My new kit (big sizes, refinished)

412drummer

Most of these drums including two of the "floor toms" and one rack tom were found in a junk car. The one actual floor tom with legs was from my place off a no name kit. The bass drum was the only drum purchased. I saw a kit for sale cheap on cl and I wanted the bass drum and the hardware that was included alone made it worth the purchase and long drive to buy (about an hour an a half each way). The bass drum is actually a marching drum converted to a bass drum. The two floating 15 in toms were actually marching snares. They were leedy and Ludwig but everything about them was bad (missing parts, some wood needed work, the finishes were horrid, badges mostly gone, hoops destroyed, all they had going for them was the shell was in tact). The 13 in rack tom was from a junk car but I am not sure on brand ( I think slingerland) and in similar shape. Anyway I bought new hoops, rods etc.., cleaned up the lugs, and refinished them in red sparkle. The red sparkle does not show to well in this pic because it was taken in a dark attic with my cellphone. All in all this project took a lot of time but I do think I will keep this one.

Attachments

• IMAG1345.jpg
    IMAG1345.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 452
Re: My new kit (big sizes,refinished)

Very cool! What did the wood underneath the wraps look like? Was it damaged or could it be refinished?

I did not remove the wraps on them because of fear of damage. I began to try to remove them (using a few different techniques I seen on here) and saw that it was going to peel the wood. I am not sure what these used on these older drum but it was defiantly a stronger adhesive because I have removed wraps on newer drums with ease. What I ended up doing was sanding down the wraps and putting several plain red base coats that were close matching to the red sparkle. I then applied the red sparkle over top of the red. I would have preferred to remove the wraps because it generally would of been less product and work but this was the only way to do it I felt without peeling the wood apart.

I did not remove the wraps on them because of fear of damage. I began to try to remove them (using a few different techniques I seen on here) and saw that it was going to peel the wood. I am not sure what these used on these older drum but it was defiantly a stronger adhesive because I have removed wraps on newer drums with ease. What I ended up doing was sanding down the wraps and putting several plain red base coats that were close matching to the red sparkle. I then applied the red sparkle over top of the red. I would have preferred to remove the wraps because it generally would of been less product and work but this was the only way to do it I felt without peeling the wood apart.

I've killed a few junk drums by taking off the wrap when it didn't want to be removed. Fortunately, I've never killed a nice drum that way! Kit looks great. Nice work.

I've killed a few junk drums by taking off the wrap when it didn't want to be removed. Fortunately, I've never killed a nice drum that way! Kit looks great. Nice work.

Good to hear. I could only imagine what any drummer would do if they did that to a nice drum. And thank you for the kind words.

Back