My new band collapsed...

Im still scratching my head on this one. The band I formed recently just fell apart in a matter of hours through text messages.
You clearly failed in your duty to introduce wind chimes at an early stage. They're comforting, & bring an air of serenity to the band vibe ;)

Seriously, I'm sorry you had to put time into this, but at least they bailed early, plus you still have the remaining band members who are hopefully cool to work with.

I feel for you. Dealing with the nonsense that musicians can come up with can be torture.

As has been already said here, I think you were lucky to get out when you did. Their notions of honor seem odd.

I'm with eclipse - when people are quick to bail I suspect they weren't very interested anyway.

I organised a meet with a few guys to start a cover band last week and the bass player refused to pay his share of the room cost at the end. He said he's never paid to audition.. but it was the first time any of us had met? No one pulls a stunt like that unless they want to burn bridges.

You're better off getting this out of the way now. Band members need to be easy to work with otherwise you're in for a tough time.
Funny thing is they said the same thing!

You clearly failed in your duty to introduce wind chimes at an early stage. They're comforting, & bring an air of serenity to the band vibe ;)
hahaha, those and a yellow wood block!

Seriously, I'm sorry you had to put time into this, but at least they bailed early, plus you still have the remaining band members who are hopefully cool to work with.
the two remaining are cool with a three piece so we will keep it going for sure. And we get to practice for free now. which in their eyes was going to be a bad thing somehow???

I feel for you. Dealing with the nonsense that musicians can come up with can be torture.

As has been already said here, I think you were lucky to get out when you did. Their notions of honor seem odd.

Still scratching my head about their honor!

Its so nice to be able to vent here, thanks again everyone.

I am soooo tempted to call him and say thanks for wrecking my project but I wont. he is a casual friend of mine to. one of my closest friends is a landscaper, I don't use him and he doesn't care! the singer is a hairdresser by day, am I supposed to start using her?
BTW, thanks for letting me vent about this.

I've been in a similar situation before. It's never worth it to switch anything based on the fact that someone is a friend. My wife asked me a while back if she wanted a friend of ours from our church to start cutting my hair. Absolutely not. What if it sucks? It's also rude to whomever I already have for that. Same thing with a casual acquaintance that was doing investments or something a while back. No thanks, we have a guy for that.

But friendships can be a strong attraction for wanting working together in a band. The sax player in our quartet is a long time friend of the piano player so she wants to help him out by getting him some gigs with us. Most of his gigs are him playing to a backing track. He's supposed to be some famous guy in town, but I really don't get it. No one wants to play with him because he either can't or won't read music and he just simply plays everything the way he's always played it. Plus he's just a cantankerous d-bag. He has an okay sound though, but I wish we could find another player.

Not sure what my point was now. Basically, you're not alone brother. I feel for you.

then when it all goes down the lead guitar guy says " I would rather sacrifice convenience of space if it means keeping a friendship in good standing" ???? Its a cult I tell ya!

hmmmm......i say they are likely romantically involved. for sure. :)

I have been in one band with siblings and one band with a husband/wife and I will never do it again. Having two people that close outside the band almost always makes things difficult inside the band. They almost always rise to the position of leadership due to their votes always being the same.

Think about it
AC/DC
Van Halen
Pantera

I wouldn't mind having played in any of those bands...

I've played together with two of my brothers, in different bands.
We're currently playing as a duo with my younger brother and I'd say it is exactly the opposite of what you were desribing - we never seem to agree on anything with him :D

Not sure what my point was now. Basically, you're not alone brother. I feel for you.

I think the first part of your post sums up the old adage "don't mix business with pleasure." In this case it proved that people are unable to put their personal feelings aside to make an informed business decision. I see this all the time. I have actually pissed off friends because I wont use their business, but I have been burned too many times in the past. Sounds like I can add this to my list of experiences I have either had or heard about that prove this to be correct.

Thanks for all of the support. One last little nugget played out yesterday that I found pretty funny. The studio owner texted me and acted surprised that the band broke up and said he hoped it wasn't the drama about the practice space. I told him it was and he said he thought we were unbreakable. I asked him what he meant and it turns out, the three of them were discussing band names and came up with Unbreakable. HE IS NOT PART OF THE BAND!!!! and that name sucks anyway!! this cult is nuts!

Forgive me for laughing, I can't help it. Sounds as if you've had a narrow escape there - phew!

It's all Reggae Mangles fault, he jinxed you lol. Please don't congratulate me on anything Reggae, I like my bands lol.

:(

"Born under a bad sign/ I was down before I began to crawl..."

"Yeah, I'm a crawling King Snake/ in a room of death..."

"Please allow me to introduce myself/ I'm a man of wealth and taste..."

Oh and also,

"The witch queen/ of New Orleans,,,"

It might just be the medium of communication to blame, The Old Hyde.

The number of times I've been trying to make time with some girl and she freaks out when I text her... Ugh.

Of course, that might just be the people with a duplicate sim of my phone and following me around and GPS and stuff... After I complained to the phone company (again) this month, my bill came down to 1/5th. They must be trying to pacify me...

But messaging seriously sucks. Better to talk, since there's just so much more that a tone of voice can conver than an impersonal message. People might imagine you being happy or sad or angry or perverse or whatever when you message.

"I want to play in our old jampad because we're a cult"

^^ See. If he wrote that, you might think he's joking. But if he said it over the phone, you'd be scared.

The number of times I've been trying to make time with some girl and she freaks out when I text her... Ugh.
Next time wait a while before you start sending her nude pics of yourself.

Next time wait a while before you start sending her nude pics of yourself.

I'd be scared it would wind up on the internet. Who do you think I am? Tucker Max? All we need from good old Tuck now is to see him whipping out his dingus on camera, everything else has been done.

It's not the nude pictures that are the issues, it's the videos on SnapChat. The videos...

I am that girl. I should know.

By now, I realise that even if I pay to get into the private members-only area, I won't get into the "private members-only" area.

Last edited:
Back