The legendary Steve Gadd

What I love about Gadd is the unbelievable musicality. It seems as though every note he plays is perfect for the tune. He can drive a band unlike anybody I've heard. He's the hippest drummer, in my opinion. He's hip to everything. He plays every style like it's his favorite. AND he has insane time and unbelievable chops. Chops are second to time in my opinion - the guy's a human metronome. He even tunes his drums better than everyone else, I think. He's found a niche in his sound that seems to fit everything while remaining unmistakably Steve Gadd. I could pick him out anywhere - I made All-State Jazz Band this year and we got CDs with recordings of the charts and, wouldn't you know, one of them was Basically Blues from the Burning for Buddy volume 2 session with none other than Gadd almighty.

in my opinion you cannot teach what Gadd has. Yeah, you can practice all your rudiments and get your reading down and all that but you cannot teach his amazing feel and musicality. You either have it or you don't.

Musicianship cannot be taught; everything must be learned. In my opinion, the idea that some people "just have it" and some don't is incorrect. Rather, some people have taken the time to learn it.

Musicianship cannot be taught; everything must be learned. In my opinion, the idea that some people "just have it" and some don't is incorrect. Rather, some people have taken the time to learn it.

well, I hear what you're saying but I believe even if someone takes the time to learn something and puts in an honest effort they still may not grasp it or communicate it to the degree of someone like Gadd. Maybe that's where the saying "often imitated but never duplicated" comes from. :)

well, I hear what you're saying but I believe even if someone takes the time to learn something and puts in an honest effort they still may not grasp it or communicate it to the degree of someone like Gadd. Maybe that's where the saying "often imitated but never duplicated" comes from. :)

I agree, but I'm sure Steve wasn't born with his knack for divine drumming -- he worked his butt off and played, played and played with a whole bunch of great musicians. Sure, there may be a small genetic factor involved, but again, mastery and musicality are gained through hard work and experience. Nobody's going to sound like Gadd, and Gadd isn't going to sound like anyone else...

...and hooray for that!

i'm on this thread to ask a question, but first.....
i think that gadd is amazing at what he does because he can make something that is simple sound complicated...he himself believes this to be very important in drumming..'simplicity is not stupidity'.....(actually i believe that steve jordan said that but you get my point!)
he can do it all, but chooses not to show it......because it doesnt fit musically

my question is this......in Gadd's dvd 'steve gadd up close'...is it true that he was high for it??
because after watching it there is a compelling arguement for it!...he is much too laid back and in his head,and he gives off quite a strange vibe.....good example..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-jG1wCsZOo&feature=channel

cheers

Yes, he was definitely on "something", this was nothing new to Gadd, as he was heavily into drugs in the 70's and early 80's. He's not proud of it, but thats just the way the scene was in those days.

Tonight on german/french TV ARTE at "one shot not", hosted by
Alice Tumler und Manu Katché: Randy Crawford & Joe Sample & Steva Gadd & Nick Sample....and in HD:)

Yes, he was definitely on "something", this was nothing new to Gadd, as he was heavily into drugs in the 70's and early 80's. He's not proud of it, but thats just the way the scene was in those days.

True that. But the good part is that he's been clean and sober for going on nearly 20 years now.

I'm pretty sure that's how the scene is these days...

I miss the old "Baked out of his mind" Gadd. Somthing about him trying to explain the beats while high just makes me laugh so much. But on the other hand, I'm glad we didn't lose him to substance abuse.

Im going to see him with Eric Clapton in may.

This Sunday Steve played with his Gang (Joey de Francesco - Ronnie Cuber....)
here in Basel Switzerland. Nice pictures from the lobby....no black sticks..

Bernhard

Attachments

• Steve-Gadd2.jpg
    Steve-Gadd2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,911
  • stevegadd300.jpg
    stevegadd300.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 1,309
I was at this concert !

Steve play very well !

But I think he don't make new things since 30 years...

But he's groove is incredible...

Back