Choosing a set

Hello,
I am looking to get my very first set that I will own my self. I have been playing my dads +40 pearl fiberglass set since I was around 4 years old. So I have been playing around 11 years not. I am looking at two sets at the moment. The Pearl Export Series drum set with an extra tom, and a floor tom (Casey Cooper Set up) Or the PDP Concept Maple 7 piece kit. Both of these kits can be found here.

Pearl Export (Not including extra toms)
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Export-Standard-5-Piece-Drum-Set-w-Hardware-H94539-i2991551.gc

PDP Concept Maple
http://www.guitarcenter.com/PDP-PDP-Concept-Maple-by-DW-7-Piece-Shell-Pack-H95562-i3032500.gc

Both kits set up as a 7 piece retail around $900. After selecting a kit, I would like to purchase a double pedal, and a mounting rack.
A pedal that is catching my eye is the Pearl Demonatior Chain Drive Double Pedal which can be found here.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl-Demonator-Chain-Drive-Double-Pedal-109115717-i3058315.gc

And lastly the rack I cant really decide on.
So let me know which set, DOUBLE pedal, and rack you would recommend. My price range is around $1800 (INCLUDING CYMBALS)

Thanks for your help,
-FineVisionz

Re: Help choosing a Drum Set.

Go with the drum set that speaks to you the most (not literally).

Racks, I would go with Gibraltar.

Double Pedal is almost always going to be dependent on what you like. Might as well go with something on the same level as a DW5002, Iron Cobra, etc.

Then you need cymbals, you forgot cymbals. (unless you are keeping the current ones)

I wish I could play both kits but I don't think any of the music stores around me are going to have both at the same time.

no guitar center around you? also, have you played any maple kits before? just asking to see if you gotten a feel of what maple kits sound and feel like.

have you listen to them online?

no guitar center around you? also, have you played any maple kits before? just asking to see if you gotten a feel of what maple kits sound and feel like.

have you listen to them online?

I do have two guitar centers around me and a sam ash. So I'll see if they have a maple kit I could play. Thanks for the advice! Also, could you have Sam ash or guitar center come out to your house and help you set up you kit. I know how to set up a kit its just that the Rack kinda confuses me.

Thanks,
-FineVisonz

I do have two guitar centers around me and a sam ash. So I'll see if they have a maple kit I could play. Thanks for the advice! Also, could you have Sam ash or guitar center come out to your house and help you set up you kit. I know how to set up a kit its just that the Rack kinda confuses me.

Thanks,
-FineVisonz

It's doubtful someone from the store will come out to your house to help you set it up. Besides, your dad should know what's going on, right?

Question: why have you settled on those two brands? Have you seen everything there is to see in your price range?

It's doubtful someone from the store will come out to your house to help you set it up. Besides, your dad should know what's going on, right?

Question: why have you settled on those two brands? Have you seen everything there is to see in your price range?

Actually the store itself won't but the employees may. I used to work at Samash years ago and the employees were allowed to offer a setup service on their own time as it was not something the store offered and was therefor not a conflict of interest.

Wouldn't hurt to ask.

It hasn't been said yet so I'll just add: put aside at least 100 bucks for new heads. I'd even replace the beater side bass head, which is another $40. New heads will make your kit sing (literally). It's an often overlooked part of the process for buying a new kit. Happy hunting tho.

I haven't just settled on those two brands, my dad really want an american brand even though there probably assembled in China. I really want a 7 piece drum set, and those two sets have caught my eye, but I am open to any and all other segestions.

Thanks,
-FineVisionz

Back