Travis Barker

shuffle said:
This is a very good example of why I am not usually into drum solos.

To me that all depends upon WHO's doin the solo....

Anywayz Travis is an alright drummer BUT - hmmm it pays to be popular I guess....I'll just leave it at that....Dude has got some serious space between the snare and the top of his hi-hats...personally I like no more than about 6 inches of space.....

i can see why some people dont like him but they dont search for stuff about him and his music style he is really good a technical beats because he is primarily a hip hop style drummer and actually just cuz he isnt the fastest drummer in the world doesnt mean he isnt faster than every single person in this forum ... well thats all i have to say

Hey eddrummer, if you read the previous posts, you'll see most of our contempt is aimed at comments like yours....who cares how famous someone is? It doesn't mean squat about your skill.

Paris Hilton is famous, and for what again? Oh yeah, famous because she's popular. Why is she popular? Oh yeah, because she's rich and famous..

See, it gets us nowhere saying how much fame or money someone has when we are talking about DRUMMERS on a DRUM FORUM.

Yeah, and half of these responses are to people who get off topic (like me right now).

Personally, I think Travis Barker is the only really talented member of Blink 182; they don't interest me much, and Travis seems to be lightyears away from the rest of Blink 182. (I'm off topic again........)

Can anyone agree that Travis Barker is a relatively good drummer who happens to receive a little too much attention for his drumming? I can.

- Marc

tambian89 said:
Can anyone agree that Travis Barker is a relatively good drummer who happens to receive a little too much attention for his drumming? I can.
Yes I agree.I think he does exactly what he needs to do for the band he is in and he does it well.

russcat said:
Yes I agree.I think he does exactly what he needs to do for the band he is in and he does it well.

Damn straight? Why the controversy? I'll never know.........This thread may never end.

- Marc

T-1000 said:
Funny everyone says how people will eventually grow out of Travis when they hear all the old jazz greats. When I first started drumming, I really wanted to be awed by the 'best' drummer, so I checked out Buddy Rich's solo's, of course. Although initially the sheer speed was impressive, the effect wore off quickly, because speed can only do so much, but then I saw Travis's solo's, and they were played with energy and agression, and it did it for me. I still haven't got bored of Travis's playing...

couldn't have said it better myself. i LOVE his energy and passion. and, I do enjoy listening to blink 182's music. for bands, it's not necessarily always about playing the hardest stuff possible to be "good". at least, not in my opinion.

dLesage said:
couldn't have said it better myself. i LOVE his energy and passion. and, I do enjoy listening to blink 182's music. for bands, it's not necessarily always about playing the hardest stuff possible to be "good". at least, not in my opinion.

i agree with both of you... it seems to people when you say you like travis everyones like "you must be new to drumming" or "go check out some real drummers" .. well i have, and ive liked travis well before he got famous and all these tv shows..and ive been playing drums for years and ive checked all the greats, and i still choose travis as my fav.. hes got passion and energy, speed, and originalliy.

First of all, all of you who degrade Travis in anyway make me sick. I can see how you think he is a drugged out, stuck up celebrity, but that is not him. All of you who just watch his television show and listen to Take Off Your Pants and Jacket most likely think he is a jerk who isn't very good. If you were fortunate to see him at this years Guitar Center's Drum off 2006, you would have been impressed. For one, he played maybe 1 or two fills that were fast. His other work was comprised of medium-tempoed, irregular patterns played on a simple set up: snare, hi-hat, two crashes, floor tom, cowbell, and a picolo tom. He played very impressive off- beat rhythms with the cowbell and the simple set up. Ten minutes later, he moved off the drum set onto a marching snare and did a twenty minute snare duet with Adrian young (No Doubt) compirsed off very fast sixteenth and thirty second notes filled with flams in the most unique and complicated ways, along with odd metered measures with some challenging rolls.

Moreover, my point is that drumming is an art; not a competition. Yes, bands compete for money,fame, etc, but when you are discussing an art, like drumming, you do not critisize. When you take it to that extent, you take out the fun of the art. If you ask 1,000 drummers to play the same beat, you will hear 1,000 different versions of the beat. Just because Travis doesn't play like Gadd, doesn't mean you have to say "OMG i hate travis barker because he plays all fast." For one, he doesn't play "all fast," for you completely ignorant people out there. His technique is quite fulfilled, as he uses the Moeller technique quite well. Better yet, he idolizes drummers like Gadd. Secondly, for all of you who think his "technique is horrible" (i.e., reaching off his seat to his toms, hitting too hard, etc.) you are quite mistaken. The reason he comes off his seat is for emotional reasons; it is proof he loves to play the drums ( an art, not a competition remember?). And, oh yeah, who ever said that Gadd and Rich ( I'm not critisizing these two, I idolize them both) play rudiments with feel rather than just as a "rudiment," and who said Travis has horrible technique because he "comes off his seat," you are contradicting yourself my friend. He comes off the seat, as I previously said, for emotional reasons, and feel. As Charles Dowd said, "drumming is what you make it," and Travis resembles that quote pretty good. For those who critisized Travis on the video where he is playing the military-like snare rolls, give me a break. Do you think he was playing in front of Gadd or in a drum off crowd of 5,000 people? Please, it was in front of Mark Hoppus; he was fooling around and he probably didn't even know he was being filmed. He was not playing to his full extent obviously.

