Favorite Drummer?

I'm not going to make a list, I don't care about who's first and who's last, I don't care about that crap:

Ringo Starr/Mitch Mitchell/John Bonham/Ian Paice/Keith Moon/Al Jackson Jr./Michael Schrieve/Jim Keltner/Alan White/Barriemore Barlow

Omar Hakim, Tony royster Jr., Dennis Chambers, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Brent Easton, Nick Smith, George "Spanky" McCurdy, Calvin rogers, The late great Marvin McQuitty, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Vinnie Caliutta, John Blackwell, Cora Coleman-Dunham, Rexsell Hardy, John Roberts, Robert "Sput" Seawright, Kenny Hughes, Marcus Baylor, Will Kennedy, Terrance Higgins, Thomas Pridgen, Dave Elitch, John Bonham, Marvin "Smitty" Smith, Amir "?uestlove" Thompson, Chris "Daddy" Dave, Chris Coleman, "Big" Mike Clemons, Margis Miles, Joey Oscar, Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Chick Webb, Steve Smith, Steve Jordan, Steve Jordan, Longineu Parsons, Chad Smith and many many many many more!!

I definitely don't have any 1 single favorite drummer.

This week my favorite drummers have been:

Elvin Jones,
Max Roach,
Billy Cobham.

Jon Fishman. Not only one of the most impressive improvisational rock drummers, but the best listener. He plays so in the moment.

Its got to be Keith Moon and John Bonham for me. :)

Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste (The Meters) and Alan Evans (Soulive & Alan Evans Trio). I love all things funky. I'm more impressed by the feel of the drummer than how complex his/her playing is.

Cozy Powell, I saw him on a kids tv show when I was 10 and I never wanted to be anyone else sooooooooooo much!! Tragic loss but I listen to something he's playing on almost everyday. God bless ya Cozy...

It changes a lot, but lately I've been really into Thomas Pridgen. He has a pretty crazy style and seems like he's all over the place, but at the same time it fits perfectly.

Other favorites include: Deantoni Parks, Jon Theodore (if you can't tell I'm a huge Mars Volta fan), Chad Smith, Elvin Jones, Jeff Watts, Dave Grohl (mostly his Queens of the Stone Age stuff), and ?uestlove to name a few.

So many but my fave is Steve Smith.

No particular order...

1. Phil Rudd - yeah I know but he is the machine that makes AC/DC go and timing is impeccable.

2. Neil Peart - no explanation

3. Cozy Powell - just because he had some serious licks and was just so damn good

Paul Motian. He is the embodiment of what so many drummers forget about - feel, texture, color, and musicality. And he's a minimalist - able to say a lot with few "words".

My list changes from time to time but CURRENTLY, the guys who inspire me MOST are:

Dom Famularo
Jeff Porcaro
Steve Gadd
Vinnie Colaiuta
John JR Robinson
Steve Smith

Back