Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Promo on Youtube!

wonder how it compares to trick pedals

that duo-deck feature is pretty baller i must say

Looks like a rip-off of AXIS, or even Taye. I am guessing it won't be popular among Christian drummers...

I noticed the ad now jumps on the direct-drive bandwagon...and directly downplays chain drive. They also tout "zero play" that axis had had for years. No more multiple cams!!!

The convertible long/short board pedal is a good idea.

Good marketing spin after years of eliminator chain drive hype! If they are priced reasonably they could really take off. They look like good pedals.

blah, blah, blah...more script please.

Nice to see Pearl making it to the direct drive world. Nice to see Pearl endorsers earning their keep. There isn't anything the Demon does that isn't already market-available. Except for the converting longboard action...cause ya know, players are looking to change the dynamic configuration of their pedals all the time. Try and be as consistent as possible...naw....lets change it up. Personally, I'm aset it and forget it type. Once I got my Axis Longboards dailed in, they haven't changed, ever.

Like the other pedals out there... anyone, given enough patience and time, could practice their way to greatness with it. Look at the vintage Speed King niche just on DW... you couldn't pry them from their SK's...and could probably play circles around the demon drive. Same with chain and strap-drive users...some just do better with the "old stuff".

Granted Pearl has always made a good product which I'm sure this is. Something about that video and the way they're trying to sell it off like it's the best thing since sliced bread, made my stomach turn.

my $.02.

Andy

well well well, look at the great bargain price for this pedal:

http://www.steveweissmusic.com/product/pearl-demon-drive-p3002d/double-bass-drum-pedals

Yeah, didn't see that coming. They did everything they could to rip off the trick pedal without directly infringing on it's patents but the sad thing is, they even copied the ridiculously high price. The only thing i see superior about the demon is the feature to convert from standard to longboard, but honestly, everyone's just going to set it to longboard and forget about it for the duration that they own it.

z-link universal joint? It's the same design concept that trick uses and sonor uses in its giant step.

Beater stroke adjustment is a direct rip off of trick's patented 3 way adjuster (Pearl has a 2 way)

Trick's compression spring> this pedal's stretch spring action but some people prefer that little bit of assist.

My overall opinion, Pearl defitiely has copied ERRR... designed the most awesome pedal on the planet. Now here comes the tidal wave of whines about the price being out of reach to Joe-GarageBand.

Oh snap, i just noticed something majorly different in the designs. Trick's dominator actually seperates into 2 identical single pedals (which i do frequently, since my studio/ rehersal kit is a true double kick and i just use a double pedal on my single-kick gig kit). I can't tell in the photo of the double demon if the slave pedal can be used independently (does it have a spring on it?). If not, that is a major advantage for the Trick pedal.

Oh snap, i just noticed something majorly different in the designs. Trick's dominator actually seperates into 2 identical single pedals (which i do frequently, since my studio/ rehersal kit is a true double kick and i just use a double pedal on my single-kick gig kit). I can't tell in the photo of the double demon if the slave pedal can be used independently (does it have a spring on it?). If not, that is a major advantage for the Trick pedal.

Plus, if it's about the same price, why wouldn't you go with the Trick? It seems like the Trick can do everything the Demon can do, only better.

I hope the geniuses at Trick though take a good look at the photo of the demon. They have a clip on the pedal board to attatch the "L" shape drum key to it. I told them (Trick) in an email a year ago when i got the dominator bigfoot that they should do it with THEIR pedal. Damn Pearl, stealing my ideas now, too. Hell they probably read it here on drummerworld's forum that i posted a few months back.

I played them at NAMM and they are a significant improvement over existing direct drives...

I know, I have had both the Axis and Trick since they first came out. I have been playing direct drive type pedals for about 20 years.

There are significant differences, first off, the ball bearings used in the new Pearl are an entire order of magnitude smoother than what Axis and Trick are using. You haven't felt smooth until you've tried these.

The action is smoother. The pedals feel glued to your feet.

The slave pedal gives MANY more oscillations when the beater is put into motion than does the Trick. The slave on the Pearl feels better than most main pedals.

They convert from long to shortboard in minutes. They can be used as two singles or a double.

The linkage between the pedal board and the solid "strap" is ball bearing mounted. This is something that I have always wanted. In a direct drive pedal, if that linkage is not perfectly straight it tends to wear unevenly and screw things up. That problem is eliminated with these pedals.

It's adjustable 9 ways til Sunday.

I don't really care about how many adjustments a pedal can make, the most critical thing is that the pedal feels like an extension of your foot. These pedals do that beter than any other.

I would suggest not buying that new pedal you were looking at until these new pedals hit the stores.

The price will be about the same as the Tricks. Prices for pedals like these are high because of the increasing cost of quality. It is often 10 times more costly to go from 99% quality to 99.9% quality. In actual fact 99.9 is 10 times more accurate than 99%( 1 bad out of 1000 instead of 1 bad out of 100).

As you near the limit, progression becomes more difficult/expensive.

Are the Tricks and Axis pedal bad? Hell no. But the Demon Drive is the next level.

well i think i know what im saving for after my new saluda, plus i can get some deals from my cousin at steve weiss

Last edited:
I played them at NAMM and they are a significant improvement over existing direct drives...

