Carter Beauford

Jawnst said:
Hey, Not only is this DVD amazing, the jam break during "Two Step" is by far one of the best jams I've seen. Between Steffan Lessards amazing riffing on the bass and the flawless entry into a latin groove led by their piano player butch taylor and carter, it makes for an amazing session. I just recently went to the Dave concert in Camden, NJ and let me tell you, they saved "Two Step" as the final song of the curtain call and did the jam break... amazing. Check it out and keep rockin to carter brotha!

That's what I was talking about in my previous post. The performance from Carter during the entire 19 minutes Two Step is flawless.
The jam middle section with the interaction between Keybordist Butch Taylor is amazing !

Any drummer should own The Central PArk DVD concert, your collection is not complete without it !

Re: Groove chaser

Jawnst said:
I'll tell you what, I am a huge fan of jam bands like the Spin Doctors but some of the most intense rhythms I have ever heard came straight from Carter Beauford on the Dave Matthews Band CD Crash. It is a track called "Drive in, Drive Out" and I am honestly blown away every time I hear it. I always make sure I keep my biased emotions out of my suggestions because I also play guitar and am just an over all fan of the Dave Matthews Band, but if you do'nt happen to like the band, keep in mind every drummer respects another drummers ability and skill where it is deserved, and folks... Carter deserves MAD props on his syncopated rhythms he layed down on "Drive in, Drive out". Thanks for readin and keep on tappin'.

The ride pattern he does at the end on Drive in Drive out is sweet !!! The whole song is a Carter festival.
Dave Matthews said that he wrote this song for Carter so that his drummer could display his chops !

I am a huge fan of Carter... He is probably the biggest reason I started drumming!

Having said that, I'd like to clarify a few things: I checked back on the Live 8 footage, and Carter was still playing Yamaha drums (check out the lugs... classic Yamaha). Further proof lies in the fact that I was at the DMB concert at SPAC (near Albany, NY) later that night, and he was still using Yamaha drums. However, I noticed that Carter switched to Remo drumheads (at least for that night)!
Next, Carter, according to the Yamaha website, plays a 14x5.5 Roy Haynes signature copper snare. He could be playing Ocheltree snares and I may not have noticed, but he probably isn't since he isn't a Paiste endorser, and Ocheltree snares are REALLY expensive...
Finally, Carter is naturally a righty, but plays open-handed á la Billy Cobham.

Sorry about that anal-retentive burst of corrections, but I didn't want there to be any misconceptions.

But again, I idolize Carter... He is my God.

I think what I like most about Carter is his colorful use of cymbals. He's definitely one of the greats.

CarterB_Junkie said:
He has it all : deepest pocket in the cosmos

He is the only guy I know who can play very busy (especially live) but still he can maintain an incredible deep groove while his hands are flying around his enormous kit !

You might be jumping the gun a little there, though.

DR.WHOO said:
Ciao ragazzo

Italy here!!!

great drummer carter very good and solid drumming..
have u seen carter and wooten dvd?
very nice

T

Yes i seen that dvd.. that's Carter Beauford & Victor Wooten @ Making Music,right? :)
There you can see how he build an entire song..that's awesome :D

The cool thing about Carter is that yes yes yes he's a great drummer, but he's also willing to admit that half (if not more) of the stuff he plays is borrowed from other drummers- buddy rich,
dennis chambers etc.
If you ever check out "under the table and dreaming" which is his DVD of him basically explaining some of his little tricks and what not, most of what you find was initially being played by other drummers...
just a little input.

Good point, Go-Go Groove. He is EXTREMELY Dennis-y. Funny, when I worked in a drum store and customers would see the Dennis Chambers dvd playing, they would always say, "Hey, is that the guy from the Dave Matthews Band?" Half the time I'd tell them, "No, that's his dad."

Ah ! Big News Carter has been influenced by oher drummers ! Who would have thought such a thing ?

And don't forget the grand daddy of single stroke rolls Mr Billy Cobham !

