remo powerstroke or aquarian superkick?

hurleyman0485

im torn between the two brands for my batter and reso bass drum.... any suggestions or experiences with either? looking for a good thump.

I have both, right now.

The PS/3 is punchier and a bit more open. The SKI is warmer, and a bit flatter/more closed sounding.

Personally, I prefer the attack and response of the ps/3.

Played and SK1 with an aquarian regulator reso. Definitely a short tone. Just switched to a PS3 and left the regulator reso. Opens the sound of the drum up more, little more boom to it and it projects a little better. I'm really liking the PS3 over the Sk1. You do have to tune the PS3 up a little higher than you would the SK1, once you find that sweet spot it's pure magic!

I haven't tried the SK yet, but I own the PS3 and I love it.

If you play out miked the SK will do fine.

If you play out unmiked the SK/regulator combo will be hopeless, use PS3s front and rear. Tune for boooooom.

If you play out miked the SK will do fine.

If you play out unmiked the SK/regulator combo will be hopeless, use PS3s front and rear. Tune for boooooom.

I've played out several times with the Super K 1 and Regulator combo (un micd) and it wasn't hopeless or anything close to it. The PS3 will be boomy because it isn't as muffled as the Super Kick. Either way, both brands are good combos for the job but the Aquarian combo isn't hopeless. It just depends on what you want to hear.

I've played out several times with the Super K 1 and Regulator combo (un micd) and it wasn't hopeless or anything close to it. The PS3 will be boomy because it isn't as muffled as the Super Kick. Either way, both brands are good combos for the job but the Aquarian combo isn't hopeless. It just depends on what you want to hear.

The SK/Regulator combo is quite heavily muffled, and sounds very soft unmiked. Perhaps in a small venue with some kinds of music it might suffice.

Things often sound different from the driver's seat--or under the mics!--than they do out in the audience in a venue-sized room. This level of muffling usually makes the bass drum too soft in that circumstance.

Further, it is "boom" that lets you be heard when unmiked. Once again, it sounds different from the driver's seat and from the audience. From the driver's seat it sounds like an awful lot of sustain. But from the audience it sounds like a bass drum that can actually be heard.

The SK/Regulator combo is quite heavily muffled, and sounds very soft unmiked. Perhaps in a small venue with some kinds of music it might suffice.

Things often sound different from the driver's seat--or under the mics!--than they do out in the audience in a venue-sized room. This level of muffling usually makes the bass drum too soft in that circumstance.

Further, it is "boom" that lets you be heard when unmiked. Once again, it sounds different from the driver's seat and from the audience. From the driver's seat it sounds like an awful lot of sustain. But from the audience it sounds like a bass drum that can actually be heard.

Yep. All true.. I was just trying to say the SK/ Regulator combo can be heard and felt as long as nothing else is in the drum. If the SK is used in a live band (un micd) Situation, it is very important to use the SK 1. The SK 2 is too damn heavy on anything under 26 inches. The SK 1 will have more volume than it's 2 ply brother.

Yep. All true.. I was just trying to say the SK/ Regulator combo can be heard and felt as long as nothing else is in the drum. If the SK is used in a live band (un micd) Situation, it is very important to use the SK 1. The SK 2 is too damn heavy on anything under 26 inches. The SK 1 will have more volume than it's 2 ply brother.

With the superkicks, I find it really depends on the size of bass drum you have. The bigger the diameter, the more you can crank it up. If you tune any superkick real loose, I would agree you're gonna be lacking volume. However, with my 26 I put a superkick 2 on there and cranked it very tight, and that's by far the loudest kick drum I've ever heard. You could hear it even in the back of a large room I played, unmiked. The only problem was, it sounded like crap. It just made this loud popping noise. But a superkick2 on a 24 just sounds great, and you can still tune it high enough for increased volume, and a great thump. I really didn't like the regulator reso though. I found it a little too controlled, and it probably does take the volume down a little bit.

Back