Looking for a longer stick.

I am looking for a longer stick but not finding any luck. I am playing a Promark 747 right now, which is longer than your average stick, but i am looking for something with a little more length because i have short arms. Any suggestions?

There's also the Vater Stretch 7a, a bit thinner than the Promark but it's over 16". I'm sure there are other models out there too.

Edit: Looking through Regal Tip and Vic Firth's charts, there are a couple of models over 16" and around the same diameter as the Promark 747 (which is .551):
(sorted by diameter)
VF Extreme 8D: 0.540" d, 16.5" l
RT Chester Thompson: 0.550" d, 17" l
VF Stanton Moore and Terry Bozzio: 0.550" d, 16.25" l
RT Anarchy X: 0.555" d, 16.5" l
VF Zoro: 0.555" d, 16.375" l (i used to play these. loved 'em.)

All have wood tips, though of course taper & tip shape vary between them. Hopefully that helps.

Last edited:
Promark 747 is essentially a 5A with .25 extra inches. Go for a stretch 5A for starters, like the Vic Firth X5A.

Steve Jordan's VF signature stick is pretty long. I think it's 17".

I was also looking for a longer stick and wound up loving these. They are thin though, definitely not a stick for hyper aggressive music. The other nice thing is that the tips are pretty standard wood tips...seemed like a lot of longer sticks had strange tips.

I've been using the Zildjian Dave Grohl Artist Series Drumstick for certain gigs. They are 16 3/4" long but they also have a really nice balance to them, (I'm using wood tip). A couple of other drummers really noticed this when they picked one up at various gigs. They all seemed to like them too.

These should work:

https://shopping.yahoo.com/27944906-promark-gnt-giant-wooden-drumsticks/

27944906_640.jpg

Just FYI, Vic 5As are .565" diameter, while Pro-Mark 5As are .551". Weird difference, but as someone who would notice that delta, I feel obligated to point it out.

Yes, and the Regal Tip 5AX is .580 and 16-1/2" long. That makes it even more weird.

Yes, and the Regal Tip 5AX is .580 and 16-1/2" long. That makes it even more weird.

I actually posted about this in a different thread, too:

As for the stick sizes, those terms are so broken and misleading it befuddles me. Just look at the spread in 5A diameters you have from four major stick manufacturers: Vic's are .565, Pro-Mark's are .551, Vater's are .570, and Regal Tip's are .580. Pro-Mark's 5Bs are .590- they're actually closer to a Regal Tip 5A than that same RT5A is to Pro-Mark's 5A. None of the designations are standardized, every company has their own special ones that don't make any sense, and it's all a huge cluster. The only actual order seems to be a very general one of higher numbers indicating smaller diameter, which, like... what? Even bra sizes make more sense than this stuff.

I actually posted about this in a different thread, too:

As for the stick sizes, those terms are so broken and misleading it befuddles me. Just look at the spread in 5A diameters you have from four major stick manufacturers: Vic's are .565, Pro-Mark's are .551, Vater's are .570, and Regal Tip's are .580. Pro-Mark's 5Bs are .590- they're actually closer to a Regal Tip 5A than that same RT5A is to Pro-Mark's 5A. None of the designations are standardized, every company has their own special ones that don't make any sense, and it's all a huge cluster. The only actual order seems to be a very general one of higher numbers indicating smaller diameter, which, like... what? Even bra sizes make more sense than this stuff.
That's actually why we launched the Promark Select Balance series. Rather than focusing on labels that have no quantitative meaning, we chose the 5 most popular diameters of drumsticks and designed a system around them to offer two different feels based on balance. More details here, if you're interested: http://www.promark.com/selectbalance.page

That's actually why we launched the Promark Select Balance series. Rather than focusing on labels that have no quantitative meaning, we chose the 5 most popular diameters of drumsticks and designed a system around them to offer two different feels based on balance. More details here, if you're interested: http://www.promark.com/selectbalance.page

Great idea, but they are not longer like the sticks mentioned in this thread, and they do not come with nylon tips either.

Oh, I'm very aware- I was in Project 151. Still have both pairs of 5Bs, they are really great stuff. Nice that they are clearly marked with diameter on the package.

Back