My family don't like my being a musician....

I have a similar issue;
. Take for instance "stairway to heaven" by Led Zeppelin - My dad yells at me every time i play the intro to that, or any part of the song for that matter. They dont understand that we like the music ONLY for the music, not for its satanic origins.

Led zeppelin is satanic!?
hahahaha

This is STUPID!

I've been a performing musician now for two years, two as a bassist and for the last 2months, a drummer.

My problem- my family are non-musicians and seem militant in their disgust for my music.
What makes it worse is that I'm a Christian Rock drummer, and my family (for the majority) are strict atheists.
So this is causing a lot of tension and stress, mostly for me. Up until now, only my (Christian) grandparents have been to hear me play anything, at a small university event. I can't talk about playing music with them, and I can't even really play drums in the house.

Anyone got any idea what I could do to help sort this out? I've tried explaining to them how much it means but nothing has got through.

You say you are a performing musician for the last 2 years. Can you give a little more detail about that?
Are you just playing once in while, or do you play regularly and can you make a living or at least close to make a living with your music.
As far as I know you are 21, maybe your parents want to see that you actually getting somewhere with what you are doing.
I am just a little sceptical here, because I've seen it and experienced myself as a parent.
Religious belief beside, are your parents feed you ,cloth you ,and put a roof over your head, or are you contributing in any of these matters.
Do they see that you regularly gig, or you go out once or twice a month play somewhere and the rest of the time you sit at home play video games and drums.
Do you have a job to support your drumming, or do play enough so your art supports itself?
I only heard your side of the story, I would like to hear your parents side too.

Back