Muffleing with an EMAD

Tylerdrums109

So on my Yamaha Stage Custom the bass drum has alot of overtones and alot of sustain...so where i normally would use just the EMAD along with the ported reso i also have put a small pillow inside....and with all this i somehow get the perfect mix of Thud and Boom....is it strange that i am using muffleing with an EMAD and a ported reso? Do any of you also do something similar? You may be thinking..."wouldn't that sound completely dead?" and surprisingly the answer is no the drum sounds fantastic..

What is an EMAD? ? soz lol

If you don't know what he's talking about, why did you respond? High post counts don't mean you know a lot about drums.

It is common to use a pillow as well as both the EMAD's, it just depends on your personal taste and what acoustics your room has. If you were in say, an auditorium. The pillow would probably not be needed.

I have a batter side EMAD, with a medium size pillow inside, although, I don't use the EMAD reso, yet.

If you don't know what he's talking about, why did you respond? High post counts don't mean you know a lot about drums.

That's too harsh, RICHY is just curious.

Tylerdrums- that's pretty much an identical bass drum set up to mine, and I find it's versatile for the size rooms I play at the moment. If it sounds good to your ear then there's nothing to worry about.

With my 20" birch bass drum, I have two settings...

1st is the EMAD 2 batter head with the EMAD reso
and an EQ pad that touch the batter head... This is
my rock bass drum setting... like you said, best of
boom and tud, and pedal feel for me... I use the larger
muffling ring in the batter head. Like that, my bass drum
sound like a modern studio recording... perfect...

My 2nd setting is nothing in the bd and I replace the
batter EMAD with an Evans EQ 4... I got a Bonham
sound or "my" jazz sound... wide open sound with
controled sustain... More boom and less punch, some
kind of "pow" with some "pock" ; )

You know what... as long as you like how it sound...

Philippe

I have the coated EMAD on the batter side and the EMAD with the ported hole on the resonant side.

They seem to sound nice.

I used to run my Emad batter head with the larger felt ring and an EQ3 reso with just a small towel rolled up touching the reso.

sounded fine to me.

If your sound is working for you that go ahead and do it.

It is common to use a pillow as well as both the EMAD's, it just depends on your personal taste and what acoustics your room has. If you were in say, an auditorium. The pillow would probably not be needed.

I have a batter side EMAD, with a medium size pillow inside, although, I don't use the EMAD reso, yet.

i thought this site was about learning about subjects you dont know about,,

If it sounds good to you, then it sounds good, period.

If you play out unmiked, I would only recommend that you try to get to listen to your bass drum (and your entire kit, for that matter) with someone else playing it in a venue-sized room. Preferably with the band, too! You will learn a lot about what works and what doesn't.

I only learned (after decades of playing, duh) when I started teching for my kid that muffled bass drums and unmiked rock situations don't work. I kept telling him to play the bass drum louder, and despite his really laying into it, it was nearly inaudible out front.

When I went from trying to achieve "thud" from the bass drum--which sounded good from the driver's seat--to achieving "boom" instead, all of a sudden you could hear the bass drum through the band.

So unless we're miked, I go for "boom," with PS3s front and rear, no port and nothing in the drum. It sounds seismic. For miked I put a ported PS3 on the front and use an Evans EQ pad on the batter and a small rolled-up towel against the reso.

Back