a crack head selling a $5000 set on the corner. There's quite a few $400-$600 used kits out there to consider. Now that I think of it, I could probably sell my Xbox 360 and games since I don't use it all that often, that's another potential $200 right there, so now I'm at upwards of $550-$600. Does anyone have any experience buying used on eBay? The shipping is usually pretty substantial, but so is gas money in driving long distances.

Back