The Heel Toe Thread

Re: triplets with Heel toe ??

Do you have a double bass? Wit a double bass, it should be relatively easy. With a single, like I have, I can make a slow triplet by kicking my heel forward against the back of the pedal and then putting the toe down after two beats. Probably not the best way, though. If anyone else has a better way, please share. :)

Murderdolls172 said:
I 've been have some difficulties with heel toe tring to get out triplets and differnet patterns for heel toe,(Heel Toe Method ).If theres any patterns or such for the heel toe that anybody knowswould really help. Thanks
What do you mean by triplets? The last two notes of sextuplets? (i.e. such as before a snare accent?)

For me, the "heel/toe" method is really Steve Smith's "constant release" technique. I really think it's different things for different people, and it depends on the size of your foot. For me, since I have long feet, it's dropping the heel with the leg (the heel doesn't actually make much contact with the board, but more of the plate at the end... so it's more of a "full foot" stroke) and then playing a heel up stroke with the toes.

You just have to experiment, but it's very important to start SLOWLY... and with the metronome. Once I started to get it, I realized that this is the most exciting thing ever for my feet. It adds so much of a solid and smooth quality to your playing to accent the first note of doubles, triple strokes and even longer phrases of notes.

Josh is a cult said:
i do the same thing you do JWM but i dont think thats technically heel toe..but it works!
=]
Absolutely.

But Tim Waterson seems to describe his heel/toe as a "constant release" thing, even going so far as to say that his entire heel isn't even on the board.

For me, heel/toe is more of a motion than anything.

But it's really a wonderful technique that is expanding the musicality of the bass drum!

maybe a lot of Iron Maiden can help just try to keep up with Nicko and results must show

There seem to be two different "Heel-toe" methods.

One is the Gadd, Steve Smith "constant release " thing.

The other is the heel toe double stroke a la Chris Adler. Tim Waterson seems to do this when he's going for high-speed doubles.

Can anyone shed some more light on this? Are they really two different techniques or are they just variations of the same thing?

yea thanks I've found a way, But yea i think theres a difference between Heel toe and constant release. I think of heel toe more of a rocking motion and constant release dosen't really have a rocking motion. But thanks for all the help

I put together a simple demo video of this a few years back... but can't seem to find it on my PC anymore. Basically... I use heel-pad-toe to produce a triplet pattern. Never bothered to get it very solid (as I didn't use it in a musical context), but it definately had some promise.

Knevildrummer said:
There seem to be two different "Heel-toe" methods.

One is the Gadd, Steve Smith "constant release " thing.

The other is the heel toe double stroke a la Chris Adler. Tim Waterson seems to do this when he's going for high-speed doubles.

Can anyone shed some more light on this? Are they really two different techniques or are they just variations of the same thing?

They are essentially two different techniques... but quite blendable. Personally I don't find much use for the Steve Smith method - although it's cool for single pedal setups. The double stroke method gives much more benefit IMO. Just as the double stroke for your hands makes for more speed than trying to turn that into a continual motion - the heel-toe double stroke for the feet produces more speed (when used with two pedals).

Yeah I can do everything jo jo mayer can do in that little video he has here on drummerworld and I can say that even when using a double pedal my heels are pretty much hitting that bottom. The heel does pretty much all of the work and the toes are just a natural reaction that is actually unnoticebly done.

FloEy said:
Yeah I can do everything jo jo mayer can do in that little video he has here on drummerworld and I can say that even when using a double pedal my heels are pretty much hitting that bottom. The heel does pretty much all of the work and the toes are just a natural reaction that is actually unnoticebly done.
Hey, do you have a video of you doing some heel-toe stuff? Not that I don't belive, just it would be cool to see!

how to do Heel toe for biger feet

Hey everybody
Derek Pope (THe Technique expert ) and I have been talking...OH NO....LOL
we are both getting emails and aparently some drummers are still confused about how to do heel toe if your foot is a bit bigger?
here is a quick clip showing my demonstration hope this helps to clear up the confusion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoPv1oM6vZM

Tim

Re: how to do Heel toe for biger feet

Great stuff, Tim! I hope this will finally clear out all these ''my feet are too big, I can't do the heel-toe!!!!''

This should be a sticky thread

Tim--

Thanks so much for that bro! Really fantastic explanation. Pope's is obviously a really great explanation too, but I got more from yours, especially since you talked a little about Virgil's toe tapping (he seems to really use that for the inverted doubles). I'm feeling a real sense of perspective now about the feet.

Thanks much for your contributions. You're a gift man.

BTW, nice bare foot. Makes me think of that line from Pulp Fiction, "Would you ever consider giving a guy a foot massage?"

Who wouldn't want to massage Tim's feet?

sadly i dont but would I need anyway? Just a camera that can upload things on to the computer? Srry Im not the most knowledgeable on this kind of stuff.

JWM said:
Tim--

Who wouldn't want to massage Tim's feet?

What???!!!??? Maybe you should put this in the "off-topic lounge".

Great but vid as always but can you still do the same thing without an Axis pedal?

Knevildrummer said:
What???!!!??? Maybe you should put this in the "off-topic lounge".
Hey, you're telling me you wouldn't like to touch the world's fastest feet?

try sliding the first two beats and then using your heel on the third beat of the triplet.

I don't use the heel/toe because my foots too big so if this doesn't work I'm sorry.

Back