Good Drum Module for Hybrid Kit?

impactus81

I play in a cover band and we do top 40 music. Deciding I needed to go hybrid to produce those song-specific sounds, I recently purchased two used Alesis DM10 drum pads. My guitarist had an old drum module for me to use, but long story short it isn't going to get the job done; too many issues. The sounds I want to produce will more or less be auxiliary/exotic sounds. Still haven't decided where exactly these two pads and the future drum module will be placed on my existing kit.

I have little experience with electronic drums. What I am looking for is a reasonably priced module that has a decent library of percussion sounds and effects. A quick look on the web told me a decent one goes for around $250-$300 roughly. I am not looking to spend over $300 if I can help it.

Can anyone recommend a good drum module for this situation? Also, is there a difference for drum modules regarding triggers and pads?

Probably a Roland SPD-S (or similar) unit is what you might want to look at.​

That looks like it could work. Seeing how I already have two Alesis pads, the only way I see myself getting a Roland SPD-S is if it contained a superior library to everything else in it's price range. Would it have a larger library of sounds than a Yamaha DTX-502? I have my eye on that particular module at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do pretty much the same thing. Top 40 rock/dance stuff. All I wanted to do was add some 808/303 kicks and snares, hand claps and stuff like that on the cheap. I now use a SPD SX live with a trigger on my kick, and 2 other pads along with the 9 pads on the unit itself. The Yamaha module will give you most of the sounds you probably need for this.

Amplification is very important. Unless you have a really good PA with really good monitors, you're going to need some way for yourself and your bandmates to hear these sounds. Adding electronics gets tricky. And expensive.

[/INDENT]
That looks like it could work. Seeing how I already have two Alesis pads,
You wouldn't need the Alesis pads. The Roland has 9 built on trigger pads.​
.... if it contained a superior library ....
The SPD-S is a sampler. You can build its sound library. You need not "settle" for what the factory supplies.​

Thanks for all the input everyone. Since I already have two drum pads, the cheapest option sounds like the Yamaha DTX-502. The Roland SPD-S I would love to try as well, maybe later down the road.

Back