My search has ended

Actually he sold the matching snare to me too... I was the only one to bid on either one...

Tom

Wow there's a kit I thought I'd never see more pictures of. Congratulations, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. I'm not entirely surprised that Rob eventually sold these, but I do remember when he finally got them. What a thread that was.

This is what he had made for lighter weight so he could gig.

8 ply keller all the way around
12x18 kick
8x14 floor
6x13 snare

Attachments

• attachment-1.jpg
    attachment-1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 851
  • attachment-2.jpg
    attachment-2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 861
  • attachment-3.jpg
    attachment-3.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 842
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 844
Well, I did call first dibs on this kit when he sold it, but I'm glad it went to you tipk99. :)
Rob says to say hi to all from over at GN, and wishes he could defend himself on the reason for selling this beautiful kit. He really needed something super-portable and with him having less and less use of his right leg, he needed to be able to use either foot for the bass drum. He's eliminated his hi-hat stand and will have everything mounted, including an x-hat fot the hi-hat cymbals. Let us know when the drums have reached their new home with you tipk99.

Last edited:
Yes, Rob sent me pics of his new kit to post and explain why he sold the Unix too... I was just beat to the punch by Gruntersdad...

The new one he got seems pretty awesome, he even has a special snare stand modified from a mic stand. He seems really excited he'll be able to gig more easily with his new custom kit.

3114230173_c4671df387_o.jpg

He told me he'd send some mp3s when he gets it set up...

Zambizzi - I'm interested in hearing why you aren't a fan of the rounded bearing edges... seems like more head contact would bring a little more of the shell sound to the set... seems to me it would be more muffled sound, but a warm woody tone. And from hearing the mp3s he posted (In the ebay ad in addition to here on the forum) I really liked the sound.... still I love hearing other peoples opinions, so lay it one me!

And yeah, I've read that history like 3 times full through already... I'm excited!

Tom

Zambizzi - I'm interested in hearing why you aren't a fan of the rounded bearing edges... seems like more head contact would bring a little more of the shell sound to the set... seems to me it would be more muffled sound, but a warm woody tone. And from hearing the mp3s he posted (In the ebay ad in addition to here on the forum) I really liked the sound.... still I love hearing other peoples opinions, so lay it one me!

Well, IMO the rounded-over edges dampen the sound of the drum quite a bit. Yes, you'll bring more shell into the sound but that will dampen the attack and some of the sustain...giving you a more "mellow" sound. As I recall, that's exactly what Rob was going for...more of an "old school" sound. I like good 'ol 45's myself.

However - I'm sure you'll get whatever sound out of those drums that you're after and being stave...you'll naturally get more volume, overtones, attack, etc. I'd take your kit over any ply kit...now having gone through the "stave experience"! In fact, if I were a rich man, I would have bought those drums from Rob myself.

Good to hear that Rob's doing well, and nice to see that his drums went to a good home. Being that Rob is drumming with a disablilty, I feel there's no need for him to defend why he sold the Unix kit. I'm glad he's found a kit that suits his unique demands.

And for Tipk99, I still marvel at your score. Well done. Well done, indeed.

...banned ?

From here ?He was one of the good guys.

Barry

I asked this question a while back in its own thread and the story I got was that he got banned from Drummerworld for comments he made on Ghostnote. It was also, very wisely suggested that my inquiry die a natural death so as not to conjure up a heated debate on whether he should have got banned. So...

It was also, very wisely suggested that my inquiry die a natural death so as not to conjure up a heated debate on whether he should have got banned. So...

...say no more.

Barry

yes, wise

and about banning: beside the spammers we only had one or two bans the whole year, so you see...

Bernhard

Update if anyone cares:

My drums were supposed to be delivered today, but no deleveries due to the really, really terrible weather out here in Seattle... UGH! So hopefully sometime in the next week they'll arrive.

But in the mean time, Rob (fourstringdrums) has gotten his new kit all set up. Here are some pics and audio... Really sweet setup!

3129236297_d201afa44c_o.jpg

3130066116_aab2eca43e_o.jpg

3129236317_2cfb7f4fde_o.jpg

3129236331_3a55b81aa2_o.jpg

I have an mp3 oo... but I don't know how to post it.

Tom

How in the hell did I miss this thread? Man, I miss Rob. Glad to see something so ergonomic for his disability. I'm sure he loves it.

Man, poor Unix. I remember a while ago he said one thing that he would never want to see if his drums on a site like eBay.

But, luckily for you and him, it's an amazing set and hopefully you'll show the same love.
Treat that kit well, and it shall treat you well in return.

I myself almost baught a Unix kit, but after getting off tour all the expences ran me out dry.

Back