Bands or acts you regret missing before they passed away

I was born in the late 80's so a lot of my musical heroes are long dead or have succumb to Sick Boy syndrome (see link).

http://www.cracked.com/article_14918_sickboy-syndrome-five-great-comedians-whove-lost-it.html

So I really have no regret about missing a show because I couldn't have seen them while they were in their prime...or alive. Sooo I wish I could have seen:

-Bob Marley (my dad holds this over my head but I've seen Santana and he hasn't)
-70's Sabbath (Seen Ozzy many times and Heaven and Hell but I'd love to see them all young and in their angry hippie glory)
-Queen (with Freddy)
-Janis Joplin (anytime)
-Hendrix (with the experience)
-70's Thin Lizzy (Vagabonds era, when Brian Downey had that white streak in his hair)

The two I honestly wish I hadn't missed were Led Zeppelin and the Who with Moonie. And if I had to just pick one, Zeppelin.

Foo Fighters are recording another album right now as we speak.

Zeppelin
The Who with Keith
Ozzy with Randy
The Beatles

Those are the four big ones.

My mom bought tickets to see Led Zeppelin for the first time on September 25 1980. She still can't believe her crappy timing.

Regrets:

Van Halen reunion with Hagar. I had just bought a house, and couldn't afford the ticket at the time.

The Police reunion. I would have gone, but tickets started at $200. It wasn't worth it, but it would have been nice.

Big regret was the Who in the mid 90's. The band had stripped away all the excess backing players and went more old school. It also ended up John Entwistle's last full tour. I missed because I was so busy my own gigs. I bought a ticket for their next tour, but John passed away mere days before I was supposed to see them. I'm still depressed over that one.

If I had been born another time or had a time machine:

The Who cira 1968/69. Live at Leeds in such an incredible album, and it would be awesome to see them in that time period.

The Who circa mid-70's. The clips in "The Kids are Alright" from that time period show the band had just gone to another level. Awesome.

Journey, from when Steve Smith was still in the band. Just cause.

Zeppelin. Not the biggest fan, but I'd love to have seen John Bonham in person.

Gene Krupa. Such a talent.

If I could travel back in time for a moment, go back to the 20's and see how guys like Zutty Singleton were doing it, back when the drum set was still a new concept.

These are listed but are in no particluar order.

1. Nirvanna
2. Alice in Chains- Staley era
3. Journey- S. Perry/S. Smith era
4. Elvis
5. Metallica- Newstead era
6. Queen
7. Boston
8. Pearl Jam- D. Abbruzzesse era. I'll probably get flamed for this but i'm just not impressed with M. Cameron as PJ drummer. JMO
9. Ozzy- R. Rhoads era
10. Guns & Roses- Classic lineup
11. Kiss- Classic lineup
12. Iron Maiden- Clive Burr era. I don't have a problem with Nickos' playing i just enjoy listening to Clive on the early records.
13. Van Halen- Hagar era. This is another one i'll probably get flamed for. I was never a fan of Roth. I always thought that guy was an idiot( all those spinning kicks and crap was just stupid IMO) and his voice gets on my nerves. I much prefer Hagar over Roth JMO.
14. Lynyrd Skynyrd- Classic lineup
15. AX7- The Rev era

I was at this Mookie Blaylock (Pearl Jam) show and Alice In Chains was headlining it before their first big tour (opening for Van Halen). It was 1990 and the only time I saw either band. Pearl Jam's first record wasn't out yet but there was still considerable interest because they were the new incarnation of Mother Love Bone.

I'm glad I got to see Nirvana twice.

Wish I could've seen The Beatles and Led Zep... but I'm not old enough.

Last edited:
An old girlfriend gave me tickets to see Buddy Rich. He was touring with his band, and he got ill and had to cancel the shows. Soon afterward he past away.

I had tickets to see Pink Floyd Shea stadium, the canceled that concert.

Babatune Olatunji
Bob Marley
Desmond Dekker
Elvis
Frank Zappa
Grateful Dead
Hank Williams
Kin Ping Meh
Kitty Wells
Led Zeppelin
Link Wray and Robert Gordon
Little Feat
Parliament/Funkadelic
Robert Johnson
Sex Pistols
The Band
The Beatles
The Clash
The Ramones
The Stooges
Tito Puente
Toto

Being as im only 24 i couldn't list all the people i wish i could have seen because there are so many. I know for sure that my absolute number one would be Sublime. Then the ones i probably could have seen but never got a chance to nirvana, alice in chains, snot, avenged sevenfold (with the rev although now the have portnoy), pantera. And of course theres the ones i probably never would have got a chance to see like The Who (with moon of course), Led, Jimi, Buddy Rich and all the great jazz drummers. Theres just to many to list but luckily most of these have videos upon videos archived on them so i can atleast get a taste of seeing them live.

Relate to a lot of these but I would have loved to have seen King Crimson, either in their LTIA or Discipline periods.

Edit: Not that they passed away ...

Last edited:
Pantera,
Art Blakey
Buddy Rich's big band
Toto
Micheal Jackson (well...during Thriller era...)
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull back around Aqualung (I know they're still around)
King Crimson (for Court of the Crimson King or In the Wake of Poseidon)
Minor Threat
Jimi Hendrix
Queen
Yes (90215 era)

Led Zeppelin by far I was only 10(3 days lacking 10) when Bonham passed. I've seen The Firm,Jimmy Page solo,Robert Plant solo,Page & Plant,Jimmy Page & the Black Crows & John Paul Jones solo so i've seen pretty much everything but Zep & too add too that I've got tickets for "the Led-Zeppelin Experience" w/Jason Bonham @ the Fox theater in Detroit on Devil's Night......nice.

Bonzolead

Not a huge Yes fan but I saw this concert in Providence RI, and to this day it is the best concert I have ever seen..The opening act was a bugs bunny cartoon on a giant screen : )
I woulda loved to see "Leave It" sung live.

I forgot to mention Max Roach and Elvin Jones earlier...

Back