Drum Cases

mike d

Silver Member
I'm looking for some good hard shell cases for my kit and and looking at SBK, and Gator Protechtor Classic and Elite. The SBKs seem the most expensive. I like the looks of the Gator Elite series for features / price. The classics are the cheapest, but I'd have to cut and glue my own foam for any protection. I'm leaning towards the Gator Elites. Any one want to give me some feedback?

Are you sure you need a foam lining? I've used Humes & Berg Enduro cases for years without a foam lining and my drums are in great shape! After my last debacle with Gator shipping out foam-lined cases that literally corroded drum hardware, I vowed to stay away from them with a passion.

If you really want the padding, get the SKBs', those are awesome. But of course there's a price for their awesome-ness. Humes & Berg Enduros also come with a foam lining, but like I said, I don't think you need it. The function of the case is really to deflect energy of anything going in to it, and if the drum in the case were dropped, it would give and deflect the bounce. The drum itself, not banging into anything but the smooth inside of the case, will most likely not suffer any damage (at least mine haven't). Also, without a foam lining, if your drums were wet, its a simple matter of just drying everything off. If you had a foam lining, it would take days letting the foam lining dry out because if you don't, then your hardware would rust if you left them in the case.

My two cents (I've owned SKB, Humes&Berg, and those cheap Gators).

If foam lining wasn't an issue, would the Gator Classics be OK?
They are a lot cheaper and seem pretty good in all other respects (no lining).

pay the money and get the SKBs...you wont regret it.

F

If foam lining wasn't an issue, would the Gator Classics be OK?
They are a lot cheaper and seem pretty good in all other respects (no lining).

I suppose. But I no longer trust that company, so I'm quite a bit biased against them. But think about it, there's a reason they're usually cheaper than everyone else and there's a reason a name like SKB is spoken of so highly.

Unless you're pro touring, or otherwise place your drums in an environment where they're likely to have ultra heavy cabs falling on them, I'd urge you strongly to consider the new AAA cases from protection Racket. Their rigid construction gives them the strength of a high quality hardcase, but their tough fabric outer & slight flex makes them very car/loading friendly. Add to that, the incredible inner lining & Protection Racket's peerless quality, they're a win win all round. They easily offer as much big impact protection as my lined Humes & Berg hard cases, yet they're less than half the weight!

@Keep it Simple: Okay, you've got me rethinking this. I can't seem to find the AAAs in the sizes I need anywhere here in the US.

I see that the Ahead cases are readily available and seem like a good alternative to hard cases. Anyone got any feedback to give on those (or a good source for AAAs).

Go SKB and dont look back, be the last set of cases you will need to buy, I went the cheap route last time and guess what, it costs more to buy cases twice than buying SKB once. As for Gator there is a reason their stuff is less money, its junk, I had drum cases before they admitted they had a problem, I have one of their 2-12 guitar amp cases and the handle is not strong enough to handle weight of the case with a 2-12 in it, they replace it but it brakes just as easily, had to make my own handle. I also have one of their cord and mic cases and again its not strong enough to take the weight and the interlocking channel pulls apart when you pick it up and causes the latches to unlock dumping the contents on the ground. A friend of mine DJ's and has a couple of their rack mount cases and the plastic is all split and cracked from being bumped while unloading the trailer at a gig in the winter. Buy the good stuff, even if you have to buy them one at a time as you can afford it, it will save you money in the long run.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I decided to get a set of the Ahead Armor bags, just because they are so cheap compared to SKBs (1/3 the price). I just don't gig enough (right now), to justify the expense, and the Aheads look like the have pretty good protection for self-transported drums. I got no roadies, so I pack my drums myself, into my own truck. The Aheads were cheap enough, that I feel like I could still upgrade to the SKBs if I feel like I need them, and it wouldn't hurt too much. I hope they work out, and if they don't, I won't blame any of you for giving me an "I told you so". I just could not find any sizes for the AAAs here in the states or I would have considered those.

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I decided to get a set of the Ahead Armor bags, just because they are so cheap compared to SKBs (1/3 the price). I just don't gig enough (right now), to justify the expense, and the Aheads look like the have pretty good protection for self-transported drums. I got no roadies, so I pack my drums myself, into my own truck. The Aheads were cheap enough, that I feel like I could still upgrade to the SKBs if I feel like I need them, and it wouldn't hurt too much. I hope they work out, and if they don't, I won't blame any of you for giving me an "I told you so". I just could not find any sizes for the AAAs here in the states or I would have considered those.

No worries, man. Bags are always a good alternative and you're right, if you're not gigging hardcore, sometimes I think hard cases a little overkill (this is why I own one kit that I transport without cases and can just trash). I did bags for years too. When it got to the point where other people were helping me move my stuff around, or if I wasn't involved in the transport at all, then hard cases were a must because you just never know what will happen in instances like that. Good for you!

I know I'm jumping into this late, but I'd like to affirm your choice to go with bags. Considering your situation, bags are definitely enough to keep your drums safe. I recently got bags for my drums, but I didn't use anything for the past 5-6 years and there isn't anything I encountered in the past that bags would have made a difference with. Just be careful and conscious of your actions while you are transporting your drums and you'll be perfectly fine.

And if it's raining, you can just toss a large trash bag over your bags. Now they're water proofed!

Well, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I decided to get a set of the Ahead Armor bags, just because they are so cheap compared to SKBs (1/3 the price).

Good move. I just picked up a set of these for my kit and I love 'em! They work great and are strong enough for most hauls.

hmm... well, i've got the dreaded gators, and i added my own foam padding. i absolutely love them. good price, good water resistance (oh man, have they been tested), and strong. they've only got a year on them, but i'm confident they'll survive long term. my sonors are in anvil vulcanized fiber cases, which i also added foam to (the ends only) twenty years ago, and the drums are absolutely perfect. they have taken a terrible beating, and the cases look it. does anvil even exist anymore?

Back