What NON-Drummers have inspired you?

KCDrummer

Silver Member
I've seen so many threads asking what drummers we are inspired/influenced by. Surely, we all have a list of other artists that have had a hand in our development as musicians, not just because of what they do, but also how they do it. Here are some of mine

Johnny Cash
Jaco Pastorious
Tom Waits
Frank Sinatra
Bobby Watson
Wayne Shorter
Victor Wooten
John Scofield
Pat Metheny
Joni Mitchell
Beethoven

And some non-musicians!

Bill Hicks
George Carlin
Richard Pryor
Jackson Pollock
Kevin Spacey
Robert DeNiro
Jack Nicholson
Steve Martin
Anthony Bourdain

What a neat question:

Coltrane, Miles, Jaco, Chick, Zawinul, Art Pepper,Scofield, Bach, Ustaad Sultan Khan, Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Paul McCartney.

Non musicians
-I love George Carlin & Anthony Bourdain from your list, Zack.

In addition..Peter O'Rourke, Michaelangelo, Al Pacino, Frank Caliendo.

Yes, very neat question definitly. There are a few non-drummers are very influential for me:

Jean-Michel Pilc
Brad Mehldau
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
John Scofield
Pat Metheny
Oz Noy
Keith Jarrett
Bill Evans
John Coltrane
Miles Davis
John Pattitucci
Steve Lukather
Victor Wooten
Jack Johnson
Freddie Mercury

and more..... =)

Karl

Great question!

Jean-Luc Ponty
Pat Metheny
Keith Jarret
Miles Davis
Emily Remler
Eliane Elias
Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg

Many musicians have inspire me and still do, but there's one whose both life and music is such a prime example of ultimate musicianship, new boundaries and dedication, that many other musicians simply pale in comparison. Guessed who it is yet?

John Coltrane.

I'll try to keep the list short, it would be easy to list every member of every band I like.

Mike Patton of Faith No More/Tomahawk
James Hetfield of Metallica
Dimebag Darrell of Pantera (RIP)
Martin Walkyer of Skyclad (Incredible lyrics, particularly on The Wayward Sons Of Mother Earth album)
Steve Ramsey of Skyclad
And all three Beastie Boys

They are probably the top of the pile, and I want to mention Jason Newstead (Metallica/Echobrain), Neil Fallon (Clutch), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore) and Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath).

Count Basie
Lionel Hampton - liked his vibe work
Jimmy Smith- organist.
John Phillip Sousa

My biggest non-drummer influence is and has long been Tom Hanks. He's influenced me not only as a drummer, but also as a human being in general. He's the epitome of talent, class, and charisma.

"That Thing You Do", which Hanks directed, is my favorite music movie of all time. It really helped me through a tough time when I didn't have anywhere to play drums. I was kinda depressed about it all, but watching that movie really lifted my spirits....and it still does every time I watch it.

Bill Hicks is another non-drummer influence. His contempt for artistic mediocrity and banality has really rubbed off on me over the last few years. The world could really use him now.

Probably my biggest non-drumming influence would be Ayn Rand. Among a lot of things she stresses in her philosophy is being confident in yourself and knowing the talent that you have. Her views are in fact very applicable to the drumming world, and have helped me a lot.

Mitch Hedberg, his quirky ability to find humor in the absolute most mundane things in life has made me view things from a different perspective.

Another funny man who has inspired me is Kurt Vonneugut Jr, I sometimes try to (but almost always fail) to replicate his sly and cynical humor.Always inspiring me to "think outside the box" when I'm writing.

Jonny Greenwood inspires me to try to have excellence in all matters. (like he has.)

Don Dellilo, Haruki Murakami, Phillip Pullman, Terry Pratchet, Samuel Delany, Phillip K. Dick, Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut, George Orwell, Truman Capote, Shirley Jackson

and

Toshiro Mifune

Jerry Seinfeld. Even when I was feeling a little down about life, he always seems to get me back on the right track. Seinfeld just never gets old, i could watch it for the rest of my life and i'll laugh just as hard as i did the first time i watched it.

Mike Patton of Faith No More/Tomahawk

You can't forget..

Mr. Bungle & Peeping Tom!

For the sake not listing a bunch of names I am going to stick with the same a Doom. Mike Patton has helped to make me think of music in ways that I never did.

Good to see others appreciate him as well.

Louis Lamour. All of his stories were about folks seeking to improve themselves, their lot, a better life, a better way and never standing pat.

Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Herbie Hancock, Jaco Pastorius, Chick Corea, Wayne Shorter...

Buddha.

Miles.

Coletrane.

Jimi.

Zappa.

Carlin.

Gandhi.

Ron Paul.

Mom.

Dad.

Lennon.

McCartney.

Harrison.

Clapton.

Man, so many of you guys have lists that I so totally vibe with, y'all seem like soul mates...Zack, Ian, Derek, I love your lists.. and Cory, thanks for the 'mind opener' on Mike Patton many months ago..

Miles Davis,,
Sidney Bechet,
Timbaland,
Bruce Lee,
Paul Rudd,
George Carlin,
Stanley Kubrick,
Aaron Funk,
Mahler,
Eazy-E,
Dr. Dre,
Ice-Cube,