3/8" memory locks

EricT43

Hi guys.

Did you know that a cymbal boom arm has 6 possible adjustments?!?! Up/down in the clamp, rotation in the clamp, up/down on the ratchet, rotation of the rod in the ratchet, extension length of the rod in the ratchet, and tilt angle of the cymbal holder. No wonder it takes so bloody long for me to set up my cymbals!

I recently got myself a PDP rack, and so far I'm loving it. My goal is to get my setup time as low as possible, since I rehearse and/or gig a couple of times per week. That means memory locks on everything!

I have some older booms stands that I'm using with the rack (minus the bases of course). The boom rods are 3/8" in diameter, versus the 1/2" that is typical today, and I have not been able to find memory locks for them. Any idea where I can get some?

Hi guys.

Did you know that a cymbal boom arm has 6 possible adjustments?!?! Up/down in the clamp, rotation in the clamp, up/down on the ratchet, rotation of the rod in the ratchet, extension length of the rod in the ratchet, and tilt angle of the cymbal holder. No wonder it takes so bloody long for me to set up my cymbals!

I recently got myself a PDP rack, and so far I'm loving it. My goal is to get my setup time as low as possible, since I rehearse and/or gig a couple of times per week. That means memory locks on everything!

I have some older booms stands that I'm using with the rack (minus the bases of course). The boom rods are 3/8" in diameter, versus the 1/2" that is typical today, and I have not been able to find memory locks for them. Any idea where I can get some?

Huh, that is a lot of adjustments!

You'd probably have more luck if you searched for the meter equivalent, which is 10.5mm. I know Gibraltar makes a memory lock for that size but can't remember the specific model number. Anyways, should be plenty of options.

Huh, that is a lot of adjustments!

You'd probably have more luck if you searched for the meter equivalent, which is 10.5mm. I know Gibraltar makes a memory lock for that size but can't remember the specific model number. Anyways, should be plenty of options.

Good idea. Although my math says that 3/8" is 9.5mm. Looks like there are a few options on eBay...

Actually, I remeasured with my calipers and they are closer to 7/16", which seem to correspond to the 10.5mm that you mentioned. Thanks!

I think I have some. How many do you need?

Thanks for the offer, Zickos, but I already ordered some yesterday!

For anyone else interested, I found Gibraltar 10.5mm hinged memory locks at Lonestar Percussion.

GC and Musician's Friend have the same one in sizes from 1/2" (12.7mm) up to 1". (come to think of it, Lonestar might have those sizes too, but I didn't check - I just went there because MF didn't have 10.5mm.)

Until they arrive, I'll be using my backup method, which consists of tape and a Sharpie. Just line up the tape and the marks...
g2EYQBb.jpg

Back