Nylon Strap vs Chain drive. There is a difference!!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
So I've had my DW9000 single pedal for about 2 years now and in not so typical fashion for me I've had a tendency to want to tinker with my setup and not just my pedal.

So anyway I decided I wanted to give the strap that comes with the pedal a try this morning I've heard it has a little lighter feel to it than the standard double chain drive. Mark my pedal for the footboard angle so I can get the chain in the same position if I switch back and so I can get the strap lined up in the same position I had the chain. Swapped them out hooked it up to my bass.................................

Ummm WOW what a difference! Definitely provides a lighter and dare I say slightly quicker feel. I honestly felt this pedal was butter smooth before but now it's like gliding on ice. First impression after an hour of playing is the strap is staying on, though time will tell.

If you haven't tried a strap drive it might be worth your time to do so ;-)

..it was one MILLION times faster!!!!

j/k

Chain has always been to me, a marketing fad. Other pedals (like Yamaha) used fiberglass straps. They were silent, smooth and playing one, you end up quickly caring less about a chain.

Strap drive pedals are hidden in the shadows now and don't get the due they deserve. It's a classic example of a perfectly good existing technology getting bumped aside by hype.

Yeah I was amazed.

I started off with a squeaky king some 25-26 years ago, went through two of them went with a double pedal due to some right knee problems and wanting to continue to play so I got a 5002 in the mid '80s. Never played anything but chain drive since (all DW's they just felt good compared to others I had tried) I now know what I've been missing. I can't get over the feel and weight difference:-O

To be honest, I cannot tell the difference between chain, strap and direct once I get them adjusted right. I have four pedals and I converted from chain to strap just to not get grease on my hands and clothing during setup and straps seem to stay on the cam better during transport and setup.

Back