Do drummers have the ability to transcend time and space?

Mr Insane, my approach was to work on an average stick height and divide it into the speed of light per minute. Whatever, I don't think an Ambo would handle that kind of speed.

While we're being white and nerdy, a new element was added to the Periodic Table this year. It's called Ununpentium. Weird. Why not just call it Pentium?

I think you are right about the head. Would probably either disintegrate or melt before anyone ever got there!

I just read an article about Ununpentium. They said its name means one-one-five. Fitting since its atomic number is 115 and has 115 protons. Probably useless in itself as its half-life is .89 miliseconds.

I calculated the time it would take for the tip of the stick to accelerate from rest to 3e8 m/s over a distance of 10 cm. First you calculate the average acceleration, then the time. That's the time it'll take for the down stroke; the upstroke will take the same amount of time as the downstroke. Each stick does 2 upstrokes and 2 downstrokes per beat of sixteenths, so you can figure out how long each beat will be in seconds. You can work it out from there to get beats per minute.

Ah yes, Gadd's boson - the fundmental particle of the pocket. Lmao.

Okay, that's what I thought. That is a ton of strokes.

I think you are right about the head. Would probably either disintegrate or melt before anyone ever got there!

I just read an article about Ununpentium. They said its name means one-one-five. Fitting since its atomic number is 115 and has 115 protons. Probably useless in itself as its half-life is .89 miliseconds.

Well, I think I read that they are using magnetic containment fields in the experimental fusion reactor that is being built in Southern France, in an attempt to contain the fusion reaction. Perhaps we could create some sort of magnetic field head?

Bad drummers, in particular, can transcend time and space. It makes it seem like every body in the band is off-time and should be somewhere else at that very moment.

Bad drummers, in particular, can transcend time and space. It makes it seem like every body in the band is off-time and should be somewhere else at that very moment.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

I already answered this question five years from now.

if you see this time signature get up and run....

infinityjh.gif

I've noticed that my personal perception of tempo is skewed when I'm playing. When I'm playing something blazingly fast, it seems a medium tempo to me, and I hear each note, feel each sticking, can meditate to the space between the notes, etc. However, when I listen back to a recording of the show, I think to myself, "Holy crap! Is it REALLY that fast? Man, we should slow that tune down a hair..." Same thing with slow tunes, but the oppositie direction. "I thought it was slower." My only possible explanation is that while pushing the notes to either side of the beat (playing ahead or behind the beat) it makes time either stretch or constrict in my own mind. If playing ahead of the beat, the perception is that there is a lot more time to get the next note in, due to the little bit of extra time from playing the beat early, and vice versa for laying it back. The time and feel are good, but the perception of tempo is skewed, and listening to recordings is like awakening from the Matrix...

I've noticed that my personal perception of tempo is skewed when I'm playing. When I'm playing something blazingly fast, it seems a medium tempo to me, and I hear each note, feel each sticking, can meditate to the space between the notes, etc. However, when I listen back to a recording of the show, I think to myself, "Holy crap! Is it REALLY that fast? Man, we should slow that tune down a hair..." Same thing with slow tunes, but the oppositie direction. "I thought it was slower." My only possible explanation is that while pushing the notes to either side of the beat (playing ahead or behind the beat) it makes time either stretch or constrict in my own mind. If playing ahead of the beat, the perception is that there is a lot more time to get the next note in, due to the little bit of extra time from playing the beat early, and vice versa for laying it back. The time and feel are good, but the perception of tempo is skewed, and listening to recordings is like awakening from the Matrix...

There has to be some physiology/chemistry to this too I think.

For example when we are learning something that is faster than we can curently play, we train the muscles until they can cope. Eventually the muscles find this new speed easy and instead of having to concentrate each muscle movement, I think we feel the extra space, because we hit a point where we could actually activate the muscles for another note in between.

Add to this the adrenaline ie chemistry during gigs and I'm sure there is something too this.

However i am neither a physiologist or a chemist!

Record EVERYTHING. That's the only way to understand your own inner clock.

This isn't about inner clock. It is about the perception of time slowing down as we play faster. It's relativity for drummers.

This isn't about inner clock. It is about the perception of time slowing down as we play faster. It's relativity for drummers.

No, I know exactly what it's about because I'm writing a chapter in my book about it. Regarding the "inner spring".

I practice with tracks all the time; stuff that I'm either going to record, or stuff that I've already recorded that is fun to play. Some days I get into the room and it's as if I cannot play fast enough to keep up, or some days I'm just running over the time and rushing everything. It's that perception thing. So when I say "record everything" it's more or less to create a snapshot of your perception of that moment.

No, I know exactly what it's about because I'm writing a chapter in my book about it. Regarding the "inner spring".

I practice with tracks all the time; stuff that I'm either going to record, or stuff that I've already recorded that is fun to play. Some days I get into the room and it's as if I cannot play fast enough to keep up, or some days I'm just running over the time and rushing everything. It's that perception thing. So when I say "record everything" it's more or less to create a snapshot of your perception of that moment.

Oh okay, that makes more sense. As your speed increases, the "inner spring" as you put it would stretch, and we become more aware of the space in between the coils. The spring itself does not actually stretch though, just our perception of it. I think I like the spring analogy. They should use that in Physics class for those who don't get the concept of relativity.

How good are you at counting seconds? How many minutes before you go off? If you count again, will you be as accurate? I don't think anyone will be able to do it for very long with very consistency. As such, the same would hold true with respect to nailing the same song at the same bpm night after night. Bound to be some push and shove in that respect, it's all part of the feel of the performance. Slow night? Fast night? Drunk night? Who knows?

Time is all in your head, so the OP's question does make sense in some ways. It's like martial arts. The fastest wins. You're moving so fast, everything else seems to slow down around you. Bullet time, like the Matrix.

Back