Breaking sticks

Re: anybody hit this hard?

How is the weight balanced? With wood it's the same material the whole way through, so the shape determines it's balance. With a metal shaft and light carbon fibre tip I get the impression it wouldn't have much momentum to it. Oh wait you said "sleeve". So is it metal all the way to the tip, with carbon fibre making up the tip and covering the shoulder? Then maybe the feel is similar to a nylon tipped stick. sorry i'm thinking aloud

Yeah the tip is nylon....you pull it off to remove the carbon sleeve...underneath is a metal rod. You replace the sleeve then replace the tip.

I found them more bottom heavy...slighty weird to play with. But I had been using wood sticks for near on 10 years so maybe thats why!

I've been drumming for three years and have not broken a stick yet...even when I used 7A's. All my sticks have is slight chips and some dents. I'm just not a hard hitter.

I love breaking sticks... I'm a metal drummer mostly and once I learned how to hit hard I break them often. I use VF Rock sticks. Nice thick piece of wood. They break in different spots each time, but usually where the rim shot is played. I like playing with a stick untill it breaks to practice grabbing a new one while playing. That is the real art. I had one show where I broke like 5 sticks. I was sick at this gig so I was a little pissed. Snots running down my nose the whole time and just working hard. It was fun in retrospect but I'm not a fan of playing sick.

Re: Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

drumbig said:
After a few months? Dude I throw away sticks before they break and I certainly changed my sleves weekly. And yes they can destroy heads too, when the nylon tip breaks off and you don't realize it in the middle of a song at a gig. Yeah it sucks when that happens.

I call this misfortune.I play with mine since an half-year,and I didn't change the sleeve one time in the past.
Yeah,that's right.But I mean that they don't destroy heads faster than any other nylon tip stick ;-)

I've broken many a Vater Los Angeles-5A like that. They are great sticks, though.

PS. Jason you used your velvet jacket to frame your broken stick ahahaha!

as a testament to vic firth sticks i was playing "the ocean" by zep, laying into the rimshots the way any true bonham fan would then i notice the right stick feeling a bit weird. played the song through then stopped to check it out.
At the rimshot point it looked like someone took a bite out of the stick but i could still play it. was kinda funny to look at, have no digi camera but will try and get a pic up.
was thinking we should setup a "boneyard" section in your place for pics of everyones busted gear (cymbals, skins, sticks etc.) might be kinda fun. probly not tho. meh

i hit hard but i always thought that if you do a incredably powerful rim shot you could run the risk of damaging your drum hoops... ? is this not the case and i shoudl bang the hell out of the hoops? i cought a travis barker stick at warped tour after he played one song with transplants and that stick went through hell...

At Kosa Percussion Camp in Vermont, Kenny Aronoff told a story of when he was on tour and actually broke the steel rim of his snare drum by hitting so hard! Man is he loud!

Re: Best Sticks For Powerful Drumming?

Get the Vic Firth American Classic Metal N sticks. The ones with a red tip. They're like an inch longer than other sticks and have a powerful rock sound. Kinda like a step up from 2B.

Why do i keep breaking sticks

whats up guys,
to explain my problem, i play a wide range of music. mostly now i have been playin a lot of metal/punk kinda thing. I have a problem of breakin sticks within like 10 minutes of playing. Some people say i play to hard, but thats rediculous, i beleive playing hard is the best way to go. But do any of you have any suggestions on which sticks would be best.
(also, id rather go with skinnier sticks than bulky ones, they feel better and i play better single rolls with them)

Sean

Re: Why do i keep breaking sticks

Pay attention to how you are hitting your cymbals. When I first began playing many moons ago I would go through sticks just like you until I started paying attention to how I struck the cymbals and drums. It's easy to get carried away, but you might want to soften it up a bit and focus on good technique.

Maybe you really ARE playing too loudly. I would bet that is your problem.

Playing very hard with thin sticks will most likely result in broken sticks.
I know you don't like to use thicker sticks, but maybe you should consider it.
BTW what are you playing right now, 7A's?

Back