Thinking of picking up the guitar

Therma lobsterdore

I've been thinking about it for ages, how I only know rhythm and have only shallow knowledge of melody, so I'm thinking it's about time I actually picked up a melodic instrument. I'm thinking guitar so I could make my own tunes entirely, rather than having to explain my brain farts to other musicians.

So I'm wondering if anybody here has picked up the guitar? And has any advice on where to start? Books, videos, forums etcettera. I'm probably gonna pick up a cheap acoustic and learn on that for a while I reckon.

Hey, I've actually done the exact same thing....pick up the guitar. I found this online lesson site called

http://justinguitar.com/

It's been quite helpful.

However, before learning guitar, if you havn't already, learn some basic theory and be able to work your way around a piano to at least a beginner level. The piano helps soooooo much with learning music just because its so visual in the layout of the notes.

I bought a guitar in the mid 90's to do just this, but then I go so busy playing drums, I never had much time to figure it out.

A few years ago, my band was having problems finding a guitar player who fit the vibe of what we were doing. So out of frustration, I picked up my guitar and sat down and figured out how to get the parts down we needed for several songs. Sheer determination.

After that, I did take a few lessons just to clarify a few things.

Now I'm writing my own songs. It's a slow process. I don't play well enough to join a band on guitar, but I can record myself to get the ideas down.

There are a ton of "how to play" on youtube these days. I often reference them when I'm stuck.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll take all of it onboard when I do start learning. Luckily I live with a pianist, so I'm going to get her to teach me music and some basic piano like you suggested Groveryman, that sounds like a great idea to get me started on the theory.

Ya if you're just learning chords for guitar, and you have no idea what you're actually doing, its gonna be hard to improve at a high rate. And when you want to start "just playing" the guitar, or compose some music, its gonna be hard to solely rely on your ear to play the right notes.

I started messing around with guitars in the 70s and used them to write a few basic songs to present to the band. I have little aptitude for the instrument and never made much headway. Lessons would have helped.

In the 80s I picked up a couple of sequencers and a drum machine. Once I worked out the technical side, I found it a much easier way to bring brain farts to life.

If you just want to learn enough to get your ideas out and have some fun, but still have drums be you primary instrument, then it may be enough to just learn to read tablature. Then teach yourself some of your favorite songs to get going (either buy tab books or search online).

I started on guitar before picking up bass and finally drums.

I recommend picking up an electric - an acoustic body is a pain to get your arm around.

You can teach yourself as long as you have determination obviously and it's not too difficult once you get past the sore hands and bad sounding chords.

It'll improve your drum playing also - you'll get a better sense of melody and harmony.

I started playing the guitar a few months ago... now I'm giving up because my wrist pain is coming back due it. At any rate, try the Hal Leonard Guitar Method book (Complete Edition). It's only $12 and it's very comprehensive and straightforward.

Otherwise, try Ableton Live + some keyboard, you may be more successful. That's what I'm gonna try, at any rate.

The main reason for me wanting to learn guitar was the fact that I couldn't take my drums to uni halls so I thought I'd use the time to learn another instrument. So I bought one of those cheap starter sets for about £70. Didn't tough it for ages but then a friend at uni helped me a bit and now I'm fairly good at guitar and write my own songs (just for me), and I reckon I could hold my own in a band as say a second/rhythm guitarist. Something that really helped me progress was when I mastered power chords. most songs are built on these and for simple, general guitar playing they really help. learn these early on and they make a good foundation. As a casual player thats what I find anyway.

I've been thinking about it for ages, how I only know rhythm and have only shallow knowledge of melody, so I'm thinking it's about time I actually picked up a melodic instrument. I'm thinking guitar so I could make my own tunes entirely, rather than having to explain my brain farts to other musicians.

So I'm wondering if anybody here has picked up the guitar? And has any advice on where to start? Books, videos, forums etcettera. I'm probably gonna pick up a cheap acoustic and learn on that for a while I reckon.
I picked up the bass about a year ago and I've never looked back. I love playing drums but it's really nice to be able to create some melodies instead of just beats and grooves. It also increases your chances of getting into a band, if you're good enough at both instruments. So yeah, I'd reccomend it.

Back