Twitter?

I'm not on there, but i will go on and check out what the celbs are up to every now and then if I am bored out of my mind.

For myself, I don't have any use for it. I'm busy enough with things in my own life and don't have time for yet another channel for distractions. I have face book, but only log on maybe once a month. For professional connections, I use linkedIn, where discussions are meaningful and networking is very productive. Everyone behaves because your reputation could be damaged if you engage in certain types of behavior.

You have to keep in mind there are producers of content and consumers of that content. For a business, it makes sense to use twitter because its a fairly cheap way to reach more customers; no need to manage or lease a server farm for electronic correspondence. If it generates revenue, great. It can also serve as a sales loss lead for future generated revenue. As for movie/sports stars and their ilk, I think they have the free time for the mundane communication.

Many people I hear of using twitter to "find good deals" end up buying things they would not have bought otherwise; meaning they are actually wasting money, not saving it.

Can't spell Twitter without twit. Seriously though, I've never understood the reason for it. Maybe if you're some kind of movie-star or a famous band, but for more regular folks, you can always use Facebook or other social medias.
Never understood the fascination with people writing "Going to the toilet" and the people following. Maybe I'm just not star-struck enough..

Everything is relevant to someone. I maintain dozens of Twitter accounts for businesses. If one of them sold or manufactured toilets, you can be sure I would be monitoring conversations about toilets, what people wanted out of toilets, what is the best toilet, who is buying a new toilet, who broke one, etc.

Imagine the ability to hover over millions of conversations and instantly sift through ones that were of interest to you personally, creatively or professionally. If you know how to use it, and care to use it, Twitter opens up thousands of conversations of interest.

Once, someone told me, "I went onto Twitter and someone was just talking about the burrito they just ate. Who needs to know that?" If you own a burrito stand or Mexican restaurant, you definitely want to know what people in your town are saying about burritos, where they are eating them, and how you can get them to eat your burritos.

Everything is relevant to someone.

Yes, that demonstrates my point. For the taco stand operator, it makes sense for him to be monitoring those conversations. But why would I, or any one else for that matter, take time out of my schedule and write about a burrito I ate. I have more important things to do. So its sensible for those building a revenue stream; not so sensible for the other chatters.

I think if you were able to see a breakdown of the twitter population, you would see it's used by business owners on one hand, and people with lots of free time on the other.

On another note, I surprised Twitter wasn't sued by TWIT (This Week In Tech), since they were around some time before Twitter.

DED - I love that, "Everything is relevant to someone." So very true!

playItLikeThis - I basically agree with you, Twitter is a great way to waste time if you don't limit yourself and direct your usage. I like what you said about most Twitter users being either businesses or people with extra time!

LOL, I fell like I weirdo. I'm 22 yo and I've literally never used Twitter. Of course I know what it is and how it works, but I don't know, somehow it never caught my attention.

Anyway, with facebook, drum forums, car forums and youtube I feel guilty enough.. thank God I don't use another time-consuming app..

If only all the time I spent on the web I'd spend it practicing on my kit, I'd be a whole new drummer by now. :/

Cheers

I think if you were able to see a breakdown of the twitter population, you would see it's used by business owners on one hand, and people with lots of free time on the other.

In prosperous, secure societies, most people do indeed have plenty of free time. Some use it to tell their friends what they ate/who they dated/what they are listening to/where they are at/the political assassination they just witnessed. Others may use it to talk drums on a specialty discussion board. Whether that is a waste of time is entirely up to the person taking the time.

On another note, I surprised Twitter wasn't sued by TWIT (This Week In Tech), since they were around some time before Twitter.

It is a little surprising. However, I think it'd be safe to say that more people are aware of "Twitter" than "TWiT". It probably made more sense to let Twitter keep doing their thing, and in the event of someone running a search it might pull a link or two to the TWiT website or some of their articles. Essentially inadvertently getting more traffic TWiT's way.

Although over the weekend Twitter made a stink about a couple of other twitter clients that have mobile apps. I think it was Uber Media's "UberTwitter" and "TwitDroyd". From what I can tell it was all about the use of the letters "Twit". You've got several others like Tweetcaster, TweetDeck, Twicca, Plume (which used to be Touiteur, but a lawsuit was filed because it sounded too much like "Twitter") etc. that didn't have any issues. Ultimately, a few days later, Uber media changed their app to "Uber Social" and everything's back to the way it was several days ago. I blame lawyers.

It's not a problem because Leo Laporte, who runs TWIT, doesn't have time for such foolishness and because TWIT is an anagram and Twitter is a word. The message itself is called a tweet.

It's not a problem because Leo Laporte, who runs TWIT, doesn't have time for such foolishness and because TWIT is an anagram and Twitter is a word. The message itself is called a tweet.

LaPorte also thinks Facebook is dumb and announced he has cancelled his Facebook account.

Boy, that fellow is sure on the cutting edge, alright! He's good for nuts and bolts and hardware and gadget questions. As far as using these new tools of social media, LaPorte has his head stuck deeply in the sand ... or somewhere else.

Back