Here's an observation nobody here wants to hear ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I came to a realization last night as I was changing my front bass drum head to look like Charlie Watt's kit: Does anyone realize, that he bought that ONE kit, and he's been playing it with the Stones for over 40 years now?

Talk about making a profit off of one tool.

That kit is so famous (like Ringo's) that people make replicas of it. Charlie's story behind the kit was that he bought it in the 70s after using it for a recording session in Los Angeles, and he's been using that one ever since with the Rolling Stones. Yes, he has others, and has been pictured with others, but if you believe his story, he actually bought his favorite set of Gretsch drums, and he's been using them all this time. And they were used to begin with!

(I wonder if Gretsch ever offered him a new version of his beloved kit? He probably turned it down.)

Contrast this with myself (among others here) who at the very least have a revolving door of drum sets coming in and out of the house, seeking out a meager living playing those kits. And here's Charlie, probably a millionaire several times over, making money off of his one kit. Even people who think every few years is a good time to upgrade can't escape the shame of the Rolling Stone using one set for the last 40 years! Buddy Rich couldn't say that I'm sure.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. I hang my head in shame.

la-la-la-la-I-cant-hear-you.png

I came to a realization last night as I was changing my front bass drum head to look like Charlie Watt's kit: Does anyone realize, that he bought that ONE kit, and he's been playing it with the Stones for over 40 years now?

Talk about making a profit off of one tool.

That kit is so famous (like Ringo's) that people make replicas of it. Charlie's story behind the kit was that he bought it in the 70s after using it for a recording session in Los Angeles, and he's been using that one ever since with the Rolling Stones. Yes, he has others, and has been pictured with others, but if you believe his story, he actually bought his favorite set of Gretsch drums, and he's been using them all this time. And they were used to begin with!

(I wonder if Gretsch ever offered him a new version of his beloved kit? He probably turned it down.)

Contrast this with myself (among others here) who at the very least have a revolving door of drum sets coming in and out of the house, seeking out a meager living playing those kits. And here's Charlie, probably a millionaire several times over, making money off of his one kit. Even people who think every few years is a good time to upgrade can't escape the shame of the Rolling Stone using one set for the last 40 years! Buddy Rich couldn't say that I'm sure.

I've been doing it wrong all this time. I hang my head in shame.

"Probably" a millionaire several times over? Ya' think?

Have you had a Gretsch kit, Bo? I don't remember seeing you or reading about you with one yet.

Years ago I did. It was back in the 80s so it was these weird fusion sizes in an orange stain. I didn’t dig it and it went back to Pro Drum. The pull to Ludwig was stronger. Maybe if I had traditional sizes I’d have a different idea on it today.

Depends on how much he gets for royalties. If Mick and Keef are like Robby Robertson, he could be broke.,

Last time I saw it he was reckoned to be worth something like £175 million GBP, and I don't think he has a particularly rock and roll lifestyle.

For me it's very reassuring. I've only ever had one kit and it wasn't even mine, handed down to me by my brother. Had it for over 20 years. It's still in good nick and I have no reason (or space) to get another one). As the years roll on it gets more and more special.

Love the guy. He probably believes, rightly, that its more about the drummer than the drums. He obviously enjoys playing much more than obsessing about the next "Must have" bit of kit.

Years ago I did. It was back in the 80s so it was these weird fusion sizes in an orange stain. I didn’t dig it and it went back to Pro Drum. The pull to Ludwig was stronger. Maybe if I had traditional sizes I’d have a different idea on it today.

Weird fusion sizes? Like how?

I almost had a 3 ply gretsch kit custom built for me through lonestar percussion but I decided to go with a used recording custom instead. Gretsch seemed really easy to custom build with, and the price actually wasn't that bad, if I had the money I'd add a gretsch kit to my arsenal

Reminds me of Brad Gillis from Night Ranger. I think he's been using the same red Fender guitar for years. (I could be wrong... he may have multiples of that red Fender, but i think i remember reading that it's been his main axe for years. )

Brian May (Queen) has played one guitar almost exclusively since 1972. The "Red Special" he and his Father built.

Back