Just got a "Drum House". LOOK!

DEAD THREAD?

Anyway, my cymbals are there right now along with my 4 snare drums. I am moving in completely on Friday next week (Feb. 13th.)
Thanks for the input.
I need some advice to reduce noise but CHEAP!

Stick old bed mattresses up against the walls

Your parents bought a whole house for you to play drums in???
My parents won't buy me a pair of sticks...

How well is the sound with that? Will the neighbors hear me?

Yes.

If you're looking to move into the relm of "sound proofing", you're looking at a whole 'nother expensive animal. It takes more than a couple of mattresses to eliminate sound totally.

Check out some of the threads here on sound proofing. There's many options you can use to reduce what sound the neighbours may hear, but to completely sound proof doesn't come cheaply.

Yes.

If you're looking to move into the relm of "sound proofing", you're looking at a whole 'nother expensive animal. It takes more than a couple of mattresses to eliminate sound totally.

Check out some of the threads here on sound proofing. There's many options you can use to reduce what sound the neighbours may hear, but to completely sound proof doesn't come cheaply.

Well, I don't want anything stuck on the walls or ceiling. We are renting it out, and I don't want any damage, or visual downfalls.

Well, I don't want anything stuck on the walls or ceiling. We are renting it out, and I don't want any damage, or visual downfalls.

Then you're not going to do any meaningful soundproofing of any kind. All the mattresses will do is turn a ringy, echoey, empty room into a deader, less ringy room with some mattresses against the wall. Your neighbors will not sense any difference in the noise levels.

True soundproofing is almost always structural and lasting, both of which you say you don't want. Then I guess you'd better start making friends with your neighbors and asking if there's any time of day they'd rather you not play.

Then you're not going to do any meaningful soundproofing of any kind. All the mattresses will do is turn a ringy, echoey, empty room into a deader, less ringy room with some mattresses against the wall. Your neighbors will not sense any difference in the noise levels.

True soundproofing is almost always structural and lasting, both of which you say you don't want. Then I guess you'd better start making friends with your neighbors and asking if there's any time of day they'd rather you not play.

Well, I just found out that the neighbors don't know who owns the property :).
But know what you mean.
The room is made of concrete, so I will need to fill the room with some sound absorbent material.

If you want sound proofing, you need to take that into account as the room is being built.

Treating a room after it's build does very little to reduce the volume the neighbors will hear.

OK, well I will need some stuff to make it a bit less "ringy". Suggestions?

Now you're back to mattresses or acoustic foam or baffles etc etc. They'll certainly help dampen excessive overtones from the room.......but, they won't stop your neighbours from hearing.

Now you're back to mattresses or acoustic foam or baffles etc etc. They'll certainly help dampen excessive overtones from the room.......but, they won't stop your neighbours from hearing.

OK, I will just use matresses because they are availiable to me currently. I'm excited I get to move in next week! The houses have been painted too, the landscaping will be going in shortly! EXCITED!
From PFOG I expect him to say its the drummer, not the room! LOL I'm just messing with ya' Jules!

From PFOG I expect him to say its the drummer, not the room! LOL I'm just messing with ya' Jules!

lol!!

I'm in the same boat mate. My practice room is our spare room at home. it has high ceilings, flat, square walls and is conducive to that swirly, echoy, resonant sound that you most likely have. I just hang some foam and a few blankets to deaden the room. Anymore of a professional approach to 'sound treating' the room would incur the wrath of Mrs Pocket....not advisable!!

As for the neighbours.....I have a young fella on one side who plays drums, guitar and I even heard a trumpet being played yesterday and the other side is another drummer and bass player.....what are the odds?!?!

lol!!

I'm in the same boat mate. My practice room is our spare room at home. it has high ceilings, flat, square walls and is conducive to that swirly, echoy, resonant sound that you most likely have. I just hang some foam and a few blankets to deaden the room. Anymore of a professional approach to 'sound treating' the room would incur the wrath of Mrs Pocket....not advisable!!

As for the neighbours.....I have a young fella on one side who plays drums, guitar and I even heard a trumpet being played yesterday and the other side is another drummer and bass player.....what are the odds?!?!

I DO NOT advise getting your wife involved! They sure don't want anything done to their decorating!
Your lucky to have people who play music by you. The only person I know that plays any instrument lives 30+ minutes from my house. I have to play alone :(.
ANYWAY, hope this all works well, I think I just overheard my dad talking about an issue with the development. Better go ask him whats up.

Just moved the drums in!
The room sounds a bit better than I thought!
I'm so excited to play there tomorrow! I can get in more practice time, and don't have to be told to stop!
I just finished setting up, and its 10:00 PM.
Any questions, or statements?

Back