Smiley Faces and Angry Posts

tumblr_kweu4mkIqB1qa4ygxo1_500.jpg

THIS-THREAD-IS-NOW-DIAMONDS.jpg

I prefer the ones that add a bit of sarcasm and add a little 8+) at the end. That by the way is my smiley face with my Florida sunglasses on.

I'm totally going to use that.

Isn't it interesting that a site that doesn't allow emoticons has so many emoticons. 8+)

I thought :) was unhappy about having his eyeballs relocated to his chin. :p

I generally avoid emoticons, although I will occasionally use one to express a sincere emotion or after a joke to make sure the person knows it was a joke. I will never use one sarcastically, though, like dropping a smiley at the end of a mean-spirited remark. That just sucks. I really hate the rolleyes emoticon. That should never be used by anyone, anywhere, ever. It's inexcusable and should result in a permanent forum ban. And preferably physical abuse, too.

I will never use one sarcastically, though, like dropping a smiley at the end of a mean-spirited remark.

I don't see that often at all. At times I've seen people do a little teasing ... in which case finishing with a smile is to invite a tease back. Sometimes things that are said are taken more seriously than they are intended. That's the problem in "talking" with strangers using only the written word.

I never give emoticons a thought ... before the web people generally wrote informally to people they knew, so there was enough trust to mean emoticons weren't needed. Emoticons are just something done on the web to allow strangers to communicate more effectively in writing, making up for the lack of facial expressions.

There is a view that emoticons reduce the gravitas of communication and those who use them are dismissed as lightweights. Sure, emoticons don't belong in formal business or academic writing. But to dismiss them in an informal forum is rather pompous and stodgy, don't you think?

If people want to be taken seriously and see emoticons banned then they should be writing detailed and structured posts of at least 1,000 words, with references (using the Harvard system?).

:)

Straight angry...for an smiley face!

Attachments

• metal.jpg
    metal.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 911
  • metallica_metal_up_your_ass.jpg
    metallica_metal_up_your_ass.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 510
I don't see that often at all. At times I've seen people do a little teasing ... in which case finishing with a smile is to invite a tease back. Sometimes things that are said are taken more seriously than they are intended. That's the problem in "talking" with strangers using only the written word.

Yeah, that's the good use of emoticons. A smiley that lets someone know, "I'm just messin' with ya."

But on some of the other message forums I frequent, the rolleyes is definitely used as a passive-aggressive "I'm being a dickwad" device. I just think that's lame. I'd rather be punched in the face than given that treatment. But that's just me.

I never give emoticons a thought ... before the web people generally wrote informally to people they knew, so there was enough trust to mean emoticons weren't needed. Emoticons are just something done on the web to allow strangers to communicate more effectively in writing, making up for the lack of facial expressions.

There is a view that emoticons reduce the gravitas of communication and those who use them are dismissed as lightweights. Sure, emoticons don't belong in formal business or academic writing. But to dismiss them in an informal forum is rather pompous and stodgy, don't you think?

If people want to be taken seriously and see emoticons banned then they should be writing detailed and structured posts of at least 1,000 words, with references (using the Harvard system?).

:)
Very well said there Polyanna.

But on some of the other message forums I frequent, the rolleyes is definitely used as a passive-aggressive "I'm being a dickwad" device. I just think that's lame. I'd rather be punched in the face than given that treatment. But that's just me.

Fair nuff. It ain't exactly a sign of trust or goodwill between people. Personally, I'd MUCH prefer rolled eyes to a punch in the face ... but maybe that's just me :)

Cheers Sticks. The way I see it Knowledge + perceptiveness + trust + goodwill = A good thread.

I must say what gets on my nerves is people who don't use any emoticons but then expect you to know when they're making a joke or being sarcastic. Do they think we're telepathic or something?

I must say what gets on my nerves is people who don't use any emoticons but then expect you to know when they're making a joke or being sarcastic. Do they think we're telepathic or something?

You're not telepathic? I knew that.

Back