New drum heads, no idea what to go with

Nick.

I play heavier rock, and I'm currently using single ply "attack" brand heads (coated only on snare). imo they're too thin and resonate too much, but other than that sound decent. They're ready to be replaced.
I'm basically just looking for a more muffled tone on toms and stronger heads. Any suggestions for heads?

EC2 Clear. Great sounding and durable. I'm on my 3rd set of these heads. They have a control ring between the plys that work great for controlling overtones. The coated version has a very warm controlled sound, great for recording. To my ear the clear heads have more attack up front with warm controlled tone when tuned just past the wrinkles.

What about Evans Hydraulics, any advice/experience with those? They seem to be what I'm looking for, but I'm not quite sure.

What about Evans Hydraulics, any advice/experience with those? They seem to be what I'm looking for, but I'm not quite sure.

Very, very controlled with little overtones if any. Would be good head miced and for studio work (maybe) but way too dead IMO. If you are familiar with Remo Pinstripe, I would say the hydraulic is even more controlled than that.

I would stay away from those. I bought a whole set for my Vistalites and they are dead.
Ended up with Evans single ply EC1(?) heads on the toms, hydraulic on the bass (I want an EMAD) and a Remo black velvet on the snare.
I like a little ring but you have to hear them for yourself and decide for yourself what you like.
Hydraulics are dead with no stick response at all.
EC2 are controlled ring single ply.
I'm actually considering single ply heavy weight with no control rings at all.

Very, very controlled with little overtones if any. Would be good head miced and for studio work (maybe) but way too dead IMO. If you are familiar with Remo Pinstripe, I would say the hydraulic is even more controlled than that.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I just saw a couple videos and reviews of them. I'm looking for a tom sound like these, would the hydraulics still be too dead for that?

Alright, I'm going to go with EC2's for the toms, but what about the snare? I saw the Emperor X, the durability looked great and, from what I could tell from a few youtube videos, it sounds pretty good too.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, I just saw a couple videos and reviews of them. I'm looking for a tom sound like these, would the hydraulics still be too dead for that?
The toms in that video are very dead. I take back my recommendation.

I have to say actualy liked that tom sound, would love that on my drums!

I'm no where near that at the moment, and I think I may have the "attack" heads as well. What is a good way to match that sound, I guess a very lightly tensioned batter and reso?

Thanks

Back