any help for a hot, fat guy....

Didn't know that. I assumed he didn't have A/C, or he would be using it.
Wow, the things we Yanks take for granted.
We have only recently got flushing toilets and some people have electricity 24/7...but not in my region..

Weird. We love our A/C around here! Maybe that also explains why my buddies nice new volvo has like the worst A/C I've ever seen. My nice american car will blast me with sub-zero freezing air all day long!
& that's one reason why your nice American car has such impressive fuel consumption performance (that, & the fact that you've only just progressed from pushrod engines). That said, you pay almost nothing for "gas", so why not just "consume away" :)

Runs for cover ;)

Didn't know that. I assumed he didn't have A/C, or he would be using it.
Wow, the things we Yanks take for granted.

Quite honestly, I don't want or need it in my residence.

It gets warm but I've got my cellar room, which is always cool. I have a sheltered south-facing room which is fine and a north-facing living room - which is fine. I stick a fan on and it's fine. I'd rather pay for a little electricity for a fan than for a sodding great air conditioner especially when it would only be cooling me most of the time.

& that's one reason why your nice American car has such impressive fuel consumption performance (that, & the fact that you've only just progressed from pushrod engines). That said, you pay almost nothing for "gas", so why not just "consume away" :)

Runs for cover ;)

4 bucks a gallon doesn't seem like nothing as my pontiac slurps down the fossil fuel. With the amount of makeup most Californian women seem to prefer, without super A/C, they'd melt. It's a requirement out here. Then again, before we put a bunch of houses here, it used to be a desert.

4 bucks a gallon doesn't seem like nothing as my pontiac slurps down the fossil fuel. With the amount of makeup most Californian women seem to prefer, without super A/C, they'd melt. It's a requirement out here. Then again, before we put a bunch of houses here, it used to be a desert.
we are paying £7 a gallon here Doctor, thats $10.50...we have just been warned to expect a huge price hike too...

Runs for cover ;)

Not all of us just consume away. My wife has a car but doesn't really go anywhere, and I ride a bike or walk whenever I can. In Arkansas where I live, it can and will get over 100 outside quite regularly in the summer. My home does have a/c, but the wifes car doesn't.

we are paying £7 a gallon here Doctor, thats $10.50...we have just been warned to expect a huge price hike too...

That's what you get for not living here in the land of cheap gas, overwhelming credit debt, guns, and "extreme couponing". We got it made over here.

Petrol is sold in litres but I tend to measure the efficiency of my car in miles per gallon.

My personal preferences are:

Distance - Miles
Measurements - Either, equally accurate at rough work with both, better with Metric for small measurements.
Beer - Pints.
Any other liquid - Metric.
Mass/Weight (yes, I know) - Body mass - Stone, mass for cooking - Metric.
Temperature - Metric.

I suppose we British have a very odd hybrid system. Officially we're metric but distances are still measured in Miles on the roadside.

To be honest, in casual conversation we flit back and forth between them and we seem to manage just fine. I can imagine it's tricky for some that were brought up on Imperial measurements.

With that said, I'd still prefer the Pound Sterling to be undecimalised because I'd imagine that system was fun.

I was going to suggest aircon too. It saved my skin last summer when we had 46C (115F).

Otherwise hide inside with a fan and a cool, wet face cloth. No way would I sit outside for hours in 32C either. I'd rather go back to work in an air conditioned office than watch a boring game in the heat!

Most of us in the UK use the Metric system for temperature. Although I use a combination of both systems so I can confuse everyone equally.

US gallons are smaller.

One thing I'm curious about, since I've never driven outside of this country, except Canada. Since your steering wheels are on the right side, which foot do you use for the accelerator (gas pedal)?

Do you think this whole thing with driving on one side or the other dates back to shipping days? I think the port side is the left side of the boat, in which case it would make sense that we should be driving on the left side. I can't really find a logical reason why we drive on the right side, but it sure feels right. We even pass each other on the right when walking on a sidewalk. If you try to pass somebody on the left, they look at you as if you are strange or something. See, there's another school of thought. Passing each other on the right seems less threatening, perhaps?

I owned a right hand drive car for a while and I could never quite get used to shifting with my left hand. Other than that it is pretty much the same.

Well except for the fact that I owned a right hand drive car on American roads. Confused a lot of people when I pulled up next to them or got out of the car.

Accelerator pedal on right, brake in the middle, clutch (where applicable) on the left.

So, pretty much the same, except you're working the clutch gears with the left hand, unless it's three on the tree. I had an old 65 Ford Econoline that had 3 on the tree, meaning the shifter was right under the steering wheel.

I owned a right hand drive car for a while and I could never quite get used to shifting with my left hand. Other than that it is pretty much the same.

Well except for the fact that I owned a right hand drive car on American roads. Confused a lot of people when I pulled up next to them or got out of the car.

It works pretty good for mail delivery and parallel parking I'd imagine. It would be hard to get used to shifting with the left hand.

Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread. My advice would be to take more swims or showers and get a safari hat with a little fan built right into it.

I didn't know most of UK doesn't have A/C in their homes. I can't imagine sleeping with no A/C. And then getting up to no A/C. You people do heat your homes right? Why stop at winter? Why not include all the seasons? You guys are insane!

I didn't know most of UK doesn't have A/C in their homes. I can't imagine sleeping with no A/C. And then getting up to no A/C. You people do heat your homes right? Why stop at winter? Why not include all the seasons? You guys are insane!

Because usually there are only about three hot days a year. The rest are cold and wet.

Back