HIP HOP

I can't get past the abbreviated terminology. I even use full words when I text people on my phone. And I use the correct words.

Sorry, it's too much of a sub-culture for my tastes. I met Snoop Dogg once, and he was a genuinely nice person, but that's about where my involvement with rap and hip hop ends.

I grew up loving "real" Metal and I also learned to like Hip Hop.

Rap got tired for me though and I like very little Rap after the early 90s.

One thing I dig though is the fact that most big Rap acts use Real Drummers. Good ones.

I am still a Rock drummer but my style is definately influenced by R&B and Hip Hop.

sorry drummerBummer....I can't stand it. If you want to write poetry, write it. If you want to sing and have a voice sing. Mouthing lyrics over a beat box is not music to me. I'm sure it has it's place but not on my stereo equipment, computer, or iPods.

jay z, j dilla, madlib, common bla bla and there are many more...wat dyu guys think of these guys? do y all like hip hop or???
I've heard of Jay Z, but I don't think I've heard anything by him. From what I know about the kind of music he produces, I don't think I would like it.

I do like some hip-hop, acts such as Dälek and Sage Francis for example.

I even use full words when I text people on my phone. And I use the correct words.

Ha! I do the same thing. I like to be understood when I communicate...

I don't really like contemporary rap. I do like old rap, like Run DMC, and intelligent rap (look up MC Lars). I even drummed for a small time rapper at my school once.

I used to really hate hip hop, by then I couldn't help but to appreciate it for how skilled it was in taking control of the music scene and staying put. This is probably due to how much it has effected the culture. I mean, I love jazz, but hip hop has 'won', to say, in being the main music of our time. It is really more of a disease than a genre of music...

I think Madlib is a genius along with Dilla and Doom. Dilla's Donuts album never ceases to become tiring. The Unseen is one of the most interesting albums I've listened to and Madvilliany was just a masterpiece.

One Hip Hop producer who I think is one of the most innovative artists in the music industry today is Flying Lotus - he's not strictly hip hop, but his productions have a strong basis in it and it's one of the most organic and original sounds I've heard to this day.

The internet... where the English language comes to die.

Back on the topic though. I'd say for the last year or so I've completely fallen back into hip hop (Peanut Butter Wolf & Charisma got it kickin'), and have kind of given up on rock music. There are several rock oriented bands that I stay up on and a few a few new ones making a name for themselves, but overall I've been let down the last five years or so. I mean it takes a band 1-3 years to put out an album, all the while you've got rappers who can put out a mixtape of new stuff and bypass all of the nonsense. so just on the basis of productivity, hip hop's got the over rock music in spades. I also feel like it's all been done before. Metal however is thriving, although I'm not too big on metal; the cats can PLAY though.

Rap/Hip Hop is in an interesting position right now. A lot of the major labels are still struggling to get hip to the digital medium (i.e. allowing the word to get out on a project or artist as opposed to suing an artist or producer for sampling something), all the while pushing out garbage artists like the seasons change. The underground is what's good though. Most of those cats have dealt with the industry before and are "noticeably" jaded and in turn going indie. Damon Dash for example, former head of Roc-a-fella has been on point getting like minded artists together to put out some very solid stuff.

Jay-Z specifically, can still put out a chart topper, but album wise I think the cat's doing what most of these rappers do; get a couple of chart topping jams and the rest of the album is a flop. Although the Grey Album was doooooooope!!!

J-Dilla; man one of the greatest and most influential producers. If you don't know about him, chances are the cat that did beat on your favorite track is probably, at the very least, very influenced by him.

Madlib is dope as hell!!!, the cat still records solely analog. He still uses 808s and all of those old samplers and gear. Not to mention a workaholic. Check out Oh No, he's related to Lib in some way.

Artists I've been following (in case you're looking for suggestions):
Producers/Beat Makers: Just Blaze, Ski Beatz (workin' a lot with Dame), Nottz, Damu the Fudgemunk; Salaam Remi; Don Cannon.

Rappers: Stalley; Curren$y, The Cool Kids, Wiz Khalifa, Jay Electronica (seriously, if you're sleepin' on this cat, WAKE UP), Joe Budden, Jean Grae.

And Jazz, it's a movement, not a disease. Stay up bruh.

Oh No is Madlib's younger brother, produced some really incredible stuff much like his brother, yet it's very different to Madlib's stuff. Dr. No's Oxperiment is another brilliant record.

