OT: Tornado Alley

Zickos

Gold Member
They don't call this place "Tornado Alley" for nothing. Tonight missed an F4 by less than 5 mi. when it went through a highly populated city. Still not sure about casualties or fatalities. Last night missed by about a half a mile. All my friends are safe so far.

BTW, we also have wild fires, hail, floods, earth quakes, blizzards, droughts. Any one know where we can get a hurricane so we can make it complete?

My co-worker was trying to "trick" me into working a project there for the summer.. and I was telling him.. " Yeah, but that freakin' weather.. " and he was pretending like there was absolutely nothing to even remotely be concerned about.. This was just a day or two ago.

I keep texting him reminders of what he was trying to convince me of. He won't respond.

This is an enormous disaster really on a financial and human level with many casualties yound and old and no doubt many more to come. The weather is definitely changing with each year that passes and the storms, to me anyway, are just the high points in a curve that is definitely different than it was 20 years ago.

Keeping all those people in my thoughts. Drums are great (not OT see mods)

Any one know where we can get a hurricane so we can make it complete?

My family and I dealt with hurricane Katrina down here in New Orleans eight years ago. No thanks...

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to all...........I live in Tuscaloosa, Alabama and this town will never be the same after the big one hit here 4/27/11. The pain, devastation and destruction are hard to comprehend. TV reports and pictures do not begin to tell/show the whole story!

The news reports that there are at least 51 dead so far. If that is correct you can expect that number to rise by morning. Shades of May 4, 1999.

Ah, I hadn't seen this thread before I made my own. I didn't know you lived in that area zickos. Glad you're okay. I'm from Moore actually, but not living there any longer

They don't call this place "Tornado Alley" for nothing. Tonight missed an F4 by less than 5 mi. when it went through a highly populated city. Still not sure about casualties or fatalities. Last night missed by about a half a mile. All my friends are safe so far.

BTW, we also have wild fires, hail, floods, earth quakes, blizzards, droughts. Any one know where we can get a hurricane so we can make it complete?

I live in eastern Missouri we got that same storm system through here last night. No tornado but heavy winds and like 6 inches of rain in 2 hours

This is an enormous disaster really on a financial and human level with many casualties yound and old and no doubt many more to come. The weather is definitely changing with each year that passes and the storms, to me anyway, are just the high points in a curve that is definitely different than it was 20 years ago.

Keeping all those people in my thoughts. Drums are great (not OT see mods)

People have been saying stuff like that an predicting the end of the world for thousands of years. The difference is that we have a much larger population on earth (more people living in higher risk areas), and a 24 hour news cycle. Bad news sells, and with this 24 hour, instantaneous news cycle, we are there "as it happens". The Weather Channel should be renamed The Disaster Channel, because that's about all it reports.

More perspective here: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/...ata-shows-otherwise-a-historical-perspective/

People have been saying stuff like that an predicting the end of the world for thousands of years. The difference is that we have a much larger population on earth (more people living in higher risk areas), and a 24 hour news cycle. Bad news sells, and with this 24 hour, instantaneous news cycle, we are there "as it happens". The Weather Channel should be renamed The Disaster Channel, because that's about all it reports.

More perspective here: http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/04/...ata-shows-otherwise-a-historical-perspective/

I agree with DMC. I have lived in St. Louis Missouri all my life. we are at the confluence of two major river systems the floods weren't near as bad when I was young. But now people keep developing the floodplain and building levees to keep the water out.So the more levees you build the higher the water gets until one breaks then it floods into lands that shouldn't be flooding. it is a direct result of population not weather patterns

The place sounds like it's one of those cursed in the Bible! All you need is a good plague.

I forget the number, but if someone wants some homework, look for the percentage of Americans living within close proximity to the coasts. Asking for floods, hurricanes, snow in the winter etc.

Just a few years ago an F-5 tornado was almost the stuff of legend.Two hundred mile an hour winds are almost unbelieveable till you look at the devistation.

Two by fours hurled with such force that they penetrate a concrete block wall.

This has been an incredible year for major weather events and natural disasters.

The northeast isn't exempt from tornados either.Around a decade ago,one touched down on Staten Island and was classified an F 2.It only lasted briefly,but it uprooted over 150 trees in Pouch boy scout camp.

I can barely imagine what an F-5 would do here.

Stay strong Sooners.

Steve B

OK, you heard it here first. Oklahoma is no longer in Tornado Alley.

It is now been officially named to THE TORNADO SUPER HIGHWAY!

At least by me

Hey Zickos, I live in Northwest Arkansas (Rogers). Your Tornado Superhighway runs right through my yard. I love the storms, but I do get tired of wondering when the big one will hit here.

Back