Every drummer has influences and you don't create your own style from scratch, nobody does !

Yes Carter is very Dennis influenced but I say his playing is quite original and unique and when you hear Carter playing, you know it is him within seconds ( the hi hat grooves are HIS trademark), something you cannot say about every drummer.
And Carter is quite tasty regarding drummers he likes : Cobham, Chambers, Copeland, Porcaro, Gadd, Rich and other jazz greats.
Dennis chambers does the same thing on his dvd, he lists his influences and what he took from these influences for his playing !

Carter/Dennis are like twin brothers ! Dennis has said countless times that is often mistaken with Carter and they both joke about it and Dennis has nothing but good things to say about Carter and they both have the same special power :
they chew while they groove !

CarterB_Junkie said:
Ah ! Big News Carter has been influenced by oher drummers ! Who would have thought such a thing ?

And don't forget the grand daddy of single stroke rolls Mr Billy Cobham !

Every drummer has influences and you don't create your own style from scratch, nobody does !

Yes Carter is very Dennis influenced but I say his playing is quite original and unique and when you hear Carter playing, you know it is him within seconds!

Carter/Dennis are like twin brothers ! Dennis has said countless times that is often mistaken with Carter and they both joke about it and Dennis has nothing but good things to say about Carter and they both have the same special power :
they chew while they groove !

Not that anyone was disagreeing with any of this, right?

I am definitly glad of this sight, its nice to know that other than being apart of the normal life, filled with friends who have no carter beauford sense nor dmb music sence OR EVEN music sense. Its just glad i can ramble on.

Yes i am a Carter Fan, I started because of him, or should i say i restarted after listening to dave matthews band. And i have pretty much learned everything i have of drumming from him. In a way its kind of sad because when i jam with the band i used to be apart of. i would always play, somewhat a carter flow. So when i play that jsut jammin away all the sudden the music will stop.. all the sudden, "Jayson, that sounds like carter, play something else.." and in my mind you know "uh it is what i play, how i play.... its to hard not to."

There is so much i see that people around my town dont, some could possible think im gay if they didnt have any music sense, its just that im obsessed with his playing(Chops, unoriginal, of the beat in a way, but he always finds his way back to the normal if its 4/4 beats or any type), the set up of his drums, mainly including the double bass pedal, and his use of that and his hi hats... using those as a very big part to his drumming(Perfect), his face expressions(he loves what he does and i cherish him for that, playing with a smile on his face at all times). and ovcourse his roles and how fast he can go with each hand, i love slow mo'ing his solos and what not to wtach how fast he can play with jsut one hand(two step, central park dvd)

All i feel i do these days is try and find a drummer taht plays his area of music, i dont know if anyone knows one of those kind not to big bands that has the same drum ediquitee(however you spell it) as carter....

But ovecourse i do not play LIKE HIM, no one can, its perfect(in my sense). I jsut want to play like him, in a band of my own.

Plus a Minor Question.... Butch Taylor, why isnt he recognized as a band memeber its seems ALOT almost all footage of them he is on the side, and looking at cnetral park dvd(two step, WOW) and the gorge dvd(I dont know if many have seen it, it comes in the two disc cd music set, but if you have watch "seek up", damn)

Last edited:
Carter Beauford, you can't say enuff good things about him, he is one of the pioneers in drumming, he's got his own stlye, and amazes me everytime i listen, with his off-time and triplet fills, and all his percussion stuff added in in different places,u can surley tell that its him playing when u hear him, its an unmistakable sound, no matter how simple it is, Carter can make it sound GOOD, he's the man indeed.

I heard from my teacher (who knows Beauford) that the reason Carter seems like a lefty is that when he was a kid and was inspired to drum from some Buddy Rich videos, he reversed his own set to match what he saw on the screen!

Beauford is my god, watching this guy live is an experience everyone should witness

A very good drummer indeed, i would like to hear some of his solos if anyone can lend a hand.

Back