I know, I have had both the Axis and Trick since they first came out. I have been playing direct drive type pedals for about 20 years.

There are significant differences, first off, the ball bearings used in the new Pearl are an entire order of magnitude smoother than what Axis and Trick are using. You haven't felt smooth until you've tried these.

The slave pedal gives MANY more oscillations when the beater is put into motion than does the Trick. The slave on the Pearl feels better than most main pedals.

They convert from long to shortboard in minutes. They can be used as two singles or a double.

The linkage between the pedal board and the solid "strap" is ball bearing mounted. This is something that I have always wanted. In a direct drive pedal, if that linkage is not perfectly straight it tends to wear unevenly and screw things up. That problem is eliminated with these pedals.

I don't really care about how many adjustments a pedal can make, the most critical thing is that the pedal feels like an extension of your foot. These pedals do that beter than any other.

I would suggest not buying that new pedal you were looking at until these new pedals hit the stores.

The price will be about the same as the Tricks. Prices for pedals like these are high because of the increasing cost of quality. It is often 10 times more costly to go from 99% quality to 99.9% quality. In actual fact 99.9 is 10 times more accurate than 99%( 1 bad out of 1000 instead of 1 bad out of 100).

Are the Tricks and Axis pedal bad? Hell no. But the Demon Drive is the next level.

With how established you are here, you're obviously not a Pearl rep. But besides the price, are there any flaws with this pedal?

With how established you are here, you're obviously not a Pearl rep. But besides the price, are there any flaws with this pedal?

I only had about 10 minutes total playing time on it so I can only give first impressions. I can't vouch for its long-term durability or how well all of the adjustments hold up after years of abuse.

I only had about 10 minutes total playing time on it so I can only give first impressions. I can't vouch for its long-term durability or how well all of the adjustments hold up after years of abuse.

Looks like a compromised version of the trick. Stretch strings the next level? GMAB!!! Seriously, it's a step backward. Look at tricks easily adjustable compression spring knobs.

Adjustability? Cam design? Nothing new there.

It does have the long/short board conversion, but I use long boards only....that feature is of no use to me.

The latest "fad" is to say how little difference "woods" make in a drum kit. In the same time frame, we have hyper-exaggeration about the difference between pedal performance...not feel, performance. If anything, it is the single most exaggerated aspect of drumming.

I'll keep my bigfoot pedals over those things, thanks.

Last edited:
Looks like a compromised version of the trick. Stretch strings the next level? GMAB!!! Seriously, it's a step backward. Look at tricks easily adjustable compression spring knobs.

Adjustability? Cam design? Nothing new there.

It does have the long/short board conversion, but I use long boards only....that feature is of no use to me.

The latest "fad" is to say how little difference "woods" make in a drum kit. In the same time frame, we have hyper-exaggeration about the difference between pedal performance...not feel, performance. If anything, it is the single most exaggerated aspect of drumming.

I'll keep my bigfoot pedals over those things, thanks.

I actually think that the differance in slave-master pedal makes somewhat of a differance. I cannot use some cheaper double pedals, they just throw off my playing (yeah, I know, it's bad. But I just cannot deal with cheap pedals). Personally it's a bit too over-hyped, like you said.

I actually think that the differance in slave-master pedal makes somewhat of a differance. I cannot use some cheaper double pedals, they just throw off my playing (yeah, I know, it's bad. But I just cannot deal with cheap pedals). Personally it's a bit too over-hyped, like you said.

We are in agreement here. Since playing pedals with two active sides, I will never go back to the active/drone double pedals. I am willing to bet that in the next 5 years, the standard is raised for all premium pedals to be active on both sides, and the old active/passive paradigm will end, except in the crummy entry level pedals.

I have no appreciation for cheaply made, sloppy pedals with lots of play either.

I'm with trkdrmr on this one, stretch spring is a step backwards, I'll bet that the action on a ludwig speed king is superior to the demon drive due to string compression. To say that the ninja bearings make it faster than the axis or trick is ludicrous. Come on, Jeff almeyda, senior consutant, your foot doesn't feel bearing fluidity, it feels SPRING TENSION. Sheesh . Anyone who claims that has bought into the hype. Go ahead and google or wiki "ninja bearings". All it is is a brand name of some skateboard company who claims (like every other one on the market) to have produced the most advanced ones on the market. I also have owned this:

IMG_1152.jpg

which were awesome, and by far called the smoothest here on the internet, but then i upgraded to these:

100_0106.jpg

So i have a personal testimony to back up my performance claims. Simply saying, "these are an order of magnitude greater" is ridiculuos... by an order of magnitude. I can personally testify that my double bass blast beat increased from 204bpm single stroke sixteenths with the DW 9000, which i owned for 2 years, to 216 bpm simply by switching to the Trick. I am definitely going to buy the pearl demon drive for my own satisfaction to put it to the acid test to find out if it truly is the best, and hey, If i'm doing 217 bpm with it, guess what? The Trick's going on ebay.

I'll reserve judgement on the demon until i get my foot on one.

does anyone know if the new pearls are gonna have a good amount of throw to them? i ask this because i have owned the axis longboards and those really had no throw at all.
and trkdrmr, im a christian drummer and im looking forward to these pedals for sure!

Back