Drum rack or not?

I do have a carpet, but it's 2 feet by 3 feet to conserve space. It's one of those olefin rubber back/nappy top carpets used in public buildings. It barely holds the hihat stand, who percussion pedals and bass pedal in place. I have tape markings on the carpet at home, however.

That is the one problem in my system, accurate stand placement. Having so few stands means I have less to align, but on the other hand, if just one stand is out of alignment, all the toms and cymbals on it are also out of alignment!

Makes sense. The only adjustments I sometimes have to do is either with the rack-legs to accomodate a drum riser or the actual windage of the side-arms because of a small amount of play in the memory locks. That distance multiplied by a couple feet makes for a couple inches difference at the end of an side arm. Enough to notice when your floor tom or hi-hat is a little too close or far.

I love my gilbrater v-rack at home....BUT for gigs I strip down my 6 pc to a 4 pc and just take some stands that hold a tom and a crash, one for the ride and tom, and then one for the other crash.

Looks good!
Nice rack too I think I'm going to buy same setup
so long side extension for floortoms and ride and short one for the hi hat side.
I think I'm going for gibraltar because I like the round tubing and Gibraltar is sold in Holland too.

My rack at the momenbt:

373157205_6_aePJ.jpeg

373177817_6_r5mx.jpeg

373180201_6_PR6i.jpeg

I starded with a standard 5 piece kit. Then build it bigger with extra's untill I needed a rack for traveling. It became the pearl icon rack. This rack was (and is) very sturdy. Only downside was the blocked shape, ut quick to setup and good to travel with in a hardcase. After that Ive got back to stands. But because they where the 900 series stands, they where very heavy to carry around (though still easier to travel and to set up differently one in a while)

305647628.jpg

And now im back to the rack (Hex Rack) and the rack was out last weekend and it was uite an experience...

To travel I had a hardware caddy from rockbag... That was not enough... luckyly I had a hihatstand bag from Yammie so I could tak the feet of the legs to. And it was quite heavy with all the boom arms (8) tom holders (5) hihat stand/closed hh (2) and the rack itself with clamps (13, not including any spd-s holder, sub holder etc.) offcourse.

My conclusion: Both.

The rack if needed for bigger setups (and so, bigger events?) stands for small setups (and smaller events and quicker setup time)

Quicker setup time? Yes. Last weekend it took me (offcourse all numbered, marked etc.) +/-30 min. to setup (from getting it out of the boxes to the moment it stands) If you're playing on a festival and want to play on you're own kit this is to much time (ok, you could set it up back-stage, but there's not always time or possibility to do that) And with stands marked and placed on a marked carpet (im still using that system with my rack) you can be done in 15 minutes.

So thats why I prefer both.

Back