Gretsch Catalina Maple

nice how do u like it?

Looks good Buddy. Take your time tuning and you'll be smiling for a long time.

Lookin' good Zep! Tune 'em up and like GD said, you'll be smilin' for miles!

Hey Zep, dump the stock heads when you can. Whatever brand you choose, they will make the drums sing like they were made to. The stock Gretsch heads are crap.

Heads are such a personal choice that I wouldn't presume to tell you which ones are the best. I can tell you, that I have used Evans heads exclusively, and I like them. Someone who is a Remo fan may disagree but that again makes it your choice. I use coated G2's over clear G1's and that combo seems to bring out the best sound to me. You could also use coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors on the Remo side. Couldn't tell you much about Aquarians since I have never used them. Bottom line is that ANYTHING aftermarket will be better than the stock heads.

Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear. My favorite on my Renowns.

Heads are such a personal choice that I wouldn't presume to tell you which ones are the best. I can tell you, that I have used Evans heads exclusively, and I like them. Someone who is a Remo fan may disagree but that again makes it your choice. I use coated G2's over clear G1's and that combo seems to bring out the best sound to me. You could also use coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors on the Remo side. Couldn't tell you much about Aquarians since I have never used them. Bottom line is that ANYTHING aftermarket will be better than the stock heads.

Thanks I am still trying to decide on heads but I dont quite have the cash yet i am looking at ambassadors though and evans G2 seems like a popular choice

You should be able to tune the stock heads fairly well. Until you get the funds for heads I would spend time getting use to the set, and finding a very comfortable setup. The stock heads aren't terrible so just do the best you can tuning wise and keep smiling at those new cherry tubs. 8+)

I use Aquarian Studio-X (with power dot) and Classic clears on the reso. If you like a bit of muffling that is a pretty good combination.

Back