I really like J Dilla stuff, bullshittin' and whatever you want are my two favourite tracks, I randomly heard them in a club. That experience led me onto finding similar styles of music. For instance, Jurrassic 5, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher,

One of my favourite albums is Guru's Jazzmattazz Vol 1.

I like much of hip hop because when a student wants to learn how to play it, I find myself teaching funk.

It's all related.

I like much of hip hop because when a student wants to learn how to play it, I find myself teaching funk.

It's all related.

So many samples come from classic funk and soul recordings, it's no surprise.

As far as Hip Hop in general goes, like every genre, there are artists I truly appreciate and artists I have little respect for.

Like any genre of music, it will speak to some and not others.
If you are under 30 and live in the inner city, you will probably love it.
If you're like me and in my 50's who was raised comfortably in the suburbs, it's annoying.
I need a melody. Rhyming is cool and hard to do, but where's the melody? Not to mention harmony. I like steady grooves, but need something more than that, I need a really great drum part for me to take notice. Plus the lyrics are for a different generation than mine.
Trust me when you're in your 50's your kids will be listening to stuff that doesn't resonate with you in the least, and you too will be seen as closed minded lol.

Like any genre of music, it will speak to some and not others.
If you are under 30 and live in the inner city, you will probably love it.
If you're like me and in my 50's who was raised comfortably in the suburbs, it's annoying.
I need a melody. Rhyming is cool and hard to do, but where's the melody? Not to mention harmony. I like steady grooves, but need something more than that, I need a really great drum part for me to take notice. Plus the lyrics are for a different generation than mine.
Trust me when you're in your 50's your kids will be listening to stuff that doesn't resonate with you in the least, and you too will be seen as closed minded lol.

Yeah that's pretty concise summation. Although, one thing that always bothered me was hearing people talking about how you can't understand what rappers say. And it always reminds of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way" (the original version) released as a single in '77. Now in my opinion, Steven Tyler "singing" on that song is up to par style/rhyme wise as most rappers today. As a matter of fact, if you listen to Run DMC's stuff during their heyday, they had to really step up their skills to match Tyler's ability. I remember seeing an interview with Run DMC talking about the collaboration. And they're sitting there listening to the original version, and they say to each other, "what' all of this fast mumbling going on?". Kind of makes me giggle to myself.

If you're interested, give this a listen. It's from a project that just came out from one of my favorite producers, Ski Beatz. It's got rappers Curren$y and Whosane, along with vocalist Terri Walker. There's a very nice soulful sound to it. You might be surprised.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI4chqAaxNo

I do love hip hop.

Beasties, gangstarr, madlib is good, mf doom is insane, wu, nas, mobb deep, outkast, kool keith, aesop rock, atmosphere, pos, cypress hill, nwa, slick rick, common, blackstarr, mos def, immortal technique, eyedea and abilities....

I like the true storytellers. I don't reaqlly like Jay z, its all about flash and money, its not about immersion into a poetic moment. The music is always pretty good, but I feel Eyedea would have destroyed him in a battle. Eyedea destroyed everybody though.

there is plenty of melody , try gangstarr. Premier uses jazz samples. It is fine if you don't like it, and as far as not understanding what they are saying...are you listening to hip hop in chinese? Some may rap fast, and amybe words slip by you, but they are speaking english, no offense.

I am from the suburbs and loved hip hop from the moment I heard Gangstarr and Tribe.

Sometimes there isnt as much melody as say in Miles Davis song, sure.

POS has massive melody on a lot og his tracks. Atmosphere uses a full band when performing. The legendary Roots crew IS A BAND!

But if its not for you, that's fine.

A disease? Seriously? Billy ray cyrus would be more disease like. Or brittney spears and the product that she is..or any plasticized music

A disease? Seriously? Billy ray cyrus would be more disease like. Or brittney spears and the product that she is..or any plasticized music

I think what the guy was trying to say is this:

Like a virus spreads through our body taking it down and making it virtually inoperable, modern rap and hip hop has spread across the mainstream conciousness and charts with it's "f**k hos, drink crystal, shoot people" ethos (basically, giving kids the thoughts of a life they don't want and make it easy to obtain with little or no talent or work.) and makes society virtually inoperable with text speak, crap music and no message whatsoever.

Back