Tommy Lee

Jaymasta said:
You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....

ur right as far comparing goes he has his style i hav mine...but what bout this ^ (bold) ^. i shur could've done better than him nd i hav tried it. i played snare nd quads for 3 yrs. (8th-soph) nd im planing on playin hem this junior yr. azwell.

note: i was one of the best snare drummers at my old highschool. it was a private school not huge, but filled w/ talent.

Yesterday I spoke with Skillets Drummer - Lori Peters and she told me she recently seen Tommy Lee performing at a concert. She mentioned that during the show, Tommy was lifted off the stage into the air where 2 more drum kits and percussion instruments were stationed and he played on them for part of his drum solo. She rather enjoyed his drum solo.

She also stated that on his stage kit, he actually used a 31" kick drum....is that HUGH or what?

jamndrummer said:
Yesterday I spoke with Skillets Drummer - Lori Peters and she told me she recently seen Tommy Lee performing at a concert. She mentioned that during the show, Tommy was lifted off the stage into the air where 2 more drum kits and percussion instruments were stationed and he played on them for part of his drum solo. She rather enjoyed his drum solo.

She also stated that on his stage kit, he actually used a 31" kick drum....is that HUGH or what?
Yeah man just look at his live performances you'll see it!

Tommy Lee was one of my major influences growing up as a kid; he definately made me want to pick up a pair of sticks. I have to laugh at the comments about him being "mediocre", "a nobody", "not impressive", or "not even a good drummer". As far as the bashers, and I'm not saying this just because of Tommy's influence on me, he's sold millions of albums with Motley Crue, toured all over the world and is still selling out shows on Motley Crue's reunion tour...but I guess that's what happens when you're a nobody.

I have to agree with Jaymaster that if it weren't for most bands, the drummers would be nobodys.

I don't like Blink 182 at all...but I think that Travis Barker is a great drummer.

Oh, I'm sure that h3llion would've done better on that college marching band tryout than tommy did on his TV show...even if he hadn't picked up a set of quad toms in 20 plus years! I started marching band when i was 11 years old and played all the way to my graduating year of high school; If i were to pick up my quad toms now after being away from them 10 years...it wouldn't be easy either.

If you've really listened to Motley Crue's stuff...Tommy's drumming is killer...both his sound and his playing...he was perfect for the Crue. His solos and his drumming might not have been very "technical", but his solos were fun to watch and his drumming definately inspired me. And I'm sure they've inspired others.

Not bad for a "medicore" drummer.

I don't understand what people got against him He's an entertaining drummer very good to. He has a good show I watch it every Tuesday. He's in a great band. He tours across the world. He get's good pay for what he does. And he's a really really nice guy I never met him but I've seen how he acts when meeting new people. And he has two solo records that other successful singers/bands helped him out with I just don't like that music. So what do people have against him?.

I thought I was the only one on this forum who was a Tommy fan. Serously, as far as rock drummers go, I think he's one of the best. Check out the Crue's live album, there's some cool playing on it.

I think its Tommy Lee's passion for the music that makes him great.Just like Lars and Travis.The exact opposite would be like the drummer from the Rolling Stones who looks like he is thinking about what he's going to watch on tv later while he's playing.

scarlit said:
I thought I was the only one on this forum who was a Tommy fan. Serously, as far as rock drummers go, I think he's one of the best. Check out the Crue's live album, there's some cool playing on it.
The double bass roll he did on the first song was sick!One of the baddest things I have ever heard.

I don't like tommy lee, which I stated before. But, I will give him this...him, and Motley Crue played a version of "Hot For Teacher", by Van Halen...and Tommy did a pretty nice AVH impression.

Top Notch Heavy Rock drummer who made a lot of money and fame doing what he loves. Not a Marco Minnemann or Lang by any means, however.

JohnMunsey said:
Tommy played the opening of Hot for Teacher!!!!????

Well yes from what I heard. Although, his bass drum doesn't sound like it has anything inside of there. Sounds almost like a rally really low tom-tom. He might've just played that instead.

geez, a lot of haters on the board here. i'd say T.L. isn't mediocre at all. a great rock drummer who played his parts with the crue perfectly. lot of cats talking a lot of BS about how they could do much better etc. same guys you'll never see post any soundclips of 'em selves i'm sure. how does it feel to be so jealous?

Hey did any of you see that episode of Tommy Lee goes to college there's a part where he's messing around on a drum set It was pretty damn cool what he was doing he was like soloing and it was very impressive especially for a 4-piece when he plays on a bigger set!

on_the_one said:
geez, a lot of haters on the board here. i'd say T.L. isn't mediocre at all. a great rock drummer who played his parts with the crue perfectly. lot of cats talking a lot of BS about how they could do much better etc. same guys you'll never see post any soundclips of 'em selves i'm sure. how does it feel to be so jealous?

Couldn't agree with you more bro. Stay Loud .

Jaymasta said:
Hey did any of you see that episode of Tommy Lee goes to college there's a part where he's messing around on a drum set It was pretty damn cool what he was doing he was like soloing and it was very impressive especially for a 4-piece when he plays on a bigger set!

I wish I could've seen that. I haven't seen his show yet.

Seems like some folks are jealous of Tommy Lee. If you are so much better of a drummer, how come no one has heard of you?

Tommy Lee is a solid rock drummer. Period. I don't understand what you guys want from him. Terry Bozzio coordination? Dennis Chambers speed? It's all totally irrelevant in the context of the music he's chosen to play. Which he plays well.

It was amusing to watch him fumble around on the quads, though. But you do have to realize that they edited out 99% of the rehearsals and threw in the shots of him blowing it. And it had been twenty years and is a totally different instrument than the kit.

Back