Moreover, for those of you who think I'm "completely obssessed" with Travis are extremely wrong. Yes, I idolize him, along with Danny Carey, Virgil Donati, Gadd, and hundreds of others. The reason I wrote so much was because I was so sick and tired of you guys ragging on an extremely talented drummer based on albums like 'Enema of the State." If you ever take the time to listen to a Box Car Racer cd, that is where Travis plays more technically challenged songs compared to songs like "Man Overboard." And again, if you think Travis is "overrated and horrible," please, give me a break; Why is he going to add a thirty second note parididdle-type fill with accents in odd places in a studio song? Travis plays to fit the music, and he does it very well. If you want to see Travis play his drums, check him out at a drum off, or a concert maybe- not a CD or old screw around video that was put out 3-10 years ago.

If you are going to reply to this with cussing and by degrading me in any way, please save your time. I'm not bashing on any of you at all, I'm just giving my opinion on a very talented drummer that is apart of a world of great drummers. However, if you plan on critisizing what I said in any negative way, I feel sorry for you because you have taken the fun out of the art of drumming.

DWDrummer said:
First of all, all of you who degrade Travis in anyway make me sick... if you plan on critisizing what I said in any negative way, I feel sorry for you ...
Welcome to the forum. Please check your attitude. Thanks.

Sorry for the rudeness, that came out wrong. Believe me I'm not trying to degrade anyones opinion, but it bugs me when people make a negative opinion about Travis just after seeing him play a song like "Man Overboard."

i don't like him at all, but it's mostly because of the music. not necessairly his playing. it's hard to sit through those songs, lol.

DWDrummer said:
As Charles Dowd said, "drumming is what you make it,"

Moreover, for those of you who think I'm "completely obssessed" with Travis are extremely wrong. Yes, I idolize him,

I think I may be the only one who knows who you are talking about here.

I can assure you that Dr. Dowd despises Travis Barker type drummers. I know, because I used to be one, and I really got the stink eye from him for it.

And am I the only one who thinks "completely obsessed" and "idolize" are kinda the same thing?

Stu_Strib-

You have a good point.

When I said obsession, I was referring to as if I only listened to Travis.

With idolizing, I meant I respect what he is doing and see it as an inspiration...

As far as Charles Dowd, not liking Travis's "type," please elaborate if you could.

Thanks.

DWDrummer said:
Stu_Strib-

You have a good point.

When I said obsession, I was referring to as if I only listened to Travis.

With idolizing, I meant I respect what he is doing and see it as an inspiration...

As far as Charles Dowd, not liking Travis's "type," please elaborate if you could.

Thanks.

Are you talking about Charles Dowd, who wrote Funky Primer and teaches at the Universty of Oregon? If so, then yeah, I knew him fairly well, and he is a rather elite style drummer. He doesn't have much time or patience with pop rock musicians.

Yes, I am. Thanks for the reply. I would like to talk to you one on one about this if you have time; send me a message if you want to. Thanks again.

Sure, I pm'd you. I don't think invoking Charles Dowd will earn you much credit on this board though, since not too many people know who he is.

~stu

Okay thanks, I replied.

This question I would like to be answered by the experienced Adminstrators rather than one sided musicians. In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?

DWDrummer said:
This question I would like to be answered by the experienced Adminstrators rather than one sided musicians. In the Funky Primer by Charles Dowd, he stresses the importance of musicianship. He explains that musicianship is the respect by a musician towards all branches of music (jazz,rock.etc). If people like Dowd despise Travis Barker type drummers, then isn't he contradicting his stressing of the importance of musicianship by hating pop rock?
It's hard to answer that question based on a paraphrase of his original statement. If I could read the actual quote, taken in the original context, then I would be happy to give you my impression of whether or not he was contradicting himself.

DW, I would like to point out that this conversation is getting off topic. The purpose of this section of the forum is to discuss specific drummers, and the purpose of this thread is to discuss Travis Barker. If you'd like to PM someone, there's no need to mention it here, and if you'd like to start a discussion about a new subject, please feel free to start a new thread in the proper forum section. Thanks.

Back