Pink Floyd

Frost

Silver Member
Couldn't find a thread on them, come on fans, I know you're out there!

Really interested in knowing of any great bands/forumites that have done covers, there are tons out there, I wouldn't mind finding a few interpretations of classic songs.

Never covered them but I've played Money at jams. Live at Pompeii is magnificent.

They're a hard band to cover because they already sound so great. Someone like Dylan's much easier to cover because the strength of the music is in the writing rather than the playing and production.

As a matter of curiosity, what got you thinking about Floyd?

Listening to them of course, what else :D I'm a big fan of 70's prog, you should see my collection, Masters Apprentices anyone? What about some Camel?

In all serious they are a fantastic band, I'm never interested in covers purely for the sake of doing what has been done for a live audience, I love it when bands take a song and do something new or exciting with it, when they interpret it. Johnny Cash - Hurt (Nine inch nails) one of the greatest covers ever made. Opeth - Soldier of Fortune (Deep Purple) fantastic, fantastic version of the song.

I didn't want to just make this a covers thread though, DW deserves at least one thread devoted purely to Floyd.

Never covered them but I've played Money at jams. Live at Pompeii is magnificent.

They're a hard band to cover because they already sound so great. Someone like Dylan's much easier to cover because the strength of the music is in the writing rather than the playing and production.

Polly, funny you should mention it, I always thought Dylan sounded like somebody was beating a cat with a baby. The only album I can recall where I dug the sounds as much as the lyrics was Desire, Joey is a classic Little Italy piece.

Now for Floyd, they always sounded amazing, what is so cool about Nick Mason is how slow his fills are, they have room and they just feel good to me.

Saw them a few times back in the day, First was Animals. They really did float a house sized pig across Madison Square Garden. Saw the Original Wall Concert too. Had no idea how historical that show was.

I remember one show in NYC, Waters is standing there spewing venom at who knew what and there is a spotlight on him, everything else is dark. He launches into an attack on Unions and threw the BS flag that the lighting guys had to be Union and not his own crew.

To his credit, the Lighting Guy didn't switch off the Spotlight. That would have been interesting. He also stopped a song to curse out whoever through the Firecracker during a solo. Just stopped the show cold and called the person a STUPID M' F'er. He actually scared the crap out of the crowd of 25K.

Both great shows and a great band.

Love the The Floyd.

Wish You Were Here is my favorite album. I never get tired of it.

It's nice the Rodger and David have somewhat made up. It's a real shame Richard died, preventing a full on reunion.

Now I feel the urge to go put on Animals, but my kid is watching Mickey Mouse right now.

Colonel Les Claypool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade - Live Frogs Set 1 has a decent cover of "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". Also included is a cover of "Thela Hun Ginjeet" (from King Crimson's "Disipline" album), plus a bunch of Claypool/Primus/Sausage songs.

Speaking of Opeth covers... Their cover of AiCs "Would?" is great (easily my fav AiC song), its pretty straightforward and faithful to the original but good nonetheless. Also, their cover of Robin Trower's "Bridge of Sighs" is great (it got me to check out Trower). Oh and they also have an Iron Maiden cover, Remember Tomorrow, good too...

They're all pretty straightforward tho, I'd love to see them cover something and put their spin on it. Kinda like Carcass's remix of the Bjork song "Isobel", or APC's mashup of Love Song (The Cure) and Diary of a Madman (Ozzy).

Nice covers but the challenge is to make a cover original, as when The Byrds covered Tambourine Man and started a new genre, folk rock.

If Comfortably Numb could be read as an indictment of the music industry and its spoon feeding mindless music to the huddle mass, clubbing them to death and laying them on the dirty boulevard, esp the Bee Gees, then this is an interesting cover because its a Bee Gees laced version that celebrates drug use in club life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbVE-R1_Izo

i simply love them!
specially echoes, what a masterpiece!
you should consider buying the solo live albums form roger waters and david gilmour (gilmour's solo stuff is great too)

Nice covers but the challenge is to make a cover original, as when The Byrds covered Tambourine Man and started a new genre, folk rock.

If Comfortably Numb could be read as an indictment of the music industry and its spoon feeding mindless music to the huddle mass, clubbing them to death and laying them on the dirty boulevard, esp the Bee Gees, then this is an interesting cover because its a Bee Gees laced version that celebrates drug use in club life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbVE-R1_Izo

I dunno, Ken, that was kind of disturbing.
Although it was interesting touch to incorporate the into from "Young Lust" into it.

I may have spent too much time listening to countertenors. There was a point where I was really into early church music.

You think this is disturbing. There is a recording called The Last Castrato that came out on cd in the early 1990s. There was also a movie. It is a recording of the last known castrato that was recorded in the early 20th century when he was in his 60s. It only took me about 2 seconds to be forever scarred after listening to that.

Last edited:
I may have spent too much time listening to countertenors. There was a point where I was really into early church music.

You think this is disturbing. There is a recording called The Last Castrato that came out on cd in the early 1990s. There was also a movie. It is a recording of the last known castrato that was recorded in the early 20th century when he was in his 60s. It only took me about 2 seconds to be forever scared after listening to that.

I think Rowan London (an operatic tenor that death growls) whispering with some really bizarre intonation "Walk without limbs right through my soul" over and over live is one of the more terrifying musical experiences I've had. That and Atilla of Black Metal band Mayhem doing Gregorian chants and throat singing over >10bpm music in a Grimm robe, surrounded by fog with wall to ceiling of amplifiers rattling every bone in the body.

Meddle, animals, umma gumma(live album), really anything.

Floyd is one of the best bands to ever exist. Are they jazz? Are the y rock? Experimental?

No they are themselves. They all have amazing tone, and NEVER overplay. Paiste 18 inch 2002 ride on dark side!

Their lyrics, they all expansiveness of the experience of floyd

Back