Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive... I'm a believer!

konaboy

Pioneer Member
Wow just got the pedal in today, I ordered it for the kit I ordered for the church. Never had a chance to try one out but after reading all the positive on here about them I thought I'd give it a go Just hooked it up to my kit at home and WOW!! Quick, Light, fast. I usually use a DW9000 had it for a few years now. How do I tell my wife who bought me the 9000 because I was drooling over it I think I found a pedal I like better?? (gulp) and that's just after 15 minutes of playing!

if you are looking for a new pedal I really suggest checking these out!

I'm glad you posted this. I don't mean to hijack your thread but, I bought one about a month ago and I'm still not sure if it's for me. I got the old model that was a demo in the shop. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.
First off; it's a really nice piece of gear, it's Yamaha quality and it's as smooth as butter.
My problem is, I find it kinda light when the beater is played close to the head - lacking some power compared to my Iron Cobra.
Have you had any issues after playing it for awhile? Anybody else?

Where are you guys getting these? The new generation pedals are supposedly not built as well. I have the 9310 chain drive Dragons, great pedal. I'm looking for the direct drive one to try.

Wow just got the pedal in today .... I usually use a DW9000 had it for a few years now.
I thought the same thing, the Yamaha was much more my cup-o-tea than the DW.
How do I tell my wife who bought me the 9000 because I was drooling over it I think I found a pedal I like better??
Just drool over the wife, never mention the pedal...

I'm glad you posted this. I don't mean to hijack your thread but, I bought one about a month ago and I'm still not sure if it's for me. I got the old model that was a demo in the shop. It was such a good deal I couldn't pass it up.
First off; it's a really nice piece of gear, it's Yamaha quality and it's as smooth as butter.
My problem is, I find it kinda light when the beater is played close to the head - lacking some power compared to my Iron Cobra.
Have you had any issues after playing it for awhile? Anybody else?

It definitely feels lighter than the cobra or dw both of those tend to be heavier pedals. Have you tried different beaters in the yamaha. Also have you made any adjustments to the beater angle or footboard angle?

It definitely feels lighter than the cobra or dw both of those tend to be heavier pedals. Have you tried different beaters in the yamaha. Also have you made any adjustments to the beater angle or footboard angle?

As for the adjustments, I think I have that down. It took a while but it seems to be working for my mostly heal down and on the floor. I play w/the ball of my foot half way up the pedal board w/my heal on the floor.
As for the beaters, I think a heavier one will do the trick. I've got a Vater Bomber beater for practice and that one just doesn't work - way to light. I'm going to add a weight to my different felt beaters and see how that goes.
Come to think of it, my beater hits a little lower most pedals because I play an 18" & a 20" bass drum. This probably has something to do w/the weight feel.

As for the adjustments, I think I have that down. It took a while but it seems to be working for my mostly heal down and on the floor. I play w/the ball of my foot half way up the pedal board w/my heal on the floor.
As for the beaters, I think a heavier one will do the trick. I've got a Vater Bomber beater for practice and that one just doesn't work - way to light. I'm going to add a weight to my different felt beaters and see how that goes.
Come to think of it, my beater hits a little lower most pedals because I play an 18" & a 20" bass drum. This probably has something to do w/the weight feel.

yeah an 18 and 20 will definitely feel different than a 22 because the beater is not extended out.

Going to put in some more time on it today :) Practicing for a rehearsal tomorrow night and a church musical I'm playing in.

Where are you guys getting these? The new generation pedals are supposedly not built as well. I have the 9310 chain drive Dragons, great pedal. I'm looking for the direct drive one to try.

Sorry I missed your question earlier. There should be a few of the old models sitting around the bigger shops since they changed the design. There was a chain drive sitting next to the DD I bought.

Konaboy, Adding weight to the beater arm did the trick! Yup, great pedal.

Sorry I missed your question earlier. There should be a few of the old models sitting around the bigger shops since they changed the design. There was a chain drive sitting next to the DD I bought.

Konaboy, Adding weight to the beater arm did the trick! Yup, great pedal.

Very cool.Glad that worked!

yeah I posted a link to the place I just got mine a few responses up. $95 new in box :)

I am a believer too ^^

I bought it 2 months ago and love it! Paid 320 bucks for the double, it's a total underrated pedal imho.

I hope Yamaha will offer a longboard soon, I would love to have one.

They have a longboard out, the 8500c. It's only available in chain drive for some reason. Which makes no sense to me. The new pedal lineup looks a lot cheaper than the Dragons. They are also made in China now, no more of the "made in the motorcycle factory" schtick. They got rid of the quick release clamp. The doubles dont convert into 2 singles anymore, except for the 8500c.

I'm sure the new pedals are great, but they got rid of the features that made the Dragons so great.

They have a longboard out, the 8500c. It's only available in chain drive for some reason. Which makes no sense to me. The new pedal lineup looks a lot cheaper than the Dragons. They are also made in China now, no more of the "made in the motorcycle factory" schtick. They got rid of the quick release clamp. The doubles dont convert into 2 singles anymore, except for the 8500c.

I'm sure the new pedals are great, but they got rid of the features that made the Dragons so great.

I've owned them both (new and old models)..personally, I like the new ones better...just wish the direct drives were longboard like the 8500..which I still may get one of those...as far as cheaper looks go...I don't think the new ones look cheaper...and I definitely like the new bass drum clamp better...didn't care for the quick release clamp...mine always had a tendency to pop loose....and I believe you can still convert the new doubles to singles...

Last edited